Downshifts with 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,
I have a 2017 1500 4x4 with the 8 speed transmission (dial selector). I've got 55k miles and haven't done anything to the transmission. I don't tow anything on a regular basis but 3 times a year I may tow a trailer to go camping - total of about 1200lbs. including the trailer. My question is - can you guys feel the downshifts? When i'm coming to a red light and slowing down I can feel the truck downshift from 3rd-2nd and 2nd-1st gear. It's not a hard downshift and there's no abnormal noise when it happens - I guess I just started to notice it - never really paid attention to it. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I sometimes feel the downshifts on slow approaches to stops, whereas on a faster stop I don't at all.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mines done it since I’ve had it, gets a little more noticeable when I’m towing but not bad at all.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The truck has many sensors that work behind the scenes to make the truck work like a truck.

In everyday driving the truck is designed to keep RPMs downs and shifts smooth and mostly unnoticeable.

The truck will notice you have a trailer or a load and slightly advance towards a work truck.

This is why sometimes you notice and sometimes you do not.

Of course you can make the truck know it is to be in work mode by selecting tow/haul or pluging in a 7 pin trailer with electric brakes.

I wish the truck defaulted to a work tune and then you pushed the fuel mileage/cruiser button.