Drivers Side Heat/ Blend Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert kaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok my 2013 4.7 1500 is putting out barely lukewarm heat on the drivers side, passengers is hot. The truck has a single zone system.

Ive changed the thermostat and bleed the system thinking that might have been the problem. Flushed the heater core (with just water, no chemical). Thats when I realized it was just the drivers side that was the issue.

Going to try reflushing the core as I seen where the single zone systems can have issues where the lower core that heats the driver side can have some issues.

Also Ive seen conflicting info as to whether the single zone systems have the additional actuator on the rear of the heatbox that controls the blend door for the drivers side.

If its the actuator anyone have any suggestions short of pulling the entire dash to replace it. Is there a way to confirm its bad before tearing everything out.

Any other suggestions to try

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
My 13 hemi Ram is same way.About 20° cooler on drivers side. My heater hoses show no clog I chemical flushed anyway....didn't do any good.I see my actuator is working.Im told the heater box is same one used on dual zone just without some of the parts.Im beginning to believe that is the problem or the fan has blown dirt and dust on surface of core?And I even ran compressed air into the vents with no luck.At least I have heat.Im going to run a small tube and redistribute some heat over to the drivers side

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok my 2013 4.7 1500 is putting out barelt lukewarm heat on the drivers side, passengers is hot. The truck has a single zone system.

Ive changed the thermostat and bleed the system thinking that might have been the problem. Flushed the heater core (with just water, no chemical). Thats when I realized it was just the drivers side that was the issue.

Going to try reflushing the core as I seen where the single zone systems can have issues where the lower core that heats the driver side can have some issues.

Also Ive seen conflucting info as to whether the single zone systems have the additional actuator on the rear of the heatbox that controls the blend door for the drivers side.

If its the actuator anyone have any suggestions short of pulling the entire dash to replace it. Is there a way to confirm its bad before tearing everything out.

Any other suggestions to try

Manual says one blend door actuator for single zone system.

Blk340cuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

New to the forum, but I’m having the same problem with my 2013 Sport with dual climate zones. Driver side blows much cooler than passenger side. Along with that I feel like the fan doesn’t blow very hard at all. I’m taking it to dealer next week and I’m hoping that this isn’t going to turn into a major issue. Let me know how you guys make out.

Mike

Viper07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
How did u guys make out with this issue? I have the same problem

Viper07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
so update i just changed my heater core and it fixed the problem of no heat on the drivers side which is weird because the heater core didnt look like it was plugged to bad or anything sorry i dont have pic for refrence

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try heatertreater.com for some good info

Brzezinski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn 90,000 miles just purchase used from a dealership June 2020. I took my truck to the dealer this November because I have heat on the passenger side blowing normal and hot, however warm air blowing (25 degrees cooler) on the drivers side. I was quoted 1800.00 and told my heater core needs to be replaced. Looking at this forum I became skeptical of the dealers conclusion. In my experience heater core malfunctions typically don't blow hot air. I have felt intake and out pipes running to the heater core. Both are as they should be. One is hot, and the other is hot however not as hot as the other. I believe in good working order or normal from my experince.

I believe it is the blend door or blend door acuator. I was able to check 4 out of the 5 actuators with an endescope and they all move or function.

My question is; let say all of the actuators appear to be working looking through an endoscope. Could my blend doors on the dual climate still be broken?

I am planning to remove my dash this weekend to actually see what is going on. I would like to minimize the down time of my truck for the repair.

Could someone please give me any advice. Maybe get the actuator and blend door kit and replace them all considering I'm at 90,000 miles and it seems that this is a problem on these vehicles as they get older. Should I also replace the heater core anyway because I will have the dash all the way off and prevent future complications.

This is really bothering me because I can't seem to pinpoint what is going on.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank You in advance,

Drew

Bill Clune

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have heat anywhere, its not the core!
I am going threw this myself right now. It is either the blend door actuators or the blend doors themselves. Whatever you do don't by anything but factory actuators! The actuators don't of "off switches" in them, they are turned on and move until they stop, the computer monitors the voltage on that line, when the voltage changes because the motor cant move anymore its turns off the power. Cheep (dorman) aftermarket don't work right and break the plastic doors! Most likely your actuator is behind the radio which is fairly easy to get to.

Octane

Reaction score
Anytime a dash is pulled out of the truck down to that level the heater core should be replaced as a matter of course. And it wouldn't hurt to replace the evaporator also. But if I got torn into a truck that far and didn't have the money for the evaporator I would still definitely do that heater core. It doesn't matter if it's still good or not because on down the road it will eventually go bad and you will have to replace it then and tear that dash back out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990