Driving habits reported to your insurance company?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"i was told the reason insurance rates have gone up is because more and more people are driving without insurance, more vehicles are driving "driverless", and more people are driving while texting."
There's also a significant increase in people acquiring other peoples' cars without permission. A Canadian chief of police recently advised people to just "hang your FOB on the front door of your house" to prevent home invasions that seek to steal a car.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107973 miles.

MN2500

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr ecoTorque
My wife and I were talking about this the other day. We wouldn't be able to sneak around in any of our vehicles, the 2023 Ram 1500 and 2024 Hyundai Kona because they are tracked and the 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia and 1972 Volkswagen Westfalia Campmobile because they stick out like sore thumbs!

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I opted out...

Having said that, I'll bet all of you have Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, or at least use Amazon or Google search, Facebook, etc.

Know this... You're being tracked nearly 100% of the time.

And the insurance is going up mostly due to the "Defund the Police" BS. They're not prosecuting anyone for crimes anymore cause "the insurance will pay it".

My homeowners went up 20% this year - never had a claim in 32 years. Don't live in a high crime, flood, or other natural disaster area.
But I'm paying for those that do.
We know we are tracked on the phones, but that doesn't make its way back to my insurance company when I drive any of my vehicles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know how they're tracking me, but they know where to send the bill. My auto insurance (no accidents in 47 years: no tickets in 18) went from $717 to $1014 per year.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 107973 miles.

Wolverine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2022 Corvette and discovered that my driving habits were being tracked and reported through their "OnStar" hardware, including what they consider hard acceleration and hard braking events. I disabled this in the app by unenrolling from Chevrolet "Smart Driver", which of course was turned "on" by default. A few of my friends mentioned their information has been sold and even ended up on their credit report in some cases. They literally assign you a driving score!

I'm wondering if Stellantis is doing the same on their connected vehicles (like the new Ram?)
I believe yes, Stellantis - FCA is monitoring Ram owners driving and selling the data to insurers through its Mobilisights subsidiary. What's not clear is how they are getting our consent.

Excerpt on the privacy notice, data collected includes:

"your Vehicle’s GPS location, as well as your mobile device’s location information with your consent. If Connected Services are enabled, geolocation data is transmitted from your Vehicle to FCA, and in some cases, to third parties in order to enable certain Connected Services."

"dates and times of use; speed, acceleration and braking data; direction of travel; trip data (e.g., mileage, date, time, weather conditions, location, route taken); ignition events; steering events; cruise control data; seatbelt status;

There is an opt-out process.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 11.22.35 AM.png

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get the “Big Brother” issue. However, your vehicle is only one of many ways your every day life is tracked. Your phone, your credit card, your online computer activity, your tv watching, your health records and on and on. I choose to just embrace it. My USAA driving app resulted in a 15% decrease in my premium on my last renewal. Relax, accept what you cannot change and enjoy your truck!

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
For years accident investigators have gone straight to the vehicle and downloaded the information contained on the device to give the insurance company and the investigators working whatever type of accident is involved. The devices used now are much more efficient and no doubt are accessed remotely. They call it progress, but now they know what you did or didn’t do and cancel your insurance before the smoke clears. PROGRESS

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I think we may be on a similar page, I know that carrying a cell phone is likely broadcasting my whereabouts to a Google server somewhere but I can't sacrifice that convenience perk, not yet anyway.

I do have my cell phone locked down, I've uninstalled, disabled, and removed network access for hundreds of apps but I know that the few apps that I allow network access to, are capable of sending tracking data.

While the articles linked above identify the automotive industry as the largest violator of our privacy, I believe that pales in comparison to Android, Apple, and cell phones.

Your position is that technically, we are legally bound to stay connected. My position as a retired Telecom technician is that it won't be that difficult to physically remove the upstream data signal. :cool:

Regardless of any legal implications or technical challenges, the day that insurance companies start to exploit our wallets further, based on data harvested from our vehicles, will be the same day that I will be disconnecting my data stream, one way or another.

Once my warranty has expired, I see no requirement to send my data. I'm confident that they won't be pursuing a 5-year-old Warlock that's dropped off the map. :cool:

"My position as a retired Telecom technician is that it won't be that difficult to physically remove the upstream data signal."

My thought to the above is that if you are willing to post a tutorial on how exactly to do this - you might have more than a few of us willing to contribute a few beers, cigars, whiskeys, etc. in exchange for that knowledge . . . just sayin'

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
Yup, insurance rates are up everywhere…registration fee for yearly tags are through the roof in Cali…DMV doesn’t even use lube before they screw you, before you say it, I don’t vote for Democrats, I seriously need to relocate

AllenClarksbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get emails from Stellantis reporting my 2022 RAM 2500's tire pressures and oil life remaining. If they have that, they have the whole driving data set. Lexis Nexis will buy that and sell it to insurance companies so I am sure RAM sells it to them. I never signed up for any remote reporting so I am going to look deep into the bowels of UConnect to see if I can UDisconnect.

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You can't get away with anything thanks to Big Brother. They want to know when the next revolution is gonna start. Soon I hope.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I get emails from Stellantis reporting my 2022 RAM 2500's tire pressures and oil life remaining. If they have that, they have the whole driving data set. Lexis Nexis will buy that and sell it to insurance companies so I am sure RAM sells it to them. I never signed up for any remote reporting so I am going to look deep into the bowels of UConnect to see if I can UDisconnect.
I get the same on my 2020 Ram. I discontinued all the services when the 36 month "free period" ran out.

Here's the thing - I have the 2020 1500, my wife's 2018 Kia Optima, and a 2006 Chrysler 300. The Ram and the Kia are definitely connected. The Chrysler - not so much.

Last 6 months insurance:

06 Chrysler: 35% increase
18 Kia: 25% increase
20 Ram: 9% Increase

We live in Indiana and haven't had a claim since the Busch administration (other person at fault).

Takeaway - I need to sell the Chrysler or put a monitor on it?? The cost to insure this car is within $40/year of my truck.

And yes, I will be calling my agent to ask WT$?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the same on my 2020 Ram. I discontinued all the services when the 36 month "free period" ran out.

Here's the thing - I have the 2020 1500, my wife's 2018 Kia Optima, and a 2006 Chrysler 300. The Ram and the Kia are definitely connected. The Chrysler - not so much.

Last 6 months insurance:

06 Chrysler: 35% increase
18 Kia: 25% increase
20 Ram: 9% Increase

We live in Indiana and haven't had a claim since the Busch administration (other person at fault).

Takeaway - I need to sell the Chrysler or put a monitor on it?? The cost to insure this car is within $40/year of my truck.

And yes, I will be calling my agent to ask WT$?

Insurance prices all boil down to zip codes and the accident stats on the vehicle.

Ten years ago, I paid less to insure my 7 year old Tundra Limited than the gf paid for her 13 year old POS basic model Saturn.

I'm sure it was all about how much it would have cost them if we were hit by someone else. Obviously, with the Tundra, there would be a much better likelihood of walking away.

In January '22, the insurance on my RAM was about $1050 Canadastan $, then in '23 it jumped up to about $1300.

I shopped around and couldn't save much anywhere else that I checked.

The insurance companies are paying out too much for death benefits and property damage.

Last edited:

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What makes this even more funny, the government trying to ban tiktok.. meanwhile, Facebook, insta, and now cars are doing exactly what they blame tiktok of doing, and people are just blinded..

Dustyroadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 22 Ram 2500 has a shark fin on rooftop above passenger side.
If I cut the wires to it,would that disable the "tattle Tale"from sending/reveiving info?
I do my own service under warranty.