Driving lights lose power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram is a 2007, and I recently installed a set of factory driving lights.
I have 12v power at the connector to the bulb, but when I connect the bulb, the 12v power drops of to 0v.
Remove the bulb, and power returns to 12v.
If anyone could give me some insight as to what the issue is, it would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Brad1

Brad1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yah, it’s got me stumped too. I Could have to give the lights their own circuit, relay and switch.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
tpim pulling power maybe thinking its a fault just a thought.

OP
OP
Brad1

Brad1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really sure why I’m getting a power drop. It’s factory driving lights, plugged into the factory harness.
But thank you for your thoughts and input. I’m open now to any reasonable idea

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Have you tried hooking the bulb directly to the battery to see if there is a problem with the bulb ? See if it lights up bypassing the factory harness and everything. The only thing I can think of that would cause this issue is there is a problem with the bulb and a relay or something senses it and shuts off the power to the light to avoid a short and overload of the circuit. Gotta love these computer controlled circuits.

OP
OP
Brad1

Brad1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the response.
Yes, I checked the bulbs direct to the battery and they light just fine.
I also tried a normal 1157 bulb (tail light bulb) in the circuit, and that also wouldn’t light. So it must be in the driving light circuit, which is all factory.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
are you talking about the fog lights or drls? if its fog lights try a new relay.

OP
OP
Brad1

Brad1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, it’s the lights down in the front bumper.
I’ll try replacing the relay.
It’s just strange that 12v power is sitting at the connector to the bulbs until it’s actually connected to the bulb.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It could be a bad ground as well! The reason I say that is I do HVAC work, and had electrical issues,, from Hot to ground, IE: Metal I get 120vac,, Then when Hot to control ground I may see 40 vac, Fix ground and all normal !! So with your meter what do you get from Hot wire to Metal truck body,?? What to ground wire ? Thats all I can think of ,as I am no gear head like the others here.. Worth a shot ! Not sure this works the same in a 12 v system

OP
OP
Brad1

Brad1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could be a poor ground. I’ll try running a separate temporary ground to rule that out also.
Thanks for any reply.