Drop-in Vs Spray-in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am torn between saving money and just buying a drop in liner, or spending the money on the spray in. What do yall think, i can get a drop in for about 150-250 by pediliner (i think that is how it is spelt)

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I hate drop in liners. I've yanked them out of every truck I've bought. There's always been water, dirt, leaves and all other kinds of crud under them.

I got lucky with my Dakota, the PO had rhino liner applied, and my Ram has the factory spray in liner. If they didn't I would 100% spring for it even though they are pricey.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Go spray in. You can do it yourself for less or the same as a drop in. I've used the duplicolor roll on bedliner on my past 3 truck's. Never had a issue. Only "complaint" is the duplicolor is more coarse then other's.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm not sure about the Pendaliner but my 19 Laramie came with a RAM plastic bedliner insert so I kept it. My last truck 14 Sport had the spray-in liner that I was also happy with. My 2000 Silverado had a plastic bed liner (Possibly Pentaliner IIRC) and when I sold it 14 years later the only part of the truck that didn't have rust was the bed so the liner never caused any rust.

This is my 19 bed with the liner and Utility Bed Rails. You will also need a bed rug of some kind with either choice though. My plastic liner is tough and you'd need to really beat the hell out of it to cause any damage. I'd guess the plastic liner is about 1/8" thick and Linex says it's liner is 1/8" max in the bed and thinner on the sides. My bed has an Access bed rug cut down from my 14 Sport so it's 5 years old and still doing well.

I'd say either choice is much better than nothing and neither will be a bad choice.

IMG_20191002_162611.jpg

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I am torn between saving money and just buying a drop in liner, or spending the money on the spray in. What do yall think, i can get a drop in for about 150-250 by pediliner (i think that is how it is spelt)

It depends on what you are going for.
Work truck Vs show.
My truck is always loadedd with something and works great keeping stuff from moving around.

I have the Weatherteck

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I pick spray in vs. drop ins because:

1. Drop ins damage the bed by sliding around. I know you have to prep a bed to accept a spray in lining but it's uniform.

2. Drop ins trap dirt, debris and water which promotes rust. A spray in does not.

3. Drop ins warp, raising the bottom and sides away from the bed. At the end of the day they look cheap and tatty. A spray in liner has none of those problems.

4. One advantage of the drop ins is that once they look like heck you can replace them. However, you can recondition a spray in liner so being able to remove the drop in may not really be an advantage.

5. Drop ins are cheaper but you could end up replacing them 2 or 3 times depending on how long you own the truck. This is not so with a spray in.

Just my two cents worth.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have y'all used Trex liner? The do it yourself liner?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the bed rug impact mat. Cheaper than a spray in, can be installed in 10 minutes and is cushioned.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I will buy the Dualliner next. 5 piece snap in liner with rubber bed mat. $400 I have had both spray in and drop in. Dualliner looks best to.me.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had both drop in and spray in, hands down spray in. However, on my 2020 I invested in a full bed, Bed Rug. Easy to install, cost was spot on, works as well as any liner in the past.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've owned both. Kind of a toss up I feel, really depends on how you use the truck or what you haul I think?

Spray in looks clean, good protection but not as good as a drop in (from my experience). I've chipped and dented beds with the spray in stuff before but never with a drop in. I can throw a cinder block in the drop in, wouldn't dream of doing that with a spray in.
Drop in offers the most protection from denting, have never had an issue with rust or water sitting under one but they don't look as nice and items slide around easily (my biggest complaint). Also the tailgate piece can not lay flat sometimes

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had six pick ups since '99. All had drop ins but one. I installed a $100 rubber floor mat for that one. Threw a fiberglass (plastic) step ladder in that one, and dented the brand new wheel arch. Had to look at that dent till I traded the truck.
I swear by drop ins. Best is, they prevent dents.
Easier to keep clean. Rough surfaces trap dirt and everything.
I now have one that was shipped to me in pieces (name redacted, you figure it out), and I installed myself, bypassing the dealer torture.
It is so totally great I have no words.
Hint: Something-Liner.

cptnmurff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI or my impressions: I and my friends also have had both types. The Drop-In Liner does allow you to be more careless when you throw heavier stuff in to the bed without as many creating dents as the Spray-In Liners. But they look cheap and after a few years they too end up with lots of scratches and gouges. They oxidize looking old way too quickly. They trap abrasive material between the drop-in liner and the truck bed. Find an older truck that has had a drop-in liner installed for a few years and lift it up. You'll see that the bed's paint has been sanded away by this trapped abrasive material in lots of places. Not good if you live in areas that salt their roadways in winter. If you're the type that just throws in stuff without thinking, this bed liner might be for you. But I and friends have dented our beds even with a drop-in liners, buy dropping and throwing heavy crap onto the beds carelessly. We all were told and believed that this would not have dented our beds. Not true. The trucks with Sprayed-In Liners all have had no rust issues. All of us have learned to be more careful how we toss material in to the truck beds, wanting to take care of the truck beds for eventual truck re-sale. Also the drop-in liners are very slick and stuff slides around in the bed. Not good either. Some people prefer the spray-in liner material because the non-slick material is rougher or have a slightly abrasive surface which prevents stuff from sliding around in the bed. Much prefered for securing bed cargos. It's still a tough decision, depending how hard you are going to use your you truck, how hard you're going to be on it, how you want it to look down the road. And of course, what kind of funds you have to invest in your truck... One more point, don't settle for one type when you really want the other... You'll always regret it down the road ! Good luck my friends...

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used
Dee Zee Truck Bed Mats
It stops stuff sliding around and is easy to remove and clean

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray in... then DeeZee rubber mat on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Drop in....better protection like others have already said.