Dual exhaust on RAm 1500 with Flowmaster Outlaw mufflers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny_munyak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 2018 Ram 1500 with true duals from front to back. X pipe, 2 1/2" pipe with Thrust Rattlers to factory tailpipes with resonators removed.

One would think this setup is loud....but it isn't very. The single setup flowmaster super 10 with stock resonators and tips was WAY louder but had some drone.

This dual exhaust setup with the x pipe and single chamber thrust rattlers has very little if any cab noise or drone at highway speeds. The drone part I'm happy with .....the exhaust tone out the back....not so much.

I'd like to replace the rattlers with the flowmaster outlaw round mufflers. Flowmaster uses them in their catback kit for the 2019's so was thinking they can't be too bad and might be what I"m looking for.

Thought of race bullets by dynomax but heard they are VERY loud and get louder as packing burns out.

Has anyone used these mufflers before? Any other suggestions??

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
12” cherry bomb glasspacks dual off the x pipe. These things hardly have any drone and when you tap the gas, they have a nice loud rumble, but aggressively loud! They are even louder over time as they break in. I’ve had them on my last setup and thinking of going back to them.
I’m currently running dual 26” magnaflow glasspacks with a true dual x pipe/Long tubes/cat delete/2.5 exhaust. Don’t have the same note that I like with the cherry bombs.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I've got a 2018 Ram 1500 with true duals from front to back. X pipe, 2 1/2" pipe with Thrust Rattlers to factory tailpipes with resonators removed.

One would think this setup is loud....but it isn't very. The single setup flowmaster super 10 with stock resonators and tips was WAY louder but had some drone.

This dual exhaust setup with the x pipe and single chamber thrust rattlers has very little if any cab noise or drone at highway speeds. The drone part I'm happy with .....the exhaust tone out the back....not so much.

I'd like to replace the rattlers with the flowmaster outlaw round mufflers. Flowmaster uses them in their catback kit for the 2019's so was thinking they can't be too bad and might be what I"m looking for.

Thought of race bullets by dynomax but heard they are VERY loud and get louder as packing burns out.

Has anyone used these mufflers before? Any other suggestions??
That is a awesome setup. Put the flowmasters on! I loved mine a long time ago. Let's hear it!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Flowmaster Outlaw setup on my Challenger has the X, the short race outlaws, and the exhaust valves deleted. Still running the stock SRT shorty headers and factory cats and it is LOUD if that is what you are after. The inside of my outlaws is basically nothing but some of their "Delta" rings to combat rasp and supposedly help flow through the "muffler". They do make the tone a bit deeper and less raspy than straight pipes, but they aren't much of a muffler.

Here's a picture from the outlet side, only internal shot I took before they went on, to get an ideal of what you'd be dealing with. That car is a bit droney at certain RPM's and I wouldn't want to daily drive it, but the tone out of the 6.4 is perfect when I want to go have some fun. They snap, crackle, pop on downshifts or hard decel and WOT upshifts. Once its warmed up idle isn't too bad and it's manageable to stay at a reasonable volume if you're just putting around town if you can keep your foot out of it.

The outlaw direct fit for the new 1500's looks noticeably longer with a few more of the rings, as well as a bigger body which I imagine is how it stays reasonable when keeping the factory tailpipe resonators. I would stick to the larger/longer bodies if you do go with outlaws or the bigger race bullets if you end up with that sort of muffler.

Alternatively you could run dual super 10s if you prefer that sound with a secondary H pipe after the mufflers to combat some drone. You can see examples of secondary H pipes in setups like some of the AFE cat backs for the cars which from what I've heard actually does a fairly decent job combating drone similarly to running J pipes.

E62DAF17-0B7C-4435-891A-E0FA128FE008_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
J

johnny_munyak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the comparison and image. Gives me some insights. My intention was to use the longer outlaws...they are 12" long in body length in comparison to 6" of the shorties....although not sure it will make a huge difference as there isnt much in it to begin with.

Id like to give them a trial but no muffler shops in the area carry the mufflers and are special order...otherwise they would stick em on the truck and give them a test run before welding them up...so basically if they order them...they are mine....which is why im trying to decide if this is a good idea or not.

OP
OP
J

johnny_munyak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've decided to go with some Carven R Series mufflers on my dual setup. Hoping it won't be TOO LOUD. Resonators are already removed. Hoping the X pipe will smooth things out a little. Just waiting on mufflers to arrive then its a trip to the muffler shop.