eBay catch can installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I did this a while ago with a catch can I had from my GTP. Painted it orange and even put a manual drain at the bottom.

20130707_154230.jpg

20130707_192444.jpg

20130707_192450.jpg

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this a while ago with a catch can I had from my GTP. Painted it orange and even put a manual drain at the bottom.

I like your drain location. I originally was going to try to mount my square can to that bracket but it didn't work out.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That's a great location for the drain tube. I did the same thing on my Moroso CC. I ran a tube down thru that bracket with the hole in it. Its like it was made for a drain tube.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That's a great location for the drain tube. I did the same thing on my Moroso CC. I ran a tube down thru that bracket with the hole in it. Its like it was made for a drain tube.

Yeah, it sure seems like it. I just looked down and was like. Umm that looks perfect. lol

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Five pages of posts on catch cans. Thought with all the new members since New Year this might be a fun thread to bump.

Pretty clear it doesn't matter which one you go with, the amount of yilch you will collect proves the benefit of installing any catch can over leaving the the stock set-up. :burnout:

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will definitely report back after about 1000 miles to see what I've collected. With the amount of driving I do that may be Christmas though ;)

Update:
I have emptied it twice now. Got about as much as out as others have. That funk smells truly wretched.

Mechanic at dealership asked what it was (catch can). When I explained it to him he said that based on what he had seen in higher milage trucks it was a good idea.

In summary, it works.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
What's the idea behind the chore boy filter? My BT didn't come with anything like that.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the idea behind the chore boy filter? My BT didn't come with anything like that.

There is oil/gunk vapor in the air which can be recirculated with the air which passes though unless a filter media, the "chore boy"/steel wool in this case, is used.
Some better catch cans have this media which should help accumulate xtra gunk.
HOWEVER, I'm still not convinced there is a fair comparison going on. I see such disparate amounts of gunk being collected from one member to another and there are SO many variables; stop and go traffic? Short trips? Towing? Atmospheric conditions where we drive? slight engine build differences? These could also explain how some members claim MPG which I will never see in my life; sometimes things are just different.
No matter what, catch-can up!:banana-mario:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
In the cap of your BT where the two hoses attach there should be a partition with something that looks like a chore boy scrub pad for filtering. If you have an e-bay special you may not have the filter. If you have a BT, its probably there, but you'd have to uninstall it, or use an inspection mirror to see it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is oil/gunk vapor in the air which can be recirculated with the air which passes though unless a filter media, the "chore boy"/steel wool in this case, is used.
Some better catch cans have this media which should help accumulate xtra gunk.
HOWEVER, I'm still not convinced there is a fair comparison going on. I see such disparate amounts of gunk being collected from one member to another and there are SO many variables; stop and go traffic? Short trips? Towing? Atmospheric conditions where we drive? slight engine build differences? These could also explain how some members claim MPG which I will never see in my life; sometimes things are just different.
No matter what, catch-can up!:banana-mario:

PRetty much sums it up

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much hose (and what size) did you have to buy???

I don't remember the hose size. I just took the fitting to auto zone and stuck it in hoses till one fit. I think I bought 7ft so I would have plenty.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oh also can you show a picture of how you attached it to your airbox? Did you just screw it in there and 3m tape the can to the supplied bracket or did you use a custom bracket?

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh also can you show a picture of how you attached it to your airbox? Did you just screw it in there and 3m tape the can to the supplied bracket or did you use a custom bracket?

I'm out of town but I will send a pic when I get back to my truck thurs or fri.
The supplied bracket for mine bolted to the catch can. Then I bought some small nuts and bolts and attached it to the air box. No custom bracket needed.

OP
OP
DanielSix26

DanielSix26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm out of town but I will send a pic when I get back to my truck thurs or fri.
The supplied bracket for mine bolted to the catch can. Then I bought some small nuts and bolts and attached it to the air box. No custom bracket needed.

Here is a blown up version of a pic on the first page of the thread. It's kind of blurry but you can see how it's attached. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396905703.956294.jpg

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the idea :) just finished. The ebay link I posted was out of black so I had to get gunmetal and honestly it blends just as well as black, it just too forever to get sorted out with the seller. It arrived yesterday. Took me about an hour to install it as I made it look neat like yours.

If anyone is wondering I used 1/4" bolts/washers/nuts to secure it to the intake box. And I got 5 feet if 1/2" radiator hose (I guess over 1/4" its not called fuel line anymore, but its the same stuff..). Can cost me 33 bucks, 5 bucks for the hose, 3 bucks for the nuts/bolts/washers and 3 bucks for the "chore boy scrubbers". so around 44 bucks

Here it is.

20140421_193940.jpg

The hose clamps that came with it will not go around the ends on the catch can, but they are on the nipples on the motor. I need to get some that are a tad bigger so i can secure it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca