ECM Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparGuy1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2004 Ram 1500 keeps stalling out on me. I had my mechanic go thru it and he thinks it is the ECM bc the light on the dash is a lightning bolt inside 2 reverse parentheses. He hooked up his equipment and its not getting power to the ECM. Originally he thought it might be the throttle body. Ive been told that i have to take it to a Dodge dealership to have it diagnosed which is $125 then $125 if it needs to be reprogrammed. A new ECM is $325 through my local parts store, but I know that the dealership in town will not want to install it for me. They will want me to purchase their ECM which will cost me way more money than an OEM replacement. Any ideas??

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly its almost never the pcm proably a wiring issue to the throttle body have you had it scanned? if so what are the codes?

OP
OP
MoparGuy1973

MoparGuy1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My mechanic hooked up some scanner type of thing after he took the throttle body apart and checked it out, then he hooked up a scanner type of thing and he said there is no power going to the throttle body

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mechanic hooked up some scanner type of thing after he took the throttle body apart and checked it out, then he hooked up a scanner type of thing and he said there is no power going to the throttle body
I would check for a wiring issue trace back the wires from throttle body you need a good wire diagram also the dealership is probably not the best place to take it find a good independent shop.

OP
OP
MoparGuy1973

MoparGuy1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would check for a wiring issue trace back the wires from throttle body you need a good wire diagram also the dealership is probably not the best place to take it find a good independent shop.
Im not a fan of taking my truck to my local dealership. They recently got bought out and the techs ive dealt with there seem to do their job half ass. Its like theyre just there for a paycheck and have no love for being a MOPAR mechanic

OP
OP
MoparGuy1973

MoparGuy1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im no mechanic or electrician by any stretch of the imagination, so what would i be looking for when i trace the wiring back to the ecm