ECM Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTGinnings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2007 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins, no mods. I was driving and the truck died the same time the lights in the dash flashed of and on, then the check gauges light came on. After that it would crank and not start. I had a code for the EGR that was no longer there, nor any other codes. I couldn't hear the fuel pump coming on. I was able to test the fuel pump to verify it was still good, just not turning on. After some research, I came to the conclusion the ECM must have crapped out. I ordered an ECM from an on line company, sent them my VIN, and received a programmed ECM. Batteries were charged, terminals cleaned, grounds checked, and installed the new ECM. Happily, the truck started. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, then drove it around the block a time or two. As it was sitting there while I put stuff away, still idling, and it died. Then it would crank like it had before. I had a friend connect with his Snap-On diagnostic computer and the ECM was in Security mode, that he couldn't clear.

I spoke with a dealership, and the tech there told me that I hadn't programmed the key to the ECU, so it went into security mode. So, I towed it to the dealership to program it for me and it turned out they couldn't get the Security mode to clear either. I had a warranty with the computer company, so I have another computer on the way.

I called the company that sold me the computer and asked about the key programming, as it wasn't anywhere in their directions. The company says they've never heard of that. The tech I spoke to specifically said he's been there 15 years and never heard of that. So now I've got a new computer coming, the dealership says I need to have them program the key to it, and the company says all I have to do is plug it in and it'll work. Now I'm wondering who is right. If I don't have to pay for another hour of labor for the dealership to program it, then I won't bother.

Has anyone come across this problem? Who would you believe first?

Cj62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No but I'm in need of the ECM also did you have to program the fob with the 2nd one let me know after I get one I think I should get them to install and program it for me