Eco diesel engine blown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck was tuned by eco diesel USA in Texas. So I believe all the work done was correctly. I have all paperwork as well. Records of every single oil change and any other maintenance done. Truck was meticulously taken care of. Previous own was injured at his job and had to sell this truck among other things.
Then I'd say you have a decent case to go after a warranty claim. Documentation always helps. Why the console of my truck is full of oil change receipts, tire rotations, etc.

Especially if you spun a bearing, which appears to be the primary point of failure in engines of that type and generation. Emissions mods have nothing to do with that. Of course whatever shop you are going through would have to tear the engine down to determine exact point of failure.

Once you've got a diagnosis from the shop more than "Yep, it's broke." you can go down the warranty route on cost. Ultimately won't help you get an engine faster but may ease the suffering of your wallet.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the extended warranty through 2028 unlimited miles but the guy that owned it before me deleted the dpf so I believe it voids that warranty.
Moss Magnuson act should apply, if the modification didn't or couldn't cause the issue that you are claiming then warranty must be honored. I don't have a diesel so not sure what part it was he deleted or if it could cause the damage you have.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good luck with the Magnuson Moss route. It looks good on paper, but the manufacturer actually has the advantage here. They're the ones holding all the cards. They tell you it's not covered for whatever reason. In their minds it ends there. Which means you're the one who has to go through all the effort to get them to cover it. Hiring an attorney, going to court, taking time off work, and likely lots of emails, texts, letters to be written. An independent shop to verify what caused the failure. It's not an automatic thing. They're not going to cave just because you mention Magnuson Moss. The burden of proof should be on them to prove that your modification caused the failure. The reality is that burden shifts to the customer who's trying to get their claim covered.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Good luck with the Magnuson Moss route. It looks good on paper, but the manufacturer actually has the advantage here. They're the ones holding all the cards. They tell you it's not covered for whatever reason. In their minds it ends there. Which means you're the one who has to go through all the effort to get them to cover it. Hiring an attorney, going to court, taking time off work, and likely lots of emails, texts, letters to be written. An independent shop to verify what caused the failure. It's not an automatic thing. They're not going to cave just because you mention Magnuson Moss. The burden of proof should be on them to prove that your modification caused the failure. The reality is that burden shifts to the customer who's trying to get their claim covered.
Yea I figured as much. But a 20+ thousand dollar repair on a half ton truck that’s only worth 25-30k seems insane. Let alone it happened at 120k miles and not even touching the throttle.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I talked to Chrysler directly, also talked with several dealerships and a ‘mopar giant’ part distributor. I am in appanoose county. Bad part about finding a used one from salvage is they are still very pricey and you don’t know what you’re getting into.
Wowzers your out in the middle of now wear down next to MO, I'm originally from up north in Mason City.. Good luck finding another engine or getting it fixed under warranty

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Wowzers your out in the middle of now wear down next to MO, I'm originally from up north in Mason City.. Good luck finding another engine or getting it fixed under warranty
Yessir. 14 miles to MO state line. And thanks man, I appreciate it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck was tuned by eco diesel USA in Texas. So I believe all the work done was correctly. I have all paperwork as well. Records of every single oil change and any other maintenance done. Truck was meticulously taken care of. Previous own was injured at his job and had to sell this truck among other things.
Tune should have nothing to do with engine seize. But you gonna have to go the whole route of having it ripped open and diagnosed if you do the Court Route. The only bad thing is deleting/defeating EPA systems not good. ASK FCA, they paid out a bunch of $$$ on the EPA/CARB tuning from the 2nd Gen ED's. Heck, I had sold my ED and I still got a check from FCA after the EPA/CARB suit was settled.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Sad for you. I don't anyone that is happy with the Ecodiesel. I bought a Ram because the Cummins 6.7 liter engine is a Fifth gen design know for longevity. Sometimes you have to just give up and punt.
I enjoyed mine, the way it drove and the mileage that it got. When I replaced it I would have bought another if I could have found one optioned the way I wanted.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I enjoyed mine, the way it drove and the mileage that it got. When I replaced it I would have bought another if I could have found one optioned the way I wanted.
I see U like me jumped from ED to Hemi. I liked mine also. But when they had the big CARB suit, and started messing with the tunes, the dang truck just about stalled one day pulling out of all places a funeral home. IT was gone in a week. (I had a 2015 also).

But yeah, towing my hay trailer at 11 mpg, vs the 20 ish was a big hit, but alas, U gotta do what U gotta do.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Tune should have nothing to do with engine seize. But you gonna have to go the whole route of having it ripped open and diagnosed if you do the Court Route. The only bad thing is deleting/defeating EPA systems not good. ASK FCA, they paid out a bunch of $$$ on the EPA/CARB tuning from the 2nd Gen ED's. Heck, I had sold my ED and I still got a check from FCA after the EPA/CARB suit was settled.
I was reading about that last night! My truck is actually one of the ones that is part of that suit I believe.
i absolutely love the truck. Just seems this is extremely common. An engine distribution place only 3 hours away has over 600 people on wait list for engine.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was reading about that last night! My truck is actually one of the ones that is part of that suit I believe.

i absolutely love the truck. Just seems this is extremely common. An engine distribution place only 3 hours away has over 600 people on wait list for engine.
YUP, when I was last on ED Forum in 2018, they were quoting 1 year time backlog for ED motors from Italy.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still like that
WELL< now, if it is that bad, I wonder what happens when they end production as they R now of the ED. Now, the lil 3.0 diesels have been in Europe for years, which may be why FCA tried to adapt them, but not sure a European 3.0 diesel gonna do well with all the US stuff and whether or not it would even work. Should be interesting and I sure hope not an issue for the owners of ED's in the future. Just thinking out loud.

Paco3453

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My. 2014 eco diesel was the best truck I ever owned.300,000 kms. And ran like a top. 32mpg on highway. Towed a tandum dump trailer full of trees and rocks. Biggest load was 20,000gvw. I call ******** on people fishing the eco diesel. Buying used is a huge risk, nothing to do with the vehicle. Hope my 2022 lasts as long. Old Thread,but pissed me off.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
Still like that
My 2016 eco-diesel just blew the engine with 135,000 miles in November and I just picked up my new engine from the dealership today to the tune of $15,000. I’m getting a private shop to install. Did you have any luck getting an engine yet?

Thomas52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Texas lemon law requires the vehicle to be down for 30 days.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 eco-diesel runs like a champ

Believe it or not, i just got a 6 year, 60,000 mile MOPAR extended warranty papers in the mail.

It was a factory order that i received back in January 16, 2016
I had a complete Inspection done last month

Farmerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Man, I gotta stay off these forums for peace of mind.....
I have a 2014 that I got 5yrs ago, did the ecu swap with a gde tuned one to be rid of egr horror stories about a year later. Trucks been great, hauls loads just amazingly but I wonder when it'll blow....
I use tow haul mode a lot to keep rpms up because I'm fairly certain it's the tall gearing causing "lugging" taking out bearings.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Man, I gotta stay off these forums for peace of mind.....
I have a 2014 that I got 5yrs ago, did the ecu swap with a gde tuned one to be rid of egr horror stories about a year later. Trucks been great, hauls loads just amazingly but I wonder when it'll blow....
I use tow haul mode a lot to keep rpms up because I'm fairly certain it's the tall gearing causing "lugging" taking out bearings.
Lots of 2nd Gen Ecodiesels on the road with TONS of trouble-free miles...especially the ones with the GDE tuning.