Eco diesel engine blown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2016 ram 1500 ecodiesel. 120,000 miles. About a month ago I was going around a curve not even touching the throttle and started hearing a pound clanking noise. I got out to check things over and oil was dumping out of the bottom of the engine. Idk if it jumped time or threw a rod or what. I can’t find a hole in the block, over 600 people on a waitlist for an $11000 dollar engine that Chrysler can’t tell us when a release date is for engines because they are “redesigning” the engine. I use this truck for work. At 120,000 miles a diesel engine should not be blown. The most this truck has ever towed is 3000 pounds. Just looking for advise or suggestions on what could’ve happened.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IIRC you have a 2nd gen engine and some of those that came from one engine factory in Italy had a large number of problem engines, as I understand it those problems are long gone with the 3rd Gen engines, my self I have not heard of a new engine redesign but then I do no keep up with the ECO engines, I heard they are being fazed out of the RAM truck line up.. Are you only talking to just your local Ram dealer or more than one, I hope more than just your local dealership? Your choice my be finding a rebuilt engine, finding one out of a recycle yard or wrecked truck.. BTW what part of IA are you in?

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I talked to Chrysler directly, also talked with several dealerships and a ‘mopar giant’ part distributor. I am in appanoose county. Bad part about finding a used one from salvage is they are still very pricey and you don’t know what you’re getting into.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Time to dump the truck. Eco Diesels are being dropped from the lineup because they are utter and absolute garbage. Those engines aren't like the Cummins, they aren't built as strongly and aren't nearly as durable as a result.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Time to dump the truck. Eco Diesels are being dropped from the lineup because they are utter and absolute garbage. Those engines aren't like the Cummins, they aren't built as strongly and aren't nearly as durable as a result.
Hard to just dump it with a 24k loan on it. Haha

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to just dump it with a 24k loan on it. Haha
Caveat emptor, my friend. Getting a 24k loan on something with 100k+ miles, that's a tough lesson to learn. Also why I preach, preach, preach "get the extended warranty"... especially if you are financing. My sympathies.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Caveat emptor, my friend. Getting a 24k loan on something with 100k+ miles, that's a tough lesson to learn. Also why I preach, preach, preach "get the extended warranty"... especially if you are financing. My sympathies.
Bought it with under 100k. Heck anymore it’s near impossible to find a truck with under 100k and under $30k

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have the extended warranty through 2028 unlimited miles but the guy that owned it before me deleted the dpf so I believe it voids that warranty.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Sad for you. I don't anyone that is happy with the Ecodiesel. I bought a Ram because the Cummins 6.7 liter engine is a Fifth gen design know for longevity. Sometimes you have to just give up and punt.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the extended warranty through 2028 unlimited miles but the guy that owned it before me deleted the dpf so I believe it voids that warranty.
That would be a hard sell. The emissions stuff is all on the exhaust side of the engine, a particle filter and stuff that is injected into the airstream to knock down NOx. That's not what caused it to blow. Under the law whomever is providing the warranty has to prove a modification made by the owner caused the failure before they can deny warranty. If you are being denied warranty for the reason of exhaust modifications perhaps it is time to lawyer up.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That would be a hard sell. The emissions stuff is all on the exhaust side of the engine, a particle filter and stuff that is injected into the airstream to knock down NOx. That's not what caused it to blow. Under the law whomever is providing the warranty has to prove a modification made by the owner caused the failure before they can deny warranty. If you are being denied warranty for the reason of exhaust modifications perhaps it is time to lawyer up.
I may have to look into that!! I didn’t know that!

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may have to look into that!! I didn’t know that!
Also a dealer sold it to you with the emissions equipment removed? They could be in hot water, even if your state doesn't emissions test. At the federal level if it came with emissions controls from the factory those need to be present when a dealer sells the vehicle to a customer. If you are buying it from an individual it's a different story, but dealers can get in trouble for violating the Clean Air Act... the feds are starting to crack down on it.

I mean I'd hate for someone to report to the EPA a dealer selling cars that don't have the federally mandated emissions equipment.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Also a dealer sold it to you with the emissions equipment removed? They could be in hot water, even if your state doesn't emissions test. At the federal level if it came with emissions controls from the factory those need to be present when a dealer sells the vehicle to a customer. If you are buying it from an individual it's a different story, but dealers can get in trouble for violating the Clean Air Act... the feds are starting to crack down on it.

I mean I'd hate for someone to report to the EPA a dealer selling cars that don't have the federally mandated emissions equipment.
No sir it was an independent sale.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You could be right, but it's not like the previous owner replaced the factory muffler with a cat-back system. They removed a component which made the vehicle legal to use in the EPA's eyes. In other words the vehicle is now not technically legal to drive on public roadways. I can see this as being enough of a reason to deny a warranty. But it could be worth at least seeking legal counsel to see where he stands.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You could be right, but it's not like the previous owner replaced the factory muffler with a cat-back system. They removed a component which made the vehicle legal to use in the EPA's eyes. In other words the vehicle is now not technically legal to drive on public roadways. I can see this as being enough of a reason to deny a warranty. But it could be worth at least seeking legal counsel to see where he stands.
Not illegal on roadways in Iowa but who knows how they’ll see it. With my luck warranty will be void

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 ram 1500 ecodiesel. 120,000 miles. About a month ago I was going around a curve not even touching the throttle and started hearing a pound clanking noise. I got out to check things over and oil was dumping out of the bottom of the engine. Idk if it jumped time or threw a rod or what. I can’t find a hole in the block, over 600 people on a waitlist for an $11000 dollar engine that Chrysler can’t tell us when a release date is for engines because they are “redesigning” the engine. I use this truck for work. At 120,000 miles a diesel engine should not be blown. The most this truck has ever towed is 3000 pounds. Just looking for advise or suggestions on what could’ve happened.
U spun the mains on the crank in the bottom of the motor. 2nd Gens known for that. Factory in Italy put in bad parts when built on the earlier 2nd Gens. One of the reasons I traded up to a Hemi in 2018 and got rid of my ED. TBH, my ED was fine, but I traded with 10K on it, wasn't gonna fuss with mains spinning, cranks giving up the ghost, EGR systems dumping, just what I saw and read.

This all IMHO only.

ADDED: OP: If your emissions is deleted, or altered by say the GDE tune that was real popular, till CARB and EPA went after GDE, U may have a fight on yer hands regardless if U deleted or bought with delete done, as it is in violation of EPA. Good luck on all that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
U spun the mains on the crank in the bottom of the motor. 2nd Gens known for that. Factory in Italy put in bad parts when built on the earlier 2nd Gens. One of the reasons I traded up to a Hemi in 2018 and got rid of my ED. TBH, my ED was fine, but I traded with 10K on it, wasn't gonna fuss with mains spinning, cranks giving up the ghost, EGR systems dumping, just what I saw and read.
I can’t find a hole or crack in the block from crawling underneath. Haven’t had time to look deeper into it. But oil was dumping out the bottom. Truck won’t turn over or anything now.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t find a hole or crack in the block from crawling underneath. Haven’t had time to look deeper into it. But oil was dumping out the bottom. Truck won’t turn over or anything now.
I cannot say on where oil coming from, as I got rid of mine at 10K not wanting to take a chance. I would think rear main blown though. But alas, unfortunately, either U go on the wait list for a engine, or try and find a remanufactured one or a Junk Yard pull, or both. Wish U luck on all that.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how much bearing that would have on a Magnussen Moss claim. Did removal of the emissions equipment, legal or illegal by federal standards, contribute to the engine failing? That could be argued either way, so agreed the OP would probably be better seeking legal advice on the matter.

Like if you cut your cats out and don't tune for them being gone. Increased airflow makes the engine lean out and go boom, yeah that's on you for being stupid and not tuning like you should.

Ultimately another hard lesson for the OP... stay away from modified vehicles unless you are extremely knowledgeable and prepared for trouble. You just never know if the mods were done correctly or not. It's a can of worms the average owner is better odd avoiding.

OP
OP
A

austin_west07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ecodiesel
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know how much bearing that would have on a Magnussen Moss claim. Did removal of the emissions equipment, legal or illegal by federal standards, contribute to the engine failing? That could be argued either way, so agreed the OP would probably be better seeking legal advice on the matter.

Like if you cut your cats out and don't tune for them being gone. Increased airflow makes the engine lean out and go boom, yeah that's on you for being stupid and not tuning like you should.

Ultimately another hard lesson for the OP... stay away from modified vehicles unless you are extremely knowledgeable and prepared for trouble. You just never know if the mods were done correctly or not. It's a can of worms the average owner is better odd avoiding.
Truck was tuned by eco diesel USA in Texas. So I believe all the work done was correctly. I have all paperwork as well. Records of every single oil change and any other maintenance done. Truck was meticulously taken care of. Previous own was injured at his job and had to sell this truck among other things.