ECO mode. 5.7 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captrv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can the ECO Mode be be disabled or turned off permanently on a 2021 1500 ram w/ 5.7 engine.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes sir, but you'll have to do it everytime you start the engine. Just push the "minus" (-) button on the gear selector on the right side of the steering wheel. Then push the "plus" (+) button until your gear shows "8" for the tranny to go through all of the gears. When you first push the minus button your "gear" selection will show just to the right of the odometer.

Update: As my friend @mikeru pointed out, you'll have to do this everytime you shift the tranny into "drive"..

Last edited:

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think the Tow/Haul mode switched on will also disable eco mode.

I think you're right. Just wondering though, does tow/haul change the parameters on the transmission? I haven't tried it on my 1500, but I know it changed most everything on my previous F-150.

KDT1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you're right. Just wondering though, does tow/haul change the parameters on the transmission? I haven't tried it on my 1500, but I know it changed most everything on my previous F-150.
I think it may also stops the transmission from going into the higher gears.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can the ECO Mode be be disabled or turned off permanently on a 2021 1500 ram w/ 5.7 engine.
It can be temporarily disabled using the gear limit switches, as described above by @Wanted33 . Tow/haul mode works too (on 5th gens), but it changes the shift parameters of the transmission, and it will affect fuel economy.

Yes sir, but you'll have to do it everytime you start the engine.
Actually, it's worse than that...you have to disable it every time you shift into D.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It can be temporarily disabled using the gear limit switches, as described above by @Wanted33 . Tow/haul mode works too (on 5th gens), but it changes the shift parameters of the transmission, and it will affect fuel economy.

Actually, it's worse than that...you have to disable it every time you shift into D.

Funny you should mention that Mike. I just found that out Tuesday when I picked my truck up at the XPel installer. :)

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I think it may also stops the transmission from going into the higher gears.

It does not. Tow/Haul only changes the shifting strategy. It'll hold gear longer while accelerating and drop gear when brakes are applied.

Really, they should call it "Sport" mode as it keeps your engine in the upper RPM's where it makes the most power.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my '19 laramie recently started to run in eco mode a lot more than it used to. yesterday at 75 on the interstate the eco light was on for most of a 60 mile run to another town and then also coming back. is this something to be concerned about.

Ondgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
I wouldn’t think so. If your MPG is consistent, that’s a good sign the engine is running good. If MPG drops, something needs attention.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yes, move to Nebraska and the wind will make sure it never comes on. It will also help keep the tranny from shifting into 8th gear, so you get a cool 10 to 12 mpg!! :favorites68:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam