Eco Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So then in the interest of stopping the spread of misinformation, let’s set the record straight. Eco mode IS mds mode. As in one in the same. Turning off the setting in the radio is only deactivating the LIGHT, not the system. Some people find it distracting, which is why they give you the option to disable the notification. But disabling the light has no effect on the system or how it behaves. However, claiming that they are two different things is completely untrue.

You’re spreading more incorrect information. All ECO means is that you’re driving in an “eco” manner. That’s it. MDS may or may not be active. That’s straight from the service manual. You can also view the data on a scan tool to see it, I have seen it.

The light will also come on even if you have MDS disabled. It’s literally just a visual notification of your current driving conditions.

On older vehicles, when you saw the fuel saver light, that was only on during MDS activation.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re spreading more incorrect information. All ECO means is that you’re driving in an “eco” manner. That’s it. MDS may or may not be active. That’s straight from the service manual. You can also view the data on a scan tool to see it, I have seen it.

The light will also come on even if you have MDS disabled. It’s literally just a visual notification of your current driving conditions.

On older vehicles, when you saw the fuel saver light, that was only on during MDS activation.
Some of the older vehicles just used a graduated(mpg) vacuum gauge for a live reading of engine load or instant averaging if you will.You CAN have an ECO light on without the MDS being activated like you stated.Basically coasting or very light engine load(flat ground and a tail wind lol).

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw mentioned and have read a bit on the changes since 2014, but I have a 2014. So do I have more options other than Diablo for a tuner to disable MDS?

2014 Ram 1500 5.7l CrewCab
Sent via Tapatalk
Hptuners. Full blown tuning suite.
You can buy the standard one for I think $300? You don't need tuning expertise to disable things like MDS or set your fan temps, its a simple switch on/off for the MDS, you'll change numbers for the fans. Cool thing about it you can learn at your own pace or you can pay a tuner to tune your vehicle for you.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's also this thing to disable MDS - looks pretty foolproof. I don't know anything about it, just stumbled across it a while back.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/mds_manager/parts/RA004

The funny thing is my truck seems to have whatever magical combination of factors makes MDS completely transparent. Can't feel it, can't hear it. No discernible difference if I switch it off or leave it on. Cost me $0 to get there too, all I had to do was spend no money and do no work and bam! Seamless MDS operation :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram_d00d

Ram_d00d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lucky. Mine has a serious hesitation while the other four cylinders come back to life. Well, it seems like it anyway. I can hear it too. Sounds like a Subaru or something

airmad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There's also this thing to disable MDS - looks pretty foolproof. I don't know anything about it, just stumbled across it a while back.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/mds_manager/parts/RA004

The funny thing is my truck seems to have whatever magical combination of factors makes MDS completely transparent. Can't feel it, can't hear it. No discernible difference if I switch it off or leave it on. Cost me $0 to get there too, all I had to do was spend no money and do no work and bam! Seamless MDS operation :)
Mine is exactly the same. I wish there was a light or some kind of indicator to tell me when it’s on or not. I don’t even know if it’s working. Do all of you guys who can tell have loud exhausts?

Skydog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I have the 5.7 etorque and part of that system is the auto start/stop, so all 8 cylinders shut off at a red light. I honestly can’t hear or feel any difference when it is in MDS. I thought that “eco” meant I was in MDS, so if it’s not, how do I know when I’m in MDS?

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry but Eco mode and MDS are not the same thing and are not directly related.
It is easy to be in ECO and not in MDS, it is also possible to be in MDS but not ECO - though not as easy to accomplish.
ECO = driving in a fuel efficient manner
MDS = 4 cyl deactivation.

This is true and for a fact on my 2016 1500 5.7.
I bought my 2017 1500 night addition new in 17’ I know everyone says it must have MDS, however I have never heard, felt or noticed any difference in engine power ever ! How can this be, how can so many ppl complain about MDS and I’ve never even for a second felt any change in my engine ?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I bought my 2017 1500 night addition new in 17’ I know everyone says it must have MDS, however I have never heard, felt or noticed any difference in engine power ever ! How can this be, how can so many ppl complain about MDS and I’ve never even for a second felt any change in my engine ?
Do you still have the window sticker (or a build sheet)? That'll answer the MDS/no MDS question.

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you still have the window sticker (or a build sheet)? That'll answer the MDS/no MDS question.
Good call, I do ! I thought they only made them with MDS after 2014 but obviously I could never wrong.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked and didn't see what I was looking for, so I'll go ahead and ask. Has anyone found an affordable way to turn off Eco Mode? I'm sick of pushing buttons every time I put my truck in drive so it doesn't sound like a large Subaru. Is there a way without breaking the bank?
use the padd;e shifters to lock eco/mds out, pretty simple really.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It can be subtle, you should notice it when cruising along and you go down a grade and ever so lightly touch the throttle at the bottom of the grade - you should notice an ever so slight flat sound with the exhaust and when it goes back to 8 cyl, you will hear the tone change.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can't speak for 4th gens, but it's a proven fact that ECO=MDS in 5th gens. I've tested it so often in my truck, and it's not hard to test since I get the jerk and exhaust change when it goes in/out.

Like IRSmart said, you can disable the ECO light in Uconnect, but it's just a light. However when you keep the light enabled, the ECO light goes on/off 100% of the time with MDS. Again, this is 5th gen.

airmad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a 2018 Big Horn, 5.7.
Where in uconnect do I find the eco light switch?
Do 2018 trucks even have it?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I can't speak for 4th gens, but it's a proven fact that ECO=MDS in 5th gens. I've tested it so often in my truck, and it's not hard to test since I get the jerk and exhaust change when it goes in/out.

Like IRSmart said, you can disable the ECO light in Uconnect, but it's just a light. However when you keep the light enabled, the ECO light goes on/off 100% of the time with MDS. Again, this is 5th gen.
Would this be the eTorque or classic?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have the 5.7 etorque and part of that system is the auto start/stop, so all 8 cylinders shut off at a red light. I honestly can’t hear or feel any difference when it is in MDS. I thought that “eco” meant I was in MDS, so if it’s not, how do I know when I’m in MDS?

Put an aftermarket exhaust on there. When you go into MDS it will sound like a helicopter coming from your truck. :eek::eek:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Good call, I do ! I thought they only made them with MDS after 2014 but obviously I could never wrong.

I found this info from another site so it is not my own.

"To be 100% sure check the 8th digit of the vin. If it is D then no MDS. If it is 2 then your truck has MDS."

Edit: not sure if this information is accurate for anyone but my truck doesn't fall under either of these suggestions.

Edit again: My 8th digit is a T. I finally found the chart of what it means

Screenshot_20210119-092059_Drive.jpg

So from this FCA pdf from 2016. Now I need to know my sales codes of EZC or EZH.

Unless you work for FCA I don't see how the 8th digit signifies mds or no mds.

Obvious 5.7's without MDS are any 2500's with 5.7's as well as the mega cab 1500 with 5.7's I realize Mega cab 1500 was was ending around 2009?

Last edited: