Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

EcoDiesel EGR recall important!!!!

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by audiomikej, Nov 17, 2019.

1. audiomikej

audiomikej Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar 3.6 V6
    If you have an EcoDiesel and you have the recall notice from last month make sure you get that done ASAP. Drove by this fireball on the interstate yesterday.

IMG_20191115_125410230.jpg

IMG_20191115_125411624.jpg

tidefan1967 likes this.
  2. indept

indept Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    OUCH!

3. DURASPANK

DURASPANK Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Just seen that happen to a ford 150 eco in front of my work place. Front end, cab , and front part of bed melted to nothing. Only knew it was a eco boost from the inter cooler tubes left over. LoL

huntergreen likes this.
  4. duunoit

duunoit Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Recall Status

Incomplete but repair parts are not available
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. FCAEMPLOYEE

FCAEMPLOYEE Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Not good

6. Kevin Waropay

Kevin Waropay Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L Ecodiesel
    Man, last night, I had this weird dream that I had a fire under the hood. Totally not cool.

7. Engineersaab54

Engineersaab54 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    FCA can't do anything to fix this right now. They are (hopefully) manufacturing replacement parts that will probably include a replacement intake (not plastic, hopefully) and possibly new EGR cooler. In the meantime, it is IMPERATIVE that you keep a close eye on your coolant level. Keep it topped off (WITH THE CORRECT COOLANT - IMPORTANT - MIXING TYPES MAKES GOO), and if your level is declining regularly, take it to the dealer to have the EGR cooler cleaned, at least. They may know of something else to do as a stop gap between now and whenever FCA issues the fix - probably in six months, they are saying.

My 2016 w/36,000 on it has been in the shop for 47 days so far. The intake melted on October 11th, but fortunately (or not), the truck did not catch fire. Got a "service electronic throttle control" message, tons of white smoke, and limp mode while on the Interstate at 75 mph. Was able to immediately take an exit and stop, which probably saved me (or not) from the fire. So far, all repairs have been under warranty, (new turbo, new EGR cooler, multiple new sensors, update software, new fuel filter (they always suspect the fuel, knew it was okay but replaced the filter anyway), but the truck still doesn't run right. Drove it 2 miles after they said it was fixed, and the check engine light came back on. Back to the dealer it went.... Had been having to regen the exhaust filter every week for a month before the event happened. Did not know/think at the time to check coolant level regularly.

8. woofie2

woofie2 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 v6
    I would bet FCA goes with a new EGR cooler and software update, I doubt they change the intake unless they have to.

9. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    This has been pending since before the debacle with the EPA. With the new software and upped regen cycles its causing major issues when the EGR finallt let's go. These EGRs are problematic at best and the system is just a crap system. Since they rolled out in 2014 these EGRs have been leaking and frying trucks, it's just becoming more frequent now that the trucks are all accruing miles and running up the intakes with soot and oil.

I am running a GDE hot tune and that's my best fix without wanting to delete. Who knows wtf their fox is gonna be, the updated software was a huge mess, so I'm not excited for this. Once I'm out of warranty I'll likely delete it, unless it catches fire before that. If you're using coolant, pull your EGR diffuser tube, it's extremely easy, and take a look. Once the coolant mixes with the spot build up it turns it into a crazy hard flammable solid, and once the EGR fails it's game over. Best thing you can do at this point is keep an eye on it and let them get the parts and see how the first round of repairs go before jumping on the band wagon. I see all kinds of opinions, catch cans, deletes, tunes etc, but nothing seems concrete enough to warrant my money. The GDE tune has been the best investment so far.

Hate to say it, but a delete seems like the only really viable solution, and including myself, isn't the best option. I have emissions inspection in my state (NJ) and there's no good answer. I'm at the point I just drive it and don't worry. Oh and get a fire extinguisher. That's if you care, otherwise just don't keep important things in the truck, have good GAP insurance and let it make highway smores.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Engineersaab54 likes this.
  10. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    Sounds like I better start checking my coolant levels huh?

hodge-xj likes this.