Economy Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homerjayswim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
I have a 2001 Ram 4x2 with a 318 and I'm averaging about 13 to 14 miles to the gallon. Has anyone had any success with a tuner? I put on an after market intake system, but I was wanting to know if anyone had any more luck trying to get more fuel efficiency.

So far I have put on an after market intake system with a better exhaust system to follow. I have tried running royal purple for 10000 miles and saw no difference in gas mileage. My next step is to replace the engine fan with an electrical fan then a tuner mod if anyone has had any luck.

Just checking to see what everyone else has encountered.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would venture to say 13-14 is probably decent for the 5.2, but I am not as familiar with that engine. You can also try using Sea Foam engine treatment.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
The engine fan would help, maybe not a noticeable difference. Tuner I dont know, most people get one to boast HP & TQ. So better MPG is, in theory due to better performance IF you keep your foot out of it LOL. Sea Foam to clean injecters, and also in oil may help a bit too, again I dont think you'd see a diff on any ONE of these but all together you may get 1 or 2 MPG better but that is really pushin it. You drive a HUGE box with a V8, you want MPG get a 4cyl with a stick, like my 92 Chevy Cav. 28/33 MPG. Just sayin not tryin to sound mean as I was really hopein to get good enough MPG outa my truck to get rid of the Cav, but it is just not poss esp with gas goin up to $5 a gallon by summer. <Thanks Iran *&^)%*>

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah 13-14 is pretty good. I have a superchips 3715 and gain a couple hwy mpgs. But I like it for towing, as my mpgs don't change, they stay at 10. The electric fan should help a little too. I would also recommend the seafoam treatment

All of that should be for 1-2mpgs gains