Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LongTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2011 Ram 2500 5.7L 4x4 Crewcab Longbox with I believe 3:73's a few weeks ago. Truck has an engine code (P0420) for catalyst efficiency below threshold on bank 1. Truck feels a little underpowered for 390 HP and If i am absaloutley driving like a grandma at flat, no wind highway speeds, the computer says i am getting 12.5 MPG. Its way worse If im driving regularly. I understand the thing has the aerodynamics of a house and has got a chunky V8 inside, but I feel like It should be running a little nicer. Maybe its normal and these trucks normaly run like that. Could be wrong.

I did not buy the truck for the fuel efficiency, but man.

Recently replaced 02 sensors on bank 1, still no luck with the engine light. Im thinking the cat is not having a good time. Found a shop to cut the cats and add non-fowlers for a good price but am worried that deleting the cats would have some sort of negative impact. Maybe im wrong?

Is this the way to go? If anyone has any information or tips, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2011 Ram 2500 5.7L 4x4 Crewcab Longbox with I believe 3:73's a few weeks ago. Truck has an engine code (P0420) for catalyst efficiency below threshold on bank 1. Truck feels a little underpowered for 390 HP and If i am absaloutley driving like a grandma at flat, no wind highway speeds, the computer says i am getting 12.5 MPG. Its way worse If im driving regularly. I understand the thing has the aerodynamics of a house and has got a chunky V8 inside, but I feel like It should be running a little nicer. Maybe its normal and these trucks normaly run like that. Could be wrong.

I did not buy the truck for the fuel efficiency, but man.

Recently replaced 02 sensors on bank 1, still no luck with the engine light. Im thinking the cat is not having a good time. Found a shop to cut the cats and add non-fowlers for a good price but am worried that deleting the cats would have some sort of negative impact. Maybe im wrong?

Is this the way to go? If anyone has any information or tips, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Had that code on a few Chevys and a Jeep. I think the other is P0430 for bank 2. Change out the O2 sensors with OEM. If that doesn't clear the code, then new cats are in order. That was my strategy. If you need new cats, Walker made nice replacements that worked well for me and made in USA. Just swap the new O2 sensors to the new cats.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wholesaleconverters.com. Houston.TX. I got my cat’s here over 150k miles ago. 04 5.7. 412k miles now. The factory cat’s IMO don’t last as long as they should. I got 165k out of oem. Bought truck new. 1st replacement set I got were short. Nothing but problems . When’t to these guy’s . The gentlemen that helped me new his buis. Got me the right cat’s. No issues since. I probably had 180k or so. Still running the cat’s he sold me. That was 8-10yrs ago. They only sell em. Not a installation shop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357