EGR Issue = Possible Poor Performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dominion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check engine light came on about a month ago and I had a local shop check out the codes where he cleared them to see if they would come back. Well they did, and the codes read an EGR issue. The truck is also hesitant to get going after getting on the gas to start from stop, pauses for a moment before it gets going. I've also had it die twice in a parking lot on separate occasions, it starts right back up but I'm curious if this could be related to the EGR valve or not. Both times, it died shortly after applying gas to move the truck. All electrical was still available after this as well.

Before this check engine light started coming on, the truck had all the power I would expect and knew the truck had in a Hemi 5.7, now it's like driving a 7000lb 4 banger... I had asked around as I'm not mechanically intelligent where an individual mentioned that if the EGR valve is having issues that it could actually throttle back the engine, thus losing performance. Just curious if this one little valve could be causing this significant performance drop.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
What specific codes did you have? And the EGR valve is very easy to change out. And the part only costs like $30. I would swap it out and see if that fixes anything. It's just 4 bolts and you don't need to be mechanically inclined to do it.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've read yeah it will affect performance. They're cheap from rockauto. Really easy to replace also. Only have to be careful removing the bolts to not break them.

OP
OP
Dominion

Dominion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure on the specific codes to be honest, didn't event think to ask. I did check a few videos on replacing the valve, doesn't look complicated at all, you are correct.

So I would assume that the EGR valve could be the culprit to my lack-luster performance then. I'll try that and see what happens after-words.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you are changing the valve out change the EGR tube as well as that gets sooted up really bad inside. A bad EGR will definitely affect performance and if what you really care about you can delete the EGR but you'd need a custom tune to remove the EGR code that pops up.

OP
OP
Dominion

Dominion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the suggestions and insight guys, I'll get that EGR replaced ASAP along with the tube as well. Truck's got about 116k on it, probably a good idea anyhow.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The EGR affects emissions for the most part. If you are having trouble from the get-go I would look at fuel management issues. I can see the EGR giving you issues once you're going as its recycling combustion gasses, but from a stand still that doesn't seem typical to me. Keep us updated!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
A carboned up TB is one of the most common issues for throttle hesitation from a dig for the hemi because the EGR and PCV are plumbed in behind the TB on the intake manifold. The exhaust gasses bring a lot of soot/carbon in with it which gets deposited in the intake track and held there by the oil vapor of the PCV which is why the TB needs to be cleaned regularly. By eliminating both of these you will never need to clean the TB again. If you've ever cleaned out the EGR tube you'll see how bad it can get, the same with the back of the TB. My '07 was in very bad shape when I bought it in '08 and I cleaned everything up. 35,000kms later it was carboned up again. Decided to do the EGR delete and plumbed a catch can into the system off the valve cover; another 30,000kms later the intake was perfectly clean.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Don't know how much a replacement EGR tube is but wouldn't it be easier to just clean it out? The tube is metal and unless it's damaged, I don't see a reason to replace it. EGR delete would be nice but for some of us, it's not an option due to annoying smog laws.

I'd also suggest checking your PCV valve while you are in there. It's right on top of the manifold, next to the TB on the passenger side. Pull it out and see if it still rattles when you shake it, if not replace it with a new one. I replace my EGR and PCV valves every 50,000 to 60,000 miles or so to make sure I don't have issues.

Probably wouldn't hurt to clean the TB too.

OP
OP
Dominion

Dominion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the EGR valve was crap. It basically had no idea what level it was at. All is back to normal now!

judespapa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This sounds like the same issue im having with my 03 5.7. It has 171000 miles. had 02 sensor codes and replaced both. Cleaned maf. shop recently replaced map sensor. The "lopey" idle has been going on for awhile. The hesitation and then surge when taking off from a stop is getting worse.