Electrical issues after installing plow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHMinnesota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
We installed a plow on our 2015 Ram 1500 last spring and only used it a few times and now are using it again this winter. It is a 7' 6" Western half-ton model plow and was installed at a reputable local shop that is a Western dealer. Right after installation we found out that the headlights would go completely off when switched from brights to low beam when the plow is on. They operate normally when the plow isn't on.
This fall/winter we have found that the radio will intermittently stop working while using the plow as well as the heated seats/heated steering wheel. I plan on bringing it in to the installer to see if they can find the issue.
Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Thanks in advance for the help. (1st time posting here- truck has been great otherwise!)
Joe

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think taking it back to the installer would be the best, but I have read that the 2015's had strange electrical issues when it came to after market lighting of any kind. If you get it corrected, please let us know.

OP
OP
J

JHMinnesota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it seems like the Chrysler products have had electrical quirks for a long time. I have an appointment to bring it in on the 10th, I'll update with what they find out.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have read that the 2015's had strange electrical issues when it came to after market lighting of any kind.
^^^ this
There are thing that are no problem on a '14 or '16 that will cause grief for some '15 owners. One aftermarket headlight even states that it's not recommended for '15 model year trucks.

OP
OP
J

JHMinnesota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update- a new battery solved the radio and seat heaters but not the headlight issues. The shop I brought it kept it for a few days checking a few things and narrowed it down to the body control module. They updated the BCM and that seemed to take care of the headlight issues.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad they got it fixed, and thanks for letting us know what the issue was.