Electrical problem - tail lights + AC blower + ignition problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abornox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hoping someone has come across this.
Was driving my 2004 Ram on Saturday and noticed that the AC Blower stopped working on the first two lowest settings, but it worked on the last two highest settings. Then at the same time, the "Lamp Out" indicator in the dash came on. I got home and let the truck sit for about an hour and when I went out to start it again, I had no electrical power at all. No lights, no horn, nothing. It was completely dead. Tested the battery and it was fine. First thing I thought was the ignition switch in the steering column went bad. I replaced that, but still no power. I ordered a new blower motor resistor, figuring to replace that next. Then I was playing around with the blower knob and I noticed if I turned the ignition key while I turned the AC blower knob, I could get the power to come back on and I could start the truck. The tail lamps that are out are drivers side middle and passenger side top. I have not tested the bulbs to see if they are okay yet.
What could this be. I have not received the new blower resistor yet, but could this be something else. Could it be a relay or fuse problem. Are the tail lights going out related to the AC blower and ignition problem. Has anyone here ever had all 3 of these problems at the same time.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hoping someone has come across this.
Was driving my 2004 Ram on Saturday and noticed that the AC Blower stopped working on the first two lowest settings, but it worked on the last two highest settings. Then at the same time, the "Lamp Out" indicator in the dash came on. I got home and let the truck sit for about an hour and when I went out to start it again, I had no electrical power at all. No lights, no horn, nothing. It was completely dead. Tested the battery and it was fine. First thing I thought was the ignition switch in the steering column went bad. I replaced that, but still no power. I ordered a new blower motor resistor, figuring to replace that next. Then I was playing around with the blower knob and I noticed if I turned the ignition key while I turned the AC blower knob, I could get the power to come back on and I could start the truck. The tail lamps that are out are drivers side middle and passenger side top. I have not tested the bulbs to see if they are okay yet.
What could this be. I have not received the new blower resistor yet, but could this be something else. Could it be a relay or fuse problem. Are the tail lights going out related to the AC blower and ignition problem. Has anyone here ever had all 3 of these problems at the same time.
Honestly, I think you're the first. I also think you have more than one problem. Do you have a test light or a multi-meter? You could have ohm'd out the ignition switch to eliminate it or condemn it. Troubleshooting is cheaper than shotgunning parts until it's fixed. Lights and blower are not related. Check the bulbs. I'm not familiar with your year truck, but I had a vehicle that had 2 different fuses for hi & lo speeds. Check both if so.

Loose wire or connection likely if you turn fan knob and get power back.

Any cheap $13. meter from HomoDepo will save you lots of time. Electrical problems suck. Keep us posted what you find.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all my reading many suggest the TIPM module when many electrical issues show up.