Electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad Biggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 2weeks ago I replaced my head gasket. After I put everything back together I started it and the check gauges light is on now. It also seems like it isn't charging the battery and the temp gauge on the dash doesn't move. I put my engine code reader on it and pulled the code p2181. Could my pvm be going out? It is a 2008 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
About 2weeks ago I replaced my head gasket. After I put everything back together I started it and the check gauges light is on now. It also seems like it isn't charging the battery and the temp gauge on the dash doesn't move. I put my engine code reader on it and pulled the code p2181. Could my pvm be going out? It is a 2008 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi.
The "Check Gauges" lamp will illuminate for a few different things. If the volt meter is pegged high or low, the coolant temp gauge is in the hot zone or the oil pressure gauge has dropped to zero.

Now, you said that it didn't seem to be charging the battery, right? Is the large wire connected to the alternator and securely fastened?

Is the electrical connector properly connected at the alternator?

Did you replace the thermostat while you were replacing a head gasket?

KCasey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318)
Hoping to get some help as well. So if you didn’t know Dodge Durango’s have historically been built the exact same as a Ram 1500 with an SUV body thrown on. My girls 04 Durango keeps having the same issue and I’m trying to get to the root cause. Problem: her resistor keeps shorting out/melting. It’s been replaced four times now and today will be the fifth. I have zero idea of where to start tracking down the root cause beyond the fact that Chrysler is world renowned for sucking when it comes to the electronics of their vehicles.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I received this notice in my inbox this morning:
Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.

Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.

The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.

To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 19V812
Manufacturer : Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Subject : Electric Power Steering Gear Can Short Circuit
Make Model Model Years
RAM 1500 2019
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.

What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.

Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.

I'm going to wait for the official FCA Notice in the mail. My guess is that the Dealers are not equipped to handle this. I bet no parts are available yet in quantities?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brad Biggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "Check Gauges" lamp will illuminate for a few different things. If the volt meter is pegged high or low, the coolant temp gauge is in the hot zone or the oil pressure gauge has dropped to zero.

Now, you

Now, you said that it didn't seem to be charging the battery, right? Is the large wire connected to the alternator and securely fastened?

Is the electrical connector properly connected at the alternator?

Did you replace the thermostat while you were replacing a head gasket?

I did replace the thermostat. Checked the wires for the alternator, the main wire was secured, the plug was out a little. I plugged it in all the way. Still drains the battery. I'm pulling the alternator tomorrow and having it tested.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I did replace the thermostat. Checked the wires for the alternator, the main wire was secured, the plug was out a little. I plugged it in all the way. Still drains the battery. I'm pulling the alternator tomorrow and having it tested.
Since you are having the alternator load tested tomorrow, have the battery load tested as well just to make sure. Even if the battery is really new it won't hurt to know exactly what it is capable of.