Electronic issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Before throwing money at it, do the load test on the battery and clean the contact points, double check ever fuse and relay is properly seated (inspect each contact before reseating to ensure there is no rust or gunk there) and clean and reattach the main grounding points. Also be sure to inspect all the contact points around the fuse box.

Have you installed any aftermarket lighting, used a tuner, or added/upgraded any electrical components? The multitude of errors is pointing somewhere that has a relationship to everything going wrong. A bad battery, a loose ground, or similar could be the culprit but you need to systematically eliminate them all as possibilities.

Also, are you the original owner? If not, how long have you owned the truck and how soon after you purchased did the problems start. I ask because a used truck could be a flood vehicle, which could create the myriad of problems you are having now.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also, are you the original owner? If not, how long have you owned the truck and how soon after you purchased did the problems start. I ask because a used truck could be a flood vehicle, which could create the myriad of problems you are having now.
This is a great idea also. Especially if it had salt water damage.

OP, Has there also been any changes to the system with Alfa Obd?

CMax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have a 2016 ram sport 8 speed. Dealing with electrical issues. Dash lit up, all indicator lights flashed then went away. Soon after fuel pump sensor error message came on, tank went to empty then returned to normal, this happens often. Puddle light blinkers blink fast and the back rear tail light (led) works fully sometimes and other it doesn’t, it gets dim or tracks like “kit” from night rider when you hit the brake. The blinker warning message comes on telling me blinkers are out, all 4 work. Unplugging the negative cable from battery resets everything temporarily. No performance issues are being experienced. Dealership doesn’t know what’s going on.... anybody heard of this? Thanks in advance.
I believe you are having problems with the TIPM. It is the all fuse box that Chrysler genius make about 2006 and on. There is plenty information online
Total Integrated Power Model
Good luck with that friend

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A problem like this is how people learn how to fire the parts cannon.

Maybe the TIPM could be the cause of your issues, but because "its a recognized problem" on older Rams, doesn't mean it's the first culprit here. The symptoms seem to be spread across a number of electrical circuits, and old school troubleshooting would first suspect a ground problem, which it could be.

The P018C (low fuel rail pressure) can be driven by the P0463, which is Fuel Sending Unit Sensor Circuit High all the time. That is usually cause by a defective fuel tank sensor or bad circuit, which would explain the intermittent fuel gauge issue.

However, there are other symptoms that can relate to a loss of CAN Bus (steering wheel button functions, taillight, directional signal lamps, etc.). The hyper flash at the mirrors means something specific, but I'm momentarily at a loss to remember. (I try looking for it.) Of course a loss of ground somewhere could cause this, too. And, of course, you could be having more than one circuit problem at the same time.

If I had to just guess, I'd be more suspicious of the Body Control Module (BCM), but this, too, is no more valid as any other guess.

I guess this has become heresy, but module scan on a scanner (not code reader) would likely benefit in expediting a repair.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87840 miles.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 ram sport 8 speed. Dealing with electrical issues. Dash lit up, all indicator lights flashed then went away. Soon after fuel pump sensor error message came on, tank went to empty then returned to normal, this happens often. Puddle light blinkers blink fast and the back rear tail light (led) works fully sometimes and other it doesn’t, it gets dim or tracks like “kit” from night rider when you hit the brake. The blinker warning message comes on telling me blinkers are out, all 4 work. Unplugging the negative cable from battery resets everything temporarily. No performance issues are being experienced. Dealership doesn’t know what’s going on.... anybody heard of this? Thanks in advance.
Have you installed any non-factory or aux lighting?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87840 miles.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still have yet to see a battery load test confirmation.

A flakey battery has been known to cause all these types of issues.

One step at a time before he changes out the entire engine and/or the peripheral accessories. :)

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still have yet to see a battery load test confirmation.

A flakey battery has been known to cause all these types of issues.

One step at a time before he changes out the entire engine and/or the peripheral accessories. :)

I had to look back through the posts, but I don't see where...despite all the indicators and messages... that the vehicle engine stopped.

So I would second your suggestion and perform a battery load test before doing anything else.

Regards,
Dusty

OP
OP
W

Wheelez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before throwing money at it, do the load test on the battery and clean the contact points, double check ever fuse and relay is properly seated (inspect each contact before reseating to ensure there is no rust or gunk there) and clean and reattach the main grounding points. Also be sure to inspect all the contact points around the fuse box.

Have you installed any aftermarket lighting, used a tuner, or added/upgraded any electrical components? The multitude of errors is pointing somewhere that has a relationship to everything going wrong. A bad battery, a loose ground, or similar could be the culprit but you need to systematically eliminate them all as possibilities.

OP
OP
W

Wheelez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks for info, I’ll look into it. I’m the original owner purchased with 16 miles on it and kept clean her entire life 158,135 current mileage. First major issue.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Multiple sporadic electrical issues that happen during the same period on unrelated systems often leads to a main power or ground issue someplace. Find a wiring diagram and start tracing back from the individual components and find where they finally share a power or ground source. As already suggested I would look hard around the TIPM and make sure everything it tight, fuses seated, and maybe look underneath it for signs of green corrosion. Also track down all the ground cables and make sure they are tight and clean...even if they feel and look good not a bad idea to pull them off, clean, and reinstall.
If main powers/grounds/TIPM all check out you can start looking at individual circuits and sensors. There is a chance that one bad sensor could be pulling down the CAN signal and cause the other issues. Again, you really need a wiring diagram so you can see how the individual components with issues are related or connected to each other.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As previously mentioned, I'd start with the battery. New batteries are sometimes just new to you or lemons off the shelf.

You could also check to make sure the TIPM connections are fully seated and locked in place.

OP
OP
W

Wheelez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe you are having problems with the TIPM. It is the all fuse box that Chrysler genius make about 2006 and on. There is plenty information online
Total Integrated Power Model
Good luck with that friend
Appreciate the response. Looking into the possibility of this.

OP
OP
W

Wheelez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A problem like this is how people learn how to fire the parts cannon.

Maybe the TIPM could be the cause of your issues, but because "its a recognized problem" on older Rams, doesn't mean it's the first culprit here. The symptoms seem to be spread across a number of electrical circuits, and old school troubleshooting would first suspect a ground problem, which it could be.

The P018C (low fuel rail pressure) can be driven by the P0463, which is Fuel Sending Unit Sensor Circuit High all the time. That is usually cause by a defective fuel tank sensor or bad circuit, which would explain the intermittent fuel gauge issue.

However, there are other symptoms that can relate to a loss of CAN Bus (steering wheel button functions, taillight, directional signal lamps, etc.). The hyper flash at the mirrors means something specific, but I'm momentarily at a loss to remember. (I try looking for it.) Of course a loss of ground somewhere could cause this, too. And, of course, you could be having more than one circuit problem at the same time.

If I had to just guess, I'd be more suspicious of the Body Control Module (BCM), but this, too, is no more valid as any other guess.

I guess this has become heresy, but module scan on a scanner (not code reader) would likely benefit in expediting a repair.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Dusty
Thanks for the response. My guess is the BCM as well as there are no performance issues just electrical. Hell the fule pressure sensor failure happened 4 times today . Appreciate the info.