Service Electronic Brake Control etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
1st post on this forum.

My 2012 Ram 2500 5.7 liter hemi 4x4 began having issue with the integrated brake controller having a CF! flashing on the unit and now and again message to service electric brake control coming on. I then noticed electronic stability control indicator light on and that the cruise control will not operate. Check engine light is on. Electronic Throttle Control light comes on also.

I unplugged the trailer plug at the bumper and cleaned it up with electric cleaner and dielectric grease and replugged. The error went away for only a few miles but came back. I then cleaned rear wheel speed sensor connections with no change. Checked all fuses no issues. I tried hooking up my trailer to see what effect but no effect so assuming the brake control not working. I didn't pull the 5th wheel camper as it winterized.

I have not had it scanned for error code as when I went to the O'Reillys here in town they said their code reader had a short in it! I suggested they order one from O'Reilly's or get one off the shelf but guess that wasn't possible!

Anyone know of solution before I start buying parts or take to dealer? I have read what may be issue such as brake pedal switch, cam sensor, speed sensors, short. Just seeing if anyone solved issue quickly.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Find somewhere with a proper code reader to retrieve the codes. Until you know exactly what fault is present, you’re just guessing.

OP
OP
dgjackson40

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just went to O'Reilly again and they had taken my suggestion and had a new code reader. Codes were C1000 indicating brake pedal switch which I ordered and will be here at 4pm CST today. Other code was U0401 indicating ECM/PCM error which I hope is because of switch.

After reading codes I came home and found that the brake light bulb in the bed light was completely blown, bulb busted and that my brake lights are on continuously. Hoping the switch will fix all this and will know in a couple hours. Wish I had checked brake lights earlier and wondering why no one honked at me for riding my brakes while driving around the last couple weeks!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just went to O'Reilly again and they had taken my suggestion and had a new code reader. Codes were C1000 indicating brake pedal switch which I ordered and will be here at 4pm CST today. Other code was U0401 indicating ECM/PCM error which I hope is because of switch.

After reading codes I came home and found that the brake light bulb in the bed light was completely blown, bulb busted and that my brake lights are on continuously. Hoping the switch will fix all this and will know in a couple hours. Wish I had checked brake lights earlier and wondering why no one honked at me for riding my brakes while driving around the last couple weeks!

Please be sure to keep us updated, @dgjackson40! If you have to work with your dealer, we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Hope you get it back to 100 percent. By the way good write up

OP
OP
dgjackson40

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok I replaced the brake pedal switch and it did not alleviate the problem. No change with errors and went back and had code read again with same results. I am going to start working in the morning on checking all bulbs. I did notice that the passenger side tow mirror led light is not working. I will remove it tomorrow and test perhaps there is a gremlin in there. The fact the brake lights are always on troubles me and hopefully I can isolate that issue and it will have some input to the errors. After tomorrow if no progress I guess its time to take to dealer.

Not sure why she is treating me this way I have only been good to her since purchasing used in 2015!

OP
OP
dgjackson40

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok so took truck to dealer to try to fix. Spent 4 hours and first thing they find is the code for the brake switch. They removed the new one I just installed and said it tested bad so $25 for new switch. This was within first hour. So they install and still having all issues. They troubleshoot for 3 more hours and say now they isolated it to a bad Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM I.e. fuse box)! They have to order this $1100 part and will charge me to install when it comes in. I told them I will call to let them know about whether to order. My issue is what recourse do I have if an $1100 part doesn’t fix it!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so took truck to dealer to try to fix. Spent 4 hours and first thing they find is the code for the brake switch. They removed the new one I just installed and said it tested bad so $25 for new switch. This was within first hour. So they install and still having all issues. They troubleshoot for 3 more hours and say now they isolated it to a bad Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM I.e. fuse box)! They have to order this $1100 part and will charge me to install when it comes in. I told them I will call to let them know about whether to order. My issue is what recourse do I have if an $1100 part doesn’t fix it!
I had a similar issue and it ended up being my brake pedal switch was not adjusted correctly. I had installed memory adjustable pedals and didn't notice that the adjustment tab had been bent in shipping. The brake lights were staying on about half the time so the truck was throwing codes intermittently because it wasn't seeing any brake pressure when it thought I was pushing the brakes. The dash lit up like a Christmas Tree just like yours. I was at Autozone buying a better reader to try to get the ABS codes when I happened to look outside and see that my brake lights were on. They hadn't been on the other times I had checked because it was barely out of adjustment so I got lucky. I bent the tab back and adjusted it and it's been fine since then. I know both you and the dealer have replaced your switch and there shouldn't be any reason it's not adjusted but I wanted to mention that my truck acted pretty much exactly like yours so the brake pedal switch can definitely cause it to do what it is. I personally don't have much faith in dealers when it comes to these trucks. We have a few pretty smart techs on this forum but for the most part most of them aren't very good mechanics and in many cases know less than many of us on the forum. I would get a second opinion if possible and if you do decide to have them replace it ask them if they will guarantee in writing that it will correct your issue. $1100 is a lot to pay for.....we think this is what's wrong. Also just for fun make sure the switch is adjusted correctly. I adjusted mine to where the brake light comes on if I press the pedal about 1/8" or so. Clear the codes and have someone follow you and see if your brake lights ever flicker or come on while you are driving when you aren't actually touching the brakes. Good luck keep us posted on how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dgjackson40

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a similar issue and it ended up being my brake pedal switch was not adjusted correctly. I had installed memory adjustable pedals and didn't notice that the adjustment tab had been bent in shipping. The brake lights were staying on about half the time so the truck was throwing codes intermittently because it wasn't seeing any brake pressure when it thought I was pushing the brakes. The dash lit up like a Christmas Tree just like yours. I was at Autozone buying a better reader to try to get the ABS codes when I happened to look outside and see that my brake lights were on. They hadn't been on the other times I had checked because it was barely out of adjustment so I got lucky. I bent the tab back and adjusted it and it's been fine since then. I know both you and the dealer have replaced your switch and there shouldn't be any reason it's not adjusted but I wanted to mention that my truck acted pretty much exactly like yours so the brake pedal switch can definitely cause it to do what it is. I personally don't have much faith in dealers when it comes to these trucks. We have a few pretty smart techs on this forum but for the most part most of them aren't very good mechanics and in many cases know less than many of us on the forum. I would get a second opinion if possible and if you do decide to have them replace it ask them if they will guarantee in writing that it will correct your issue. $1100 is a lot to pay for.....we think this is what's wrong. Also just for fun make sure the switch is adjusted correctly. I adjusted mine to where the brake light comes on if I press the pedal about 1/8" or so. Clear the codes and have someone follow you and see if your brake lights ever flicker or come on while you are driving when you aren't actually touching the brakes. Good luck keep us posted on how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tried adjusting the bracket no change darn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dgjackson40

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
FCA32D88-8418-4F2C-A77E-D20B124DFC3C.jpeg 39A3B344-8D72-48EF-96FE-4DF40D34B82B.jpeg

Well I finally fixed the issue with 5 cents worth of splices! Seems a critter decided to chew through two wires of a plug that consequently connected to the right front wheel speed sensor. Not sure why after $200 at dealer their testing equipment decided it was a TIPM at $1200 and a brake switch at $25 which I had already replaced.

Wonderful folks at TIPM rebuilders stuck with me by sending 3 units each of which naturally didn’t fix issue.

After reading a few hours on internet I decided to check wheel sensors and in process followed wires to all connections and found the chewed wires under hood near firewall. I still have parts to return but an expensive lesson learned!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, Glad you got it fixed, see you're better than the dealer, do you have a address of the TIPM rebuilders for future reference.
Thanks Much