Electronic Range Select (ERS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel HD with a Six-Speed Automatic Transmission.
My question is after selecting the gear I want to shift into it tells me to press the plus(+) until the display disappears.
When pressing the plus (+) the display goes up one additional gear.
Is this correct?
How do I know which gear it is shifting to?

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You may well get allot more help by going to the 4th. generation section or to the Cummins diesel section. This section is for third gen Rams.

Mike

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does not tell you the gear. The number is just the maximum gear the computer will allow the trans to shift up to. It’s the same across all the trucks. My 2017 1500 has the gear select but it only shows me what I select to be the max gear allowed. One of these days I may take Alfaobd or a live scanner and see if it will allow me to view the current gear. I know the new gen trucks have a current gear display option.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel HD with a Six-Speed Automatic Transmission.
My question is after selecting the gear I want to shift into it tells me to press the plus(+) until the display disappears.
When pressing the plus (+) the display goes up one additional gear.
Is this correct?
How do I know which gear it is shifting to?
With the HDs, the display will show you which gear you are in as well as the max gear you have selected. If you push and hold the + button the transmission will go back to showing a D and back to full auto. Some of the HDs you can select to see current gear to display while in full auto mode.

Double click to expand picture.

1685719939637.png