Engine ate the cam!! Need opinions on what to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 Ram 2500 CC 5.7

A lifter seized and ate the cam... The engine has around 8,000 hours on it, it used to be a border patrol truck. It's only got 100k miles. I'm guessing they just left the truck running their entire shift and didn't drive around much. (low oil pressure coupled with sh*tty lifters!)

I got a line on a low mileage 6.4L to swap in for $4500, no core. Figure $600 for tuning.
I got all the parts on summit racing to fix the 5.7 for $600.

It's a big price difference. I could sell the old engine for maybe $1,000, bringing the total price difference down to $3,500.

What one would you do?!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would spend that money on building the 5.7 HEMI. You already have a great flowing cylinder head right out of the box. With porting they can really flow some good numbers. A quality set of forged pistons and rods us a camshaft and some tuning will make some good power. If you are frugal with your dollar bills like me you can build a healthy 5.7 that is reliable on the street and at the strip.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ditto

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not to be offensive but I don't think anyone would buy a damaged engine for $1k. I would rebuild what's broken if the bores look good. Hopefully you don't have to fool with the short block.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A co-worker of mine recently put a Jasper engine in a Denali SUV. I think it was a 6.2, but I could be wrong about exactly what size it was. I know it was a 6 something.

Anyway, he said after it was all said and done, it cost about $6000. But he said it needed new motor mounts and "some other stuff". I didn't think that sounded too bad. It's obviously too soon to tell about durability. But he said it drives nice.

IndyDon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not want the headaches that come with the swapping of different engine set ups. You really are not gaining much between a stock 5.7 and stock 6.4. Get yourself a sheet of paper and pen. write down what you want. None of us in these forums know what you want. The most reasonable is cam and lifter replacement. Any performance upgrade will require a tune. When looking at cams, you will have to take in consideration. Higher the grind number the less daily driver friendly it is and where your power curve is at in the rpm range. If you want the MDS gone, start looking at what everyone has to offer. If you go with anything other than stock grind. You will need to upgrade the exhaust, if you have not done so. Which if you opt to go the 6.4 route. You will definitely need to upgrade your exhaust.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
A co-worker of mine recently put a Jasper engine in a Denali SUV. I think it was a 6.2, but I could be wrong about exactly what size it was. I know it was a 6 something.

Anyway, he said after it was all said and done, it cost about $6000. But he said it needed new motor mounts and "some other stuff". I didn't think that sounded too bad. It's obviously too soon to tell about durability. But he said it drives nice.
power train is the best can add 7 year warrinty on it and get mds deleated on it was told 5,000 on it 600 core return get it back

Chris Culver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
power train is the best can add 7 year warrinty on it and get mds deleated on it was told 5,000 on it 600 core return get it back

Do they ship it already deleted? Or does your installer do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
rebuild what you have and bullet proof it with upgraded parts.