Engine chatter upon startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoobapadi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2013 RAM has a loud engine tapping upon startup. It last a couple minutes then goes away. It has 45k miles, always serviced per manual by dealer.
Does this seem serious?
I have extended Mopar that might cover it if the dealer agrees the problem must be fixed.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is likely that one or more hydraulic lifters are leaking down overnight. This gives the taping sound until the oil pressure refills them.
I don't think it is serious....but others may have additional advise as to future problems it may cause.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it only on cold starts? Does it happen every time?

If it's every cold start, it could be a broken exhaust manifold bolt. That is more of a tick and it has more of a "puff" sound to it. It will also gradually get quieter as the manifold expands and seals up the exhaust leak.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
As Hemi said[emoji3595]

Only cold starts?

Every time?

Gradually gets quite over a few minutes or the actual transition from the “clatter” noise to quite is very quick, like 1-5 seconds?

Does it do it if you start the truck for a very short period of time ( few seconds to a minute or so) turn it off and then started again?

Has your gas milage dropped any significant amount?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

ryan russell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is likely that one or more hydraulic lifters are leaking down overnight. This gives the taping sound until the oil pressure refills them.
I don't think it is serious....but others may have additional advise as to future problems it may cause.

I am pretty sure you hit it on the head!!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
We are 99% sure that is EXACTLY what it is

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Redline fixed mine as well as some others on this forum

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
oil starvation at start up isnt a serious problem? I one thing is for sure. If my truck were ticking (and it was before redline), i would be very concerned (and i was). 2 potentials...manifold bolts or the engine...aka cam/lifters.

XD_Dan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As Hemi said[emoji3595]

Gradually gets quite over a few minutes or the actual transition from the “clatter” noise to quite is very quick, like 1-5 seconds?

Does it do it if you start the truck for a very short period of time ( few seconds to a minute or so) turn it off and then started again?

Mine does this.
It will clatter for a couple of seconds if I run it for a short period and the restart sometime after.

What causes that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does this.
It will clatter for a couple of seconds if I run it for a short period and the restart sometime after.

What causes that?

We're not sure, but its quite common (mine does it too).

If it were an oil draindown thing, you would figure it would do it at EVERY startup, regardless of circumstances. But in this case its a very specific set of things that need to occur. it pains me every time I hear it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine does this.

What causes that?

It HAS to be loss of oil/leak-down in the lifter/pushrod. We just don’t know why.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
used to have this issue with a lot of vtwin motorbikes and drain down of hydraulic lifters. many guys switched to running shell or mobil diesel oil and it fixed it up. not suggesting to run diesel oil in your hemi but...gotta wonder. speculation was oils that were too thin, generally. otherwise, some swore by dino oil with frequent oil changes, others by semi synth, others full, others a blend so noting conclusive there.

on the other hand, why would it hurt to run diesel oil in a hemi?:)

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
used to have this issue with a lot of vtwin motorbikes and drain down of hydraulic lifters. many guys switched to running shell or mobil diesel oil and it fixed it up. not suggesting to run diesel oil in your hemi but...gotta wonder. speculation was oils that were too thin, generally. otherwise, some swore by dino oil with frequent oil changes, others by semi synth, others full, others a blend so noting conclusive there.

on the other hand, why would it hurt to run diesel oil in a hemi?:)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only guess I can make is that the lifters were drained down, when the engine is started they partially fill but if you turn the engine off before they are completely filled, you get a much worse lifter noise at the next startup.

Driving the truck a bit presumably gets any air completely out of every lifter so the next startup is as silent as possible (still some lifter noise depending on how long the truck has sat but nothing "cringy")

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ma Lib De Num, spelt molybdenum. This is what oil formulations use to guard against dry starts until the oil gets there. Most oils have it, Redline has the most of it of the stuff you see in the US with exception of a few specialty oils. Plus, there are a couple other things in Redline like esters that hunt metal and stick to hot metal better then group 3 oils, plus have branched chain lubricty with pao, and high zinc, there is a specific reason why redline is killing these ticks. If you want to try other oils first including deisel oils, you have nothing to loose, sound plan look at moly level. Rotella gas and truck is high moly, qsud high moly, amsoil ss. But, if those oils dont work, keep in mnd how many people redline has helped on this forum. It is the forumla built with the most anti wear and extreme pressure additives then any other known oil around here.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ma Lib De Num, spelt molybdenum. This is what oil formulations use to guard against dry starts until the oil gets there. Most oils have it, Redline has the most of it of the stuff you see in the US with exception of a few specialty oils. Plus, there are a couple other things in Redline like esters that hunt metal and stick to hot metal better then group 3 oils, plus have branched chain lubricty with pao, and high zinc, there is a specific reason why redline is killing these ticks. If you want to try other oils first including deisel oils, you have nothing to loose, sound plan look at moly level. Rotella gas and truck is high moly, qsud high moly, amsoil ss. But, if those oils dont work, keep in mnd how many people redline has helped on this forum. It is the forumla built with the most anti wear and extreme pressure additives then any other known oil around here.

I am using Redline. This noise happened on factory fill, PYB, PUP and RedLine.

i thought at one point someone mentioned something to do with the "cam sweep" at startup, but not quite sure what that meant.

Even on RedLine I still get a piston slap noise until the engine has warmed up, especially if it hasnt run in a while (like the last week Ive been detailing it and it just sits in my garage)

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I run diesel oil in my turbocharged motors, noting wrong with it. They used to have high zinc and moly concentrations but they cut back a few years back due to EPA or new regulations. They also have a stronger additive package and cleaners for Diesel engines. I personally like the Rotella 15w40 for my 5.3 turbo motors. Trying to find one in in the 0-5w30-40 range is a problem as I never see the low weight in stores.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

i thought at one point someone mentioned something to do with the "cam sweep" at startup, but not quite sure what that meant.

Even on RedLine I still get a piston slap noise until the engine has warmed up, especially if it hasnt run in a while (like the last week Ive been detailing it and it just sits in my garage)

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get this noise too on my 2014 5.7 with 62k on it. Only on cold starts in the morning and after it’s sat for awhile like after work it clacks pretty good.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew

how long have you been running redline? is it 5w30 or 20?