Engine ICON came on in Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was down a quart of oil, put that in and still on. I did not go anywhere after tho to see if it would reset itself. Not sure what the engine icon is for. Please help me. I did look and no messages.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was down a quart of oil, put that in and still on. I did not go anywhere after tho to see if it would reset itself. Not sure what the engine icon is for. Please help me. I did look and no messages.

Probably the check engine light, need to check the codes see what it is. Autozone does this for free, scanners can be pretty cheap these days.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get a scan done at an auto parts store, then post up the information they provide on the code(s).

Then we can take it from there.

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, some good news. Drove to work this morning (Approx. 26 miles) light was still on. Came out of work tonite, started it up and "NO LIGHT", so either it was because I added the quart of oil or it was the typical Gas Cap code. Just for pc of mind, going to replace the gas cap this weekend.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Probably the check engine light, need to check the codes see what it is. Autozone does this for free, scanners can be pretty cheap these days.

Yup! I believe O'Reillys does this for free as well. Advance Auto quit doing it, at least in my area, due to liability issues (they claim).

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A free check is free, especially if you're already there getting a gas cap . . . just saying.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look in the owners manual, the gas cap has it's own warning light.... "loose fuel filler cap" light.

OP
OP
MYMISSIONISFISHIN

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure if everyone is reading my prior posts. The Check engine light went OFF, yesterday afternoon when I came out of work. The gas cap I bought tonite was through our local Dodge dealer, as it was an OEM cap, not an aftermarket cap.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Not sure if everyone is reading my prior posts. The Check engine light went OFF, yesterday afternoon when I came out of work. The gas cap I bought tonite was through our local Dodge dealer, as it was an OEM cap, not an aftermarket cap.

The code is still stored in there. The CEL going off means it no longer senses whatever issue it found, but the codes are stored until cleared. If you are ever at an auto parts store, have them hook you up, see what it was. Maybe its just my OCD about my truck, but it would bug the dickins out of me if I didn't know what my truck's computer was trying to tell me. Up to you, of course.

Good call in getting the OEM gas cap. Stories galore all over the interwebs, including many forums, of aftermarket gas caps causing issues.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup! I believe O'Reillys does this for free as well. Advance Auto quit doing it, at least in my area, due to liability issues (they claim).
I work for advance auto in NC and we read the codes all the time for free.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

crzetex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is funny!

I have an 18 Lonestar and my truck did this exact thing yesterday. I have 3600 miles on it. I went out yesterday AM and started the truck and the CEL was on. I turned off the truck and restarted it and the light was still on. Went out after work and the light was off.

Very strange.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat