Engine knock during accel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For while I was trying to be cheap and run the 87 octane but in the summer time, I would get engine knock on acceleration. I finally gave in since then and put in the recommended 89 octane. It made a difference, but still getting some knocking on acceleration once the engine has warmed up. It won't do it on a cold engine which makes sense.
I read that the plugs should be changed out fairly often...meaning not a 100k mile kind of interval. I have 75k on the truck and I was wondering if it's possible that worn out plugs could have anything to do with pre-detonation with the thought that if the plugs are worn out, the mixture isn't fully combusting and the left over mixture is combusting on its own like some sort of detonation out of sync with the spark. This probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm just trying to figure out why I'm still getting engine knocking on accel. I really don't want to have to run the good stuff for gas.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
For while I was trying to be cheap and run the 87 octane but in the summer time, I would get engine knock on acceleration. I finally gave in since then and put in the recommended 89 octane. It made a difference, but still getting some knocking on acceleration once the engine has warmed up. It won't do it on a cold engine which makes sense.
I read that the plugs should be changed out fairly often...meaning not a 100k mile kind of interval. I have 75k on the truck and I was wondering if it's possible that worn out plugs could have anything to do with pre-detonation with the thought that if the plugs are worn out, the mixture isn't fully combusting and the left over mixture is combusting on its own like some sort of detonation out of sync with the spark. This probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm just trying to figure out why I'm still getting engine knocking on accel. I really don't want to have to run the good stuff for gas.
Changing plugs at 75k would be a start.........more likely carbon built up on valves & top of pistons causing hot spots that can lead to detonation.
Start using top tier gas & Red Line 60103 SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner
And blow out some of that carbon........LoL

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try an UCL (upper cylinder lube), I like the idea of redline si-1 as it is a lube plus cleaner, but also add a small bottle lucas UCL. And adding 89 to some 87 made it better, I certainly would go 91. My truck is night and day difference when I run 91 over 87 my two choices at costco.

Catch can is a hose off pcv that catches junk from going through combustion chamber. Redline si-1 is lazy mans catch can, it will clean combustion chamber.