Engine swap noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calangas1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L and it had an engine swap with a 2005 4.7 engine. I have driven the truck before the engine swap and the engine sounded good and powerful. Now it sounds like “windy”. The fan is the loudest thing I hear instead of a strong V8 engine. What can the issue be?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L and it had an engine swap with a 2005 4.7 engine. I have driven the truck before the engine swap and the engine sounded good and powerful. Now it sounds like “windy”. The fan is the loudest thing I hear instead of a strong V8 engine. What can the issue be?

Seized fan clutch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Calangas1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not seized it spins. Is there a way to do checks to see if it is not working properly? I was told by previous owner the fan clutch was swapped out. Maybe it was not installed right or something. I drop the gearshift to low 1 and wow it sounds like a bus engine.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the engine running, take an old magazine or newspaper and try placing it in the fan. Whatever you do, DO NOT put your hand in there, it will turn it into hamburger. If the fan stops, your clutch is bad and no longer engages as it should.