ERS(electronic range select) -tow/haul difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
these 2 confuse me. with all the technology and computers in the vehicles today, I have to choose one of these? You mean to tell me there is a hill assist feature but it wont select the right gear for you when towing? Anyway, I am referring to the 8 speed hemi. On my steering wheel is the ers (electronic range selector) for the transmission. And the tow/haul is a button on the dash. I know how to select them/turn them on/change them etc. Im just not sure when to use them and what setting they should be on. Examples/explanations would be appreciated. thanks

kidwolf908

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
these 2 confuse me. with all the technology and computers in the vehicles today, I have to choose one of these? You mean to tell me there is a hill assist feature but it wont select the right gear for you when towing? Anyway, I am referring to the 8 speed hemi. On my steering wheel is the ers (electronic range selector) for the transmission. And the tow/haul is a button on the dash. I know how to select them/turn them on/change them etc. Im just not sure when to use them and what setting they should be on. Examples/explanations would be appreciated. thanks

The only time I really use ERS is when I don't want MDS (cylinder deactivation) to engage. I find MDS to be pretty annoying when I'm putting around town under 40-50mph, so I use ERS (set to 8) to keep it from entering MDS mode.

Tow/Haul is pretty self explanatory. It alters the transmission shift logic so that the tranny doesn't try to run through the gears as quickly as possible for fuel economy. It holds gears longer and doesn't shift as frequently to reduce strain on the transmission and reduce heat in the transmission.