Ers steering wheel gear selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello,

Silly question but omw back from the girlfriends house there is a stretxh of road that is great for more spirited driving. I used the steering wheel controls to hit the "-" and then layed on it and hit the "+" button when I got near the 5800 rpms and the truck went into limp mode.

I was wondering what the best way to have some spirited driving with a 16 ram 1500 with 3.92 gears. Is it best to be around 20-30mph with ers on and at 8 like I do for cruising and then lay on it, or should I downshift using the controls to a proper gear with higher rpms and then lay on it and upshift using the "+" at a certain time?

Ive read in here that if you hold the "-" button it will downshift to the lowest safe avaialble gear at a higher rpm for driving but I was wondering if it will still have the gear lockout set to 8 or would it change that and I have to manually hit the "+" again.

Basically, if for some reason I come across another spirited driver, what would be the optimal way of utilizing the hemi in these things? Dumb question I know but I didnt tealize the "+","-" is just to downshift and to lockout gears and not actually to manully upshift as well. Coming from only spirited driving in manual cars I dont have a clue whats best. Obviously from stop you can sort of ease off the line before opening up since it is in 1st gear but for a "roll" Id appreciate the feed back.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Just punch it

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

Silly question but omw back from the girlfriends house there is a stretxh of road that is great for more spirited driving. I used the steering wheel controls to hit the "-" and then layed on it and hit the "+" button when I got near the 5800 rpms and the truck went into limp mode.

I was wondering what the best way to have some spirited driving with a 16 ram 1500 with 3.92 gears. Is it best to be around 20-30mph with ers on and at 8 like I do for cruising and then lay on it, or should I downshift using the controls to a proper gear with higher rpms and then lay on it and upshift using the "+" at a certain time?

Ive read in here that if you hold the "-" button it will downshift to the lowest safe avaialble gear at a higher rpm for driving but I was wondering if it will still have the gear lockout set to 8 or would it change that and I have to manually hit the "+" again.

Basically, if for some reason I come across another spirited driver, what would be the optimal way of utilizing the hemi in these things? Dumb question I know but I didnt tealize the "+","-" is just to downshift and to lockout gears and not actually to manully upshift as well. Coming from only spirited driving in manual cars I dont have a clue whats best. Obviously from stop you can sort of ease off the line before opening up since it is in 1st gear but for a "roll" Id appreciate the feed back.
Use the "-" to 8th gear on the dash, then drive it spirited, don't worry about shifting it manually. Putting it in 8th will keep MDS off.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The ERS + & - buttons are just to lock out gearing and will only be overridden by the transmission if your trying to do something that will damage the transmission(no guarantees something still won't break).
If you like to do some spirited driving, turn the Tow/Haul mode on, it will cause the transmission to try to keep the engine rpms more into the torque band of the engine.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice, yeah I did that anyway in the past but never really went pedal to the metal and then remembered the +,- buttons. That makes thing easier knowing to just give it more gas. Thanks, I got all the answers I need

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice, yeah I did that anyway in the past but never really went pedal to the metal and then remembered the +,- buttons. That makes thing easier knowing to just give it more gas. Thanks, I got all the answers I need
You shouldn't hit limp mode at 5800,limp mode shouldn't happen till your well above 6,000. Most guys use the (+) button and upshift at around 5900 if they're racing their stock trucks. If you hit the plus button at 5800,the truck should make the upshift at about 6,000,which makes me think you were hitting the plus button at 6,000 or higher,as that might put you into limp mode by the time the transmission physically makes the shift.You have to remember the shift goes through the canbus system,so there's a slight delay after you hit the upshift button,before it actually shifts. Quite often it takes a couple stabs at the upshift button to,just because you hit the button once,doesn't mean it's actually changed gears on the dash. One way around that is to add paddle shifters to your steering wheel,as they seem to be a little more precise and will make the truck usually shift before the ERS button will.

Attachments

• DSCN3838.JPG
    DSCN3838.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3839.JPG
    DSCN3839.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well the paddles are amazing and yeah that very well could have been the case! I would just like to down shift to the great/rpm of choice and then lay on it and just hit the + to unlock it out of that gear. That way I know what rpms ill be at when starting. When just cruising it seems sometimes doesnt feel as mych torque and acceleration as other times and its prob starting in a higher gesr than the time before but no way for me to tell besides my butt lol. I think ill try holding the "-" button to see if it does go to the lowest gear available with high rpms.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well the paddles are amazing and yeah that very well could have been the case! I would just like to down shift to the great/rpm of choice and then lay on it and just hit the + to unlock it out of that gear. That way I know what rpms ill be at when starting. When just cruising it seems sometimes doesnt feel as mych torque and acceleration as other times and its prob starting in a higher gesr than the time before but no way for me to tell besides my butt lol. I think ill try holding the "-" button to see if it does go to the lowest gear available with high rpms.
It should display the gear your in,if you're using the ERS buttons.Look in the bottom right hand corner of the Evic ,and you should see the gear display.Watch it when you're using the buttons to upshift,just to make sure it's actually made the shift when you hit the upshift button,as quite often one stab at the button isn't enough for it to actually display the next higher gear,and if it's not displaying the next higher gear in the Evic the trucks computor system hasn't actually registered the upshift

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am pretty sure mine just displays the highest gear and not the current one as well, which sucks. Ill recheck though

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am pretty sure mine just displays the highest gear and not the current one as well, which sucks. Ill recheck though
It'll show current gear,if you're using the buttons to manually shift it.Next time you have your foot buried through the floor,watch the display to make sure it's actually showing the next higher gear after you've hit the upshift button.If it doesn't display the next higher gear,start stabbing the button harder,as it's not gonna shift,until it displays the next gear up.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Oh I get what your saying, if im in second and hit "+" it wont show gear 3 until after it actually shifts instead of just displaying 3 as the new highest gear

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Oh I get what your saying, if im in second and hit "+" it wont show gear 3 until after it actually shifts instead of just displaying 3 as the new highest gear
Nope,it has to display 3 in the Evic before it'll actually upshift.If you're in 2nd with your foot to the floor,and you hit the upshift button,and it doesn't immediately show 3 in the display,the truck won't make the shift out of 2nd to 3rd.You need the next higher gear to display first,before the truck will shift.If it still shows 2 after you hit the upshift button,start stabbing the upshift button harder,as it'll stay in 2nd till it hits limp mode,or you get 3 to show on the evic.
Just because you hit the upshift button,doesn't mean it's actually going to make the shift,the ERS buttons leave a whole lot to be desired when it comes to making full throttle upshifts

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice, maybe that is what happened in my story above. Ill give that a shot for sure. I don't usually rag on it but the first time I did and with the gear selector it was not ideal lol.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
@Wild one - so driving home from the gf house tonight and I dropped the gear to 2nd at around 3kish rpms and layed on it and around 5k I hit the "+" sign and still it hung and went to limp mode. I decided to do it one more time but this time I hit the button multiple times and it worked just fine. I was wondering though if when I get to the gear I want and run it again could I just hit the "+" sign way almost immediately a few times to get the highest gear lockout to 7 or 8. Reason I ask is because when you are pedal to the metal and it not being an actual manual upshift, shouldnt the computer register the amount of gas you are giving it to shift at its usual max stock rom which is like 5800 without shifting prematurely?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one - so driving home from the gf house tonight and I dropped the gear to 2nd at around 3kish rpms and layed on it and around 5k I hit the "+" sign and still it hung and went to limp mode. I decided to do it one more time but this time I hit the button multiple times and it worked just fine. I was wondering though if when I get to the gear I want and run it again could I just hit the "+" sign way almost immediately a few times to get the highest gear lockout to 7 or 8. Reason I ask is because when you are pedal to the metal and it not being an actual manual upshift, shouldnt the computer register the amount of gas you are giving it to shift at its usual max stock rom which is like 5800 without shifting prematurely?
That works ,but the factory shift point is 5500/5600 not 5800. Did you watch the display to make sure 3 showed up in it,when you hit the + button. I'm guessing it still didn't show 3 in the display when it hit limp mode.If it doesn't show the next higher gear in the corner of the evic,when you hit the + button,it's not gonna make the shift,and you'll have to hit the button again until it shows the next number up the shift schedule.Roll racing or doing roll pulls with the 8 speed means watching the evic very close on your shifts to make sure the truck will actually shift. You don't have to manually downshift the 8 speed like you do the older lighter duty 5/6 speed RFE transmissions.You can just leave the ers alone and floor it,it'll take care of the downshifts and upshifts all by itself with no issues

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Little tidbit of info for you,never go lower then 3 on the evic,for a roll style race,or even launching it from a stand still. Usually you can't make the shifts fast enough to keep it out of limp mode.Use the - button to take it down to 3 on the evic,and let the truck shift on it's own for the first 2 shifts,after you're in 3rd,you usually have enough time on the shift for the + button to work,but the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift happen to fast for the buttons to actually work

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah it is difficult to tell, I thought I seen the 3 show up but honestly may have paid more attention to the road for wildfire since it was at night time ect. I think ill just let the 8speed do its thing from here on out. It just seems to pull so much harder when manually downshifting it to a gear/rpm than to just cruise along and floor it. But I could be comparing it at two different speeds instead of downshift to 2nd/3kish rpms and like 35-40ish mph just flooring it and letting it do it automatically. Thanks for the info! It really does have a lot of backbone stock, I enjoy it a lot. Can't wait to do the actual performance mods and tune down the road.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Little tidbit of info for you,never go lower then 3 on the evic,for a roll style race,or even launching it from a stand still. Usually you can't make the shifts fast enough to keep it out of limp mode.Use the - button to take it down to 3 on the evic,and let the truck shift on it's own for the first 2 shifts,after you're in 3rd,you usually have enough time on the shift for the + button to work,but the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift happen to fast for the buttons to actually work
Honestly makes sense lol is it safe to just go off the line and/or the speed at which 2nd gear would usually downshift to as long as I have my evic set to 7/8 and let the computer do everything?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah it is difficult to tell, I thought I seen the 3 show up but honestly may have paid more attention to the road for wildfire since it was at night time ect. I think ill just let the 8speed do its thing from here on out. It just seems to pull so much harder when manually downshifting it to a gear/rpm than to just cruise along and floor it. But I could be comparing it at two different speeds instead of downshift to 2nd/3kish rpms and like 35-40ish mph just flooring it and letting it do it automatically. Thanks for the info! It really does have a lot of backbone stock, I enjoy it a lot. Can't wait to do the actual performance mods and tune down the road.
Like i said,only use the - button to take it down till it's showing 3 in the evic,and let the truck do the first 2 shifts by itself,once it's in 3rd you can take over and run it up to about 5800 then hit the + button to upshift it,and it should make the shift by about 6,000,which is where the stock cam starts to fall off