ETorque ? Anyone happy with it? Reliability ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamAnderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi e-torque
Brand new (3 weeks old) 2020 with etorque. Getting 14 in town. A little early to judge but I don't see the benefit so far.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
It's simple really...etorque will only help with fuel economy if you stop a lot, like in city traffic. If you do a lot of highway driving you won't see any benefit from it. Base your decision on what type of driving you will be doing.

WRONG!

Etorque also helps the shift pattern both up and down the gears to smooth out the shifts and reduce wear on the engine. This is in play on the highway. Why do people post false info like you did?

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I have the eTorque with 5.7 and love it. I have had it a year and a half with zero issues. It has worked exactly as advertised. The MPG is improved in stop and go traffic. The extra torque helps with towing. If you want better milage get the 3:21 gears. That is what I have and pull anything I want. My on the highway mileage is mid 20's. I got 28 mpg on a 300 mile trip across Louisiana.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This type of setup is anything but new. Auto makers have been doing things like this for over 100 years. Google it.

Thanks for referring me to Google. However, I was referring to the subject of this thread, specifically the eTorque system in RAM pickups which is not 100 years old.

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6
I agree. I have a 19 Rebel with Etorque and I haven’t had any issues with mine. ::knockonwood:: I have just over 15k so far. As far as mileage I get around 12.5 in the city as most of mine is city driving. The dealer had it and it wasn’t something I was specifically looking for. The start stop of the engine is more of a gimmick to me and if I am driving around town I usually turn it off as it’s super hot in Vegas and when the engine cuts so does the AC.

The battery for it is behind the rear seats and it essentially replaces the alternator with a generator.

But if you specifically don’t want an ETorque then build what you want or have them dealer trade. Don’t settle. It’s a buyers market right now. Just look at the rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, I am curious. If the the ETorque is good solidstate electronics, isn’t that better than an alternator strap that can get muddy and damaged with time ?

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about AC or heat at stops? Does the engine kick back on when the blower temp goes outside the set range?
My 5.7 is getting between 19 and 21 MPG with mixed driving. I elected to omit the etorque due to weight, possible reliability issues, and I had read the AC/heat was an issue.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I looked at E torque. But the math does not add up for me. I try not to do city driving hence it is of no real value to me . I have owned Prius's for gas mileage and they are a pitiful JOKE. All hybrids should get way more gas mileage than they do. I have taught myself how to make major repairs of the electrical systems on these as well. I can tell you from my side of the fence I am DONE with them. Stick with the Hemi and if you really wanna enjoy the Hemi put a supercharger on it . That was my BEST move.

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6
I looked at E torque. But the math does not add up for me. I try not to do city driving hence it is of no real value to me . I have owned Prius's for gas mileage and they are a pitiful JOKE. All hybrids should get way more gas mileage than they do. I have taught myself how to make major repairs of the electrical systems on these as well. I can tell you from my side of the fence I am DONE with them. Stick with the Hemi and if you really wanna enjoy the Hemi put a supercharger on it . That was my BEST move.
Outside gas mileage, don’t you think the extra battery could be useful for electric power tools for a short time in a field ? I can start the engine but a bit less.

seadog1272

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 ETorque
I have had ET for just about 2 years and 25 k. I really like the stop start feature in stop and go traffic. I have had no issues with the truck, just regular maintenance. I have every option except the sunroof, so I haven't had any technology problems. Everything works as advertised. I pull a 6600 lb travel trailer that puts me very close to my cargo capacity and the truck just keeps on truckin. I would buy it again.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1. Owning a vehicle is not a money making venture.
2. If eTorque does fail, it won't stop the engine from working normally.
Wasn't getting at it being a "money making venture" just simply being reliable long-term.

And since the etorque unit is also the alternator/generator it most certainly could leave you stranded.

Dean B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has been in the dealership for the 6th week now waiting for 48 V power distribution parts. This is the unit that drives the e torque system. Mine blow up at less than 600 km or 400 miles. I only had it for 6 days.

S_Bedard

Reaction score
Engine
V6
Mine has been in the dealership for the 6th week now waiting for 48 V power distribution parts. This is the unit that drives the e torque system. Mine blow up at less than 600 km or 400 miles. I only had it for 6 days.
Did they give you an ok truck while waiting?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
WRONG!

Etorque also helps the shift pattern both up and down the gears to smooth out the shifts and reduce wear on the engine. This is in play on the highway. Why do people post false info like you did?

Step off your high horse there Narg. I'm speaking from my own experience, which is not false info. There is zero difference from a driving point of view between our Laramie with etorque and our Limited without etorque. Anything that might be happening behind the scenes is not noticeable by either me or my wife. As an owner I have no way of verifying these things you claim. The only noticeable thing about etorque is the stop/start feature, which never activates because I don't have to stop at intersections on my commute. I have seen no increased fuel economy with this system since buying this truck almost a year ago. In fact, it replaced a 2017 Rebel which averaged more than 1 mpg better fuel economy.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My vote is keep it simple. I have the adjustable air (nitrogen) suspension. Got it because it was helpful for my older mother to get into the truck.
No problems yet, but I found that the entire shock will need to be replaced when the time comes. And since it is a nitrogen system, I can't do it at home. Shocks are about $700 each.
I am thinking of selling it before I have this expense.

Goal10der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have a 2019 1500 with the e-torque 5.7 and just under 24000 miles. I've had no issues with it, and the ability to shut it off from the dash is always there (really good if you're in a lot of stop/go city traffic: it can be annoying). I was concerned initially with the newer technology and chance of breaking something if it went out of the standard or extended warranty. However, if you check the warranty, all of the e-torque components are covered under the Federal EPA requirements for directly related components, and are covered for 80,000 miles. I don't mind the system, just takes getting used to, after a while you don't notice the start/stop. It's basically seamless, as soon as you release pressure on the brake pedal it starts back up. The only thing I noticed is that when it does, it lurches the truck forward a few inches, but you compensate by just lightly releasing the brake so it still holds without movement.

Hardest thing for me was when I took it out for a test drive. Being old school, okay a dinosaur, when you're waiting to pull out of somewhere and everything shuts down, it brings back memories or quickly throwing a vehicle into neutral at a stop, so the engine wouldn't die on you (ah, the good old days). The sales rep hadn't realized the truck had e-torque and I was left wondering how they were going to pull a dead truck with 5 miles on it at the time, back to the other side of the building to the service department to fix it. As I let off the brake he realized it had the e-torque and we went on from there.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have a 2019 1500 with the e-torque 5.7 and just under 24000 miles. I've had no issues with it, and the ability to shut it off from the dash is always there (really good if you're in a lot of stop/go city traffic: it can be annoying). I was concerned initially with the newer technology and chance of breaking something if it went out of the standard or extended warranty. However, if you check the warranty, all of the e-torque components are covered under the Federal EPA requirements for directly related components, and are covered for 80,000 miles. I don't mind the system, just takes getting used to, after a while you don't notice the start/stop. It's basically seamless, as soon as you release pressure on the brake pedal it starts back up. The only thing I noticed is that when it does, it lurches the truck forward a few inches, but you compensate by just lightly releasing the brake so it still holds without movement.

Hardest thing for me was when I took it out for a test drive. Being old school, okay a dinosaur, when you're waiting to pull out of somewhere and everything shuts down, it brings back memories or quickly throwing a vehicle into neutral at a stop, so the engine wouldn't die on you (ah, the good old days). The sales rep hadn't realized the truck had e-torque and I was left wondering how they were going to pull a dead truck with 5 miles on it at the time, back to the other side of the building to the service department to fix it. As I let off the brake he realized it had the e-torque and we went on from there.

I have a 2019 Rebel with the eTorque as well - and just over 22,000 miles. I have had no problems with the system, as others have said "knock on wood" (and using my head to ensure hardwood contact). I had the same experience when test driving the system for the first time.

I agree that it is basically seamless. I also agree that it lurches forward just a bit when I let up on the brake, but since I only do that when I am getting ready to move forward, not that big a deal.

Someone mentioned something about the A/C cutting off when the eTorque kicks in. I have not had that issue. The A/C continues to function seamlessly. The only thing I have noticed with eTorque and A/C is when using climate control. If the climate control system kicks in at a light to adjust the temperature, sometimes the eTorque will get turned off.

Other than that, I have no complaints about it at all.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
So far so good with mine after 5k miles. Truck got 19 mpg for a 3700 mile round trip to Texas averaging 75-80 mph and has been getting close to 17 in stop and go thru the village here. I know it is another complication, but they have a few years on the technology and it was in the only truck I could find with specific features I wanted. I'm more worried about the panoramic sunroof I had to live with.
I know nothing about the E torque, shuts the motor off when you stop, I guess? the button on the dash does that O.K. as well.:)
But I just don't see the point of sunroofs, let the sun and heat in, I never use mine, great selling point.
The power back window is handy, for long moldings when the wife needs new trim in the house.

Miles777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 litre
What about AC or heat at stops? Does the engine kick back on when the blower temp goes outside the set range?
My 5.7 is getting between 19 and 21 MPG with mixed driving. I elected to omit the etorque due to weight, possible reliability issues, and I had read the AC/heat was an issue.
I live in Phoenix which has been miserably hot this summer. My new 2020 RAM 1500 has the eTorque feature and the truck's computer will not let the engine stop/start when the outside temp is really high (like 110+ degrees). I've also noticed that even if the engine turns off at a stoplight on a slightly less hot day, about the time that the air from the A/C vents began to get too warm, the truck's computer automatically restarts the engine all by itself (even while I'm still stationary waiting for the light to change) presumably to get the A/C going again for cabin temperature control. Since most of my driving is suburban (a mixture of stop/go and cruising) the eT might slightly improve my overall mileage. My previous two sedan purchases have been hybrid sedans so I'm used to having the engine stop at traffic lights.

Last edited:

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 Limited Etorque has over 83,000 kms (>50,000 miles). I drive a lot of long distance as well as a mix of town but not much city. I have had zero issues and my MPG is improved close to 1 mpg over both the 15 and 17 Limited it replaced. I factory order my trucks with all options including 3:92 gears. When I order my 21 it will have Etorque without question. As has been mentioned the Etorque has a longer warranty than an alternator.

Tydog96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
No prob with mine. 4400 miles, 3.21 rear. The pull down during deaccelaration to stop take a little getting use to. Probably helps the brake pads :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500