Etorque or non-etorque – which one would you prefer and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edh13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
I don’t understand why people think that the E-torque option is $1700 plus. It’s only $200 greater than the standard 5.7. Even the Ram Rep that did the “six things” video was confused.

Look at the sticker of any Ram 1500 trim level other than a “limited” and the standard 5.7 is an $1800 option, the E-Torque 5.7 is a $2000 option. Look at a “limited” window sticker and the E-torque is a $200 option (guess they consider 5.7 as standard on a limited). If you’re going to get a 5.7 you’re only going to pay $200 more for E-Torque regardless.

Also I don’t understand why people think stop/start is a nonstarter, pardon the pun. I don’t like it either but that’s the future, you’re going to be stuck with it one way or the other here soon. And this vehicle is probably the most user-friendly of ANY stop/start vehicle by a mile. Not just because of the E-Torque smoothness but also the disengage button is purposely placed in the most convenient location possible. If you extend your thumb 1/4 of an inch while you’re shifting into drive you will hit the button. I do it unconsciously now… I have to go 4 pages deep in the menu to shut it off in my wife’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a good video on the features and benefits of eTorque. You should watch it before making up your mind.

My 2021 Limited came with it and I like it. The start/stop feature is virtually seamless and the extra torque is great. It's also supposed to help with gear shifts and I can tell you that my RAM's shifting is as smooth as glass. Additionally, stopping requires much less brake power due to the regenerative braking. That should help with brake pad longevity.

Also, the eTorque components are covered by the Federal Emissions section of the warranty for 8 years/80,000 miles.

It used to cost $1450 but now it only costs $200 extra.

It's just another good option to consider. It helps a bit with the gas mileage and supplies some other nice benefits. For only $200 it's a bargain but it's certainly not essential.

Last edited:

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ZERO INTEREST IN THE STOP/START FUNCTION... NO E-TORQUE FOR ME!

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My family has two of them in the driveway and both eTorques have performed flawlessly. In our opinion, they take off smoother with no throttle lag (can't understand why anyone would want to add a Throttle Commander to an eTorque model but have done it on our non-eTorque Ram before we traded it as the lag was terrible), the transmission with the eTorque is smooth as glass 100% of the time and in our opinion the driveabilty of the eTorque is fantastic. Yes, you'll get those who say they would never purchase one or shy'd away from one because of the rear seat battery but that's their choice. We've got eight years of warranty and after that the one could easily assume there will be aftermarket batteries, defeat systems and everything else one could imagine to keep it on the road for less than a MSRP rear seat battery...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don’t understand why people think that the E-torque option is $1700 plus. It’s only $200 greater than the standard 5.7. Even the Ram Rep that did the “six things” video was confused.

Look at the sticker of any Ram 1500 trim level other than a “limited” and the standard 5.7 is an $1800 option, the E-Torque 5.7 is a $2000 option. Look at a “limited” window sticker and the E-torque is a $200 option (guess they consider 5.7 as standard on a limited). If you’re going to get a 5.7 you’re only going to pay $200 more for E-Torque regardless.

Also I don’t understand why people think stop/start is a nonstarter, pardon the pun. I don’t like it either but that’s the future, you’re going to be stuck with it one way or the other here soon. And this vehicle is probably the most user-friendly of ANY stop/start vehicle by a mile. Not just because of the E-Torque smoothness but also the disengage button is purposely placed in the most convenient location possible. If you extend your thumb 1/4 of an inch while you’re shifting into drive you will hit the button. I do it unconsciously now… I have to go 4 pages deep in the menu to shut it off in my wife’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the start date for this thread (August 2018). You're ranting about something in a thread that is over 2 years old LOL. Prices change over time. The etorque option was kind of expensive for 2019 models. That price difference dropped during the 2020 model year production. Etorque added $200 to the price of my 2020 Laramie I bought at the end of 2019, but it added something like $900 to the price of my daughter's 2019 Rebel she bought in August of 2018.