Exhaust modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twonky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just wanted to let everyone know of some exhaust upgrades I did that really improved my 2017 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4.

Just like most I was unsatisfied with the exhaust tone and throttle response on my truck. After searching the forums and online research I came up with a low cost way to do some improvements. I started out bone stock with poor response and mild(not a hemi) exhaust tone. my mileage not towing was 10-11 in the city and 14 on the highway. I really wanted to do headers and a full cat back exhaust but the money was not there right now so here is my alternative.

SB CAI and throttle body spacer keeping stock TB
Mufflex muffler retaining stock resonator, magna flow y pipe adapter( to reduce restriction). Muffler shop charged 65 to cut and tack weld.
Reused original exhaust manifolds but sand blasted to remove rust. New gasket matched, ported and polished with Eastwood internal exhaust coating and Eastwood silver high temp coating. Did not retain stock heat-shields.
Spark plugs while it was apart 60k miles. NGK5AIX-11.

installation:
Did the Tb spacer and CAI first since it was the easiest and quickest. Noticed some improvement in throttle response. Next installed the Mufflex muffler. Hardest part was getting the hanger rubbers off. Noticeable increase in tone and throttle response. Yes it still drones with MDS. Turn-up the radio no problem. Will turn off MDS when I get the software. Used tow haul to eliminate drone for now. Next was the hardest part. Removed wheel liners and tires. Removed exhaust manifolds. Drivers side was the worst. I had to drop steering shaft and use 1/4 inch drive air gun to remove most bolts. Air tube for EGR is no picnic either. Passengers side much easier. Inscribed gasket to ports to see what material I had to remove. Then I started with a straight bit to get the port size match( in some places almost a 1/4” of material was removed to match the gasket) finishing up with a acorn bit to smooth/blend the walls, remove casting flash and blend the exhaust gas diverters. There was also a fair sized lip at the exhaust exit to smooth out. Ran a flap wheel on a long shaft to smooth casting through the center of the manifold. Polished using my Dremel tool with standard round sanding wheels. About 2 1/2 hours per manifold checking against the cylinder head ports to make sure openings were smooth and uniform. Sprayed the interior coating and let dry for 24 hours. This coating prevents rust buildup from forming, smooths flow and reduces under hood temps by keeping heat in the manifold. I also sprayed it in the y pipe 2 feet in. Painted manifolds with high temp outside and reassembled in 24 hours. Replaced spark plugs thrushes wheel openings. Very easy 30 minutes a side not rushing. Then had muffler shop do the y pipe adapter.

Results: very happy with the exhaust tone it’s deeper, louder(not too much) and sounds like a hemi truck. Even have some rumble in the engine bay at the manifolds. Throttle response improved noticeably and pickup under my lead foot improved. For some real world experience I just got back from a trip from PA to NC. Average mpg highway: 16.5 down with heavy traffic, 17.3 on the return trip. 75 miles per hour on the interstates. This is with MDS on. My local driving has maintained 15.5 or better over two tanks. Cost for everything using my labor and beer including muffler shop. Mufflex:267.00, SB intake: 327.00, TB spacer: 125.00, Y pipe adapter 78.00, Sparkplugs: 98.00, Eastwood chemical sprays: 62.00. Muffler shop: 65.00. Grand total: 1022.00.

All in all I think it was a good investment. I know many say there are no gains porting and polishing stock manifolds but they really opened up. To have done this job with headers and cat back would have added over 2000.00 extra. Let me know what you think.

Next weekend transmission fluid and filter change. Transgo reprogramming kit(valve body and support bracket parts only. I won’t be pulling the tranny) Sonnax billet accumulator pistons, Revmax bonded separator plate and Sonnax line pressure adapter. I will let you know if they make a difference in my 66RFE transmission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Sonnax line pressure adaptor, is that the same thing as their line pressure booster? Just checking as you may end up throwing codes if you running the transgo shift kit with it. I just got done rebuilding my 545rfe with converter, transgo shift kit, updated solenoid pack, DNJ billet aluminum valve body channel plate, and the same Sonnax aluminum positions. I too have the pressure booster, however after hearing of guys dropping codes after installing both, I left the booster out.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which magnaflow y pipe did you use? And do you have any pictures of it installed?

OP
OP
Twonky

Twonky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s been on for over a month now with no codes. I have the 66rfe transmission. I haven’t towed yet so if it throws codes it’s an easy in and out. Yes it’s the latest version line pressure booster.

OP
OP
Twonky

Twonky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just had some surgery so pics are out for awhile. I used part# 10799. The shop swedged the y pipes just a bit for a tighter fit before tack welding. Cut carefully it’s a close fit.