Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking to replace the exhaust. I’m seeing a lot of conflicting info. What are a lot of you guys using.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
For example. I like this one. Some places it says it fits. Others it doesn’t. I’m a 2021 power wagon afe part 49-42056-B

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Magnaflow say's their 19200 catback will fit. I run one and it's fairly tame until you get on it.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
I really like that afe option. But it’s part number is for the 14-18. But then it also says it’s for the 2021? Do they all fit the same?

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would think so. If it didn't, then a longer (or shorter) mid (header) pipe might be needed (the pipe between the Y-pipe collector and primary muffler). Pretty sure most cat backs will fit the 5th GENs, unless the OEM says it won't. It usually takes the after market a year or more to make sure prior year equipment will bolt on to late models or at least make a product that will. I haven't researched, but I have not read any design changes in the exhaust for 5th GEN, behind the Y-pipe. Whatever you're looking at, call the OEM and confirm fitment. That AFE kit looks like it might have an aggressive, loud tone. Muffler looks small and it's definitely a straight-through type, but maybe you're okay with loud.

Some just take the resonator off the OE exhaust and call it day. I think the OE muffler is a straight-through design, but has some sort of valve in it that is supposed to do something, albeit not clear to me.

Vendor on this board, Got Exhaust, might offer some recommendations, plus do a search. Plenty of discussions on exhaust and all subjective.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like that afe option. But it’s part number is for the 14-18. But then it also says it’s for the 2021? Do they all fit the same?

the AFE 49-42056-B will work for your Power Wagon. We have that IN stock! Message me if you would like a quote.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Magnaflow say's their 19200 catback will fit. I run one and it's fairly tame until you get on it.
Had the pipe cut ahead of the muffler added a magnaflo #12288 and had the dual outlets 45 degrees down so the sound just floods around the truck. Wake neighbors loud at startup to scary aggressive growling. Co-worker said it sounded great while a block away…

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Had the pipe cut ahead of the muffler added a magnaflo #12288 and had the dual outlets 45 degrees down so the sound just floods around the truck. Wake neighbors loud at startup to scary aggressive growling. Co-worker said it sounded great while a block away…
Good deal. The community in this area is raising hell about loud car exhaust, street racing, and so forth. As a liberal bastion, the local govs have hamstrung the cops. There's like three of four HellCats and Demons running around in a pack terrorizing the roads and their exhaust are super aggressive, blacked-out windows, and wild graphics. They run like a Secret Service motorcade, just few inches between bumpers and always moving in unison. A long convoy of Harley's with off-road exhaust or straight pipes have nothing over these Hellcats.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you can get the basic gibson cat back setup and it'll work. website says it won't but it will. you'll probably have to turn down the tip a bit because of the bumper valances on the 19's and up. I have the same setup on my 18

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Every time I see a “what exhaust thread”, I always recommend the badlanz electric cut out. It’s super loud and beastie when you want and stock quiet when you want quiet. I thought the magnaflow replacement muffler wasn’t aggressive enough, but seemed like it could drone and become wearisome. Well the e cutout makes it way more aggressive sounding than any of the mufflers, and when you just want quiet, want to listen to music, or start up early in the morning in a neighborhood (which is a real concern for me) you close the valve.

ksonnen1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Magnaflow #12578 3" offset in/out seems to be a good choice.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2 cents: 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon; I installed a Magnaflow 19200 cat back system. Fit well, easily installed. Looks great! Sounds great. I wanted a free flow exhaust, for my pavement princess. I tow a travel trailer at some 9000 pounds loaded. It had a drone at around 2000 RPM, which when towing was very annoying to this semi deaf, old fart. I spoke to Magnaflow and they suggested a adding a pre-muffler to the system, which I did, I inserted a 14161 race muffler (as suggested) before the 19200, the only issue was that the pipe support in the area between the cats and 19200 system is not used due to the location of the 14161 muffler. The drone is gone at the 2000 RPM mark, but can be heard at 1500 RPM at the beginning of a hard pull while the truck is in 6th gear. Once it drops down to fifth all is good :) BTW the towing mileage did increase by almost a mile per gallon.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the new AWE system sounds great and no drone and almost quiet at highway speed
And my wife did not kill me

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the new AWE system sounds great and no drone and almost quiet at highway speed
And my wife did not kill me
I don't see anything on their website for the 2500 6.4. do you have photos and sound clip?

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry not looking as this is the Power wagon form
I have a 5.7 in a 1500

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2 cents: 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon; I installed a Magnaflow 19200 cat back system. Fit well, easily installed. Looks great! Sounds great. I wanted a free flow exhaust, for my pavement princess. I tow a travel trailer at some 9000 pounds loaded. It had a drone at around 2000 RPM, which when towing was very annoying to this semi deaf, old fart. I spoke to Magnaflow and they suggested a adding a pre-muffler to the system, which I did, I inserted a 14161 race muffler (as suggested) before the 19200, the only issue was that the pipe support in the area between the cats and 19200 system is not used due to the location of the 14161 muffler. The drone is gone at the 2000 RPM mark, but can be heard at 1500 RPM at the beginning of a hard pull while the truck is in 6th gear. Once it drops down to fifth all is good :) BTW the towing mileage did increase by almost a mile per gallon.

A little off topic, but you get into 6th with a 9000 pound tt? Hell i cant hardly get out of 4th with mine, and if it does hit 5th its just going down a long slight grade typically, and then will pop back into 4th again. I am on 35s with stock gearing, however.

Also, hitting 6th means you are not using the tow haul mode, as it completely locks out 6th. I would highly recommend tow haul mode when towing heavy like that.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I first starting towing with the PW I would just leave it in "D" I found the tow mode not efficient and held the gears too long. I would get into 6th on flat portions of the highway, and eco mode when coasting. The most recent "pull" to the MOPAR nationals (Poconos to outside Columbus Ohio) I put the truck into 6th and left it there. Most of the time it spent in 5th sitting around 2200 RPM, which I liked. I wish these newer PW had 4.56 gears in them. It would down shift into 4th going up hill, resteep hills it would find 3rd. I do not pull over 65 MPH and average 63.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I first starting towing with the PW I would just leave it in "D" I found the tow mode not efficient and held the gears too long. I would get into 6th on flat portions of the highway, and eco mode when coasting. The most recent "pull" to the MOPAR nationals (Poconos to outside Columbus Ohio) I put the truck into 6th and left it there. Most of the time it spent in 5th sitting around 2200 RPM, which I liked. I wish these newer PW had 4.56 gears in them. It would down shift into 4th going up hill, resteep hills it would find 3rd. I do not pull over 65 MPH and average 63.
Gotchya. Yea 4.56 gears are almost an absolute must with even stock gears and this damned 6 speed!

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotchya. Yea 4.56 gears are almost an absolute must with even stock gears and this damned 6 speed!
I would just lock it in 4th to tow so the engine stayed high in its torque curve. I viewed 5th and 6th as just overdrive cruising gears with no load and that seemed to make towing more pleasant. Hated all the down shifting and did the same with competitors gasser too. My tow needs went up and now I’m in a 3500 dually. The RFE transmission is MUCH better with the diesel. You can tell it was designed for the diesel and they just figured out a way to make it work with the gasser.