Expert needed - Should I buy this 3500 Diesel Dually to pull a 24k 5th wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look at the hot shotters hauling 3,4,5 cars at a time with a 3500. A buddy of mine does that and has put almost 200,000 miles on his 3500 and hasn't had an issue. Because of the weight that he is carrying he was required to get a Cdl. Also since he is commercial he has to have a log book.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From what I've heard, most of the licensing requirements are generated by your home state and there is generally reciprocity when you travel to other states (i.e. if it's legal in your state it's legal as you pass through another state). It wouldn't hurt to do some research if you plan to travel a lot. I can't remember the number but it seems like there was one that is a threshold in a lot of states. 26,000# is coming to mind... thinking that may be trailer GVWR? Just guessing and remembering from some previous reading.

One thing I know for certain is there are a whole lot less laws on a private level than on a commercial basis. I'm pretty sure you technically aren't allowed to move one brick in the back of your truck for money without all kinds of DOT certs and other crap in many states.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Send pics when you get ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Over on IRV2 there are more than several guys whom tow big and heavy with very similar tow vehicles. One in particular has a DRV and his combined weight is north of 33K lbs. Said it tows like a dream and has no complaints.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
  • 5th hitch - Anderson hitch is my plan. They have a $3mill insurance, not a single bad owner-review

Anderson is an excellent choice for trucks like yours with a full-length bed. I know you have a lot going on right now and just in case you may have missed Anderson's ratings, I wanted to point out that Anderson has two fifth wheel hitch solutions. One is a rail mount with a towing capacity of 20,000 pounds. The second is a gooseneck mount with a towing capacity of 24,000 pounds. Both offer a pin weight capacity of 4,500 pounds. Neither of these solutions is up to the task of managing a DRV, borderline on tow weight and overweight on pin weight.

I didn't see the RAM fifth wheel prep package listed in the options but it can be added (it is a Mopar kit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/391752568030?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true) making the B&W solution possible; http://www.turnoverball.com/product...nion-oem-5th-wheel-hitch-fits-ram-puck-system

However you go, good luck, awesome toy-hauler.

Last edited:

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
From what I've heard, most of the licensing requirements are generated by your home state and there is generally reciprocity when you travel to other states (i.e. if it's legal in your state it's legal as you pass through another state). It wouldn't hurt to do some research if you plan to travel a lot. I can't remember the number but it seems like there was one that is a threshold in a lot of states. 26,000# is coming to mind... thinking that may be trailer GVWR? Just guessing and remembering from some previous reading.

One thing I know for certain is there are a whole lot less laws on a private level than on a commercial basis. I'm pretty sure you technically aren't allowed to move one brick in the back of your truck for money without all kinds of DOT certs and other crap in many states.

Here in Florida, I have had friends get pulled over and ticketed for running over 26k total weight without a CDL. 2 of them were pulling 5th Wheel Travels and were told point blank that they would have to get a Class B CDL to continue to operate the setup in Florida. After research, we found that in order to not have to run a log book with the Class B CDL, they had to have "Not for Hire" stenciled on their trucks.

OP
OP
P

paustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
in order to not have to run a log book with the Class B CDL, they had to have "Not for Hire" stenciled on their trucks.

That is ridiculous. So, in order to not get arrested for being a ******, all the ladies are required to have their butts tattoo'd with "not a **********". You know, just to make it clear.

I suspect that LEO was having a bad day.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Not sure if you bought the truck yet, but if not, check your yellow payload sticker in the door jamb. What is that number? What is the pin weight of that beast? 5vers are usually 25% pin weight, so if we use 20k, that's 5,000 lb on the pin. I doubt a 3500 has that much payload. I think your in 4500+ territory with that beast. Just my .02. I think you'll be over on your payload and GRAWR. good luck and congrats!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357