Extra fuel revisted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some opinions. I'm planning a long trip, with some boondocking off road. I'd like to carry extra fuel, but want to do it safely. I have 2 Sceptor fuel cans and 2 water cans in the back of my truck that is covered with cap. Is carrying 10 gallons of gasoline like this a bad idea? Or, should I try to figure out how to carry these on the outside of the vehicle? This is my current set up.

IMG_0752.JPG

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Need some opinions. I'm planning a long trip, with some boondocking off road. I'd like to carry extra fuel, but want to do it safely. I have 2 Sceptor fuel cans and 2 water cans in the back of my truck that is covered with cap. Is carrying 10 gallons of gasoline like this a bad idea? Or, should I try to figure out how to carry these on the outside of the vehicle? This is my current set up.

View attachment 243316

I see you're from Florida, so no, perfectly fine .

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Out here even staying on the Interstate highway it is a great distance between no gas. It's a bad idea not to carry extra gas.
1216690.jpg
44YsRI2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out here even staying on the Interstate highway it is a great distance between no gas. It's a bad idea not to carry extra gas.
View attachment 243323
View attachment 243332

My trip is cross country with most of the boondocking out west. I've traveled throughout Utah, Nevada and Southern California and always got nervous about getting stranded without fuel. That's why I'm wondering if carrying the fuel in the bed area is okay. Definitely want to have extra. The small tank and big drinking PW is a problem.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think its fine...I haul 10 gals of non eth every time we go snowmobiling, which is frequent..granted I didn't get rear ended by a semi yet...would not worry..

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I carry it under my tonneau in the back all the time. Nothing to worry about. Just don't overfill them.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve carried fuel a lot of miles under a tonneau cover, but it did concern me enough to invest in some NATO spec jerrycans. Made in Europe, not chyna. I wanted to be sure there were no vapors leaking. And there weren’t.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As long as there is not going be people or Pets in the area where the jerry can are stored, you should be OK.

Do not fill the cans to the top, leave plenty of room for expansion.
I prefer boat fuel jugs, they can't tip over

When i had my 2009 Ram Hemi with a 32 gallon tank
I had a 30 gallon auxiliary tank & three 6 gallon boat jugs under my tonneau cover whenever i had a long distance job

u1v2.jpg

The other metal box carried my tools

ejck.jpg

img0888z.jpg

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
my set up will be similar to yours my spare tire carrier will have a jerry can holder but 1 will be for deisel fuel for my little heater I plan to use.i was thinking about a titan spare tank because I don't live in the states so legal issues are not as much of a concern I was also looking at solid mount in bed tanks but we sleep in the back so can't have any fumes any ideas anybody

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
My trip is cross country with most of the boondocking out west. I've traveled throughout Utah, Nevada and Southern California and always got nervous about getting stranded without fuel. That's why I'm wondering if carrying the fuel in the bed area is okay. Definitely want to have extra. The small tank and big drinking PW is a problem.

I carry two (2) reliable sealed 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans under my topper. Other than going 180 degrees in the wrong direction to get gas in Lakeview, Oregon, La Pine is the next reliable almost always open gas pump from Winnemucca, Nevada when I am driving to Central Oregon. The Power Wagon may make that 346 mile distance in mountainous and high desert terrain under ideal conditions without carrying extra gas, but only if it averages 14 MPG.

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
As long as the cans are sealed and you can ventilate the topper, should be good to go. Or spend a couple of grand for this https://www.expeditiononestore.com/...l-Swing-Rear-Bumper-for-2010-2018-_p_522.html problem solved. Or buy one of those hitch carriers and throw on extra gear and fuel. Of course your departure angle changes radically with that hanging off the hitch. Another tread discussing the 50 gal OE tank apparently available for MY20 6.4L. Not clear it fits a PW or is retrograde fit for earlier MYs. Seems each MY production has tweaks and features to something that are unlikely backwards compatible, unless someone drops the coin and tries to fit it.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I looked at the kyx looks great but its for rc cars still gotta build my own.the other one from expedition one is 2500 usd way above my price range and they probably don't ship to Canada for free. so in stead I build my own. I checked and their website and it wouldn't tell me how much shipping is

Last edited:
OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I carry two (2) reliable sealed 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans under my topper. Other than going 180 degrees in the wrong direction to get gas in Lakeview, Oregon, La Pine is the next reliable almost always open gas pump from Winnemucca, Nevada when I am driving to Central Oregon. The Power Wagon may make that 346 mile distance in mountainous and high desert terrain under ideal conditions without carrying extra gas, but only if it averages 14 MPG.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'm using new Scepter fuel cans from the military with new gaskets. I think they will be sealed fine. I can crack a window in the topper and keep the fuel level lower for expansion.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as the cans are sealed and you can ventilate the topper, should be good to go. Or spend a couple of grand for this https://www.expeditiononestore.com/...l-Swing-Rear-Bumper-for-2010-2018-_p_522.html problem solved. Or buy one of those hitch carriers and throw on extra gear and fuel. Of course your departure angle changes radically with that hanging off the hitch. Another tread discussing the 50 gal OE tank apparently available for MY20 6.4L. Not clear it fits a PW or is retrograde fit for earlier MYs. Seems each MY production has tweaks and features to something that are unlikely backwards compatible, unless someone drops the coin and tries to fit it.

I've always wanted the Expedition bumper with spare rack and fuel can holder, but they are very expensive and the lead time is like 4 months. Yikes.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

The 50 gallon OE tank is only available on the 8' box.

Reactions: BWL

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The 50 gallon OE tank is only available on the 8' box.

All the MOPAR parts sites I checked indicates the 50 gal tank will fit 2020 Power Wagon. Where did you see it only fits 8ft bed? Couple of threads on this same tank and some Wagon owners trying to obtain it. If that is the case, they will be in for a surprise.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All the MOPAR parts sites I checked indicates the 50 gal tank will fit 2020 Power Wagon. Where did you see it only fits 8ft bed? Couple of threads on this same tank and some Wagon owners trying to obtain it. If that is the case, they will be in for a surprise.
When it comes to ordering a truck and getting it outfitted that way from the factory, it needs to be the long box to get the big tank. That would leave me to believe it dosnt fit under a short box.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, has to be a crew cab long box configuration as well...