Extra Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTn7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew w/factory dual exhaust
Considered installing shorty headers when the exhaust manifold bolts break but don't want ANY increase in exhaust noise. It's too loud for me as it is. Talked to someone at Moe's and he confirmed it would make it louder and my only option would be to add an additional muffler. Anyone out there done this and how did it work out?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
switch to the single side exit factory muffler and tail. you will have to replace your bumper too but I'm sure you'll find someone willing to trade their single for a dual.

if you install a 2nd muffler/resonator, make sure it is a straight through design to prevent adding more restriction to the exhaust.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TBTn7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not going to get rid of the faux duals and bumper. How much would a straight-through really help and what are the best ones? Thanks for the reply.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew w/factory dual exhaust
Considered installing shorty headers when the exhaust manifold bolts break but don't want ANY increase in exhaust noise. It's too loud for me as it is. Talked to someone at Moe's and he confirmed it would make it louder and my only option would be to add an additional muffler. Anyone out there done this and how did it work out?

I would be surprised if anyone has done this. The factory exhaust is pretty quiet. The change from factory exhaust manifolds to shorty headers would only be slightly louder and most of that noise would be under the hood. The difference in exhaust note would be minor at best. You could pull out your factory muffler (single in dual out) and get two single in single out mufflers, in the largest size you can find, and a Y pipe but I am not sure how much quieter that would be. My exhaust shop let me hear several mufflers on my truck before I picked one and I still picked wrong. I could have gone a little bigger and quieter on mine as I find it a little loud in the morning at 6:00 am when I am heading to work. I am sure my neighbors are not impressed.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not going to get rid of the faux duals and bumper. How much would a straight-through really help and what are the best ones? Thanks for the reply.

Hunt up Gary's Hemi on here,i think he's running 2 mufflers in series on his R/T. Don't quote me on this,but I think he installed a straight through race muffler ahead of his muffler .