Factory jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StvnPrz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Gas
i bought a used truck that didn’t come with a jack. Should I just get a replacement factory jack kit or is there something better?

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pick one up from a wrecked truck at a junk yard. Much cheaper than buying from the dealer.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
20-ton bottle jack. Much better than the one I leave under the seat.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not against bottle jacks, but the problem with 'some' (most?) is weather they will have enough travel to extend from a flat tire, tall enough to install a fully inflated tire. Just check the travel before you get one. You should account for some amount that it will sink into the ground even if you use a board. They also are kinda unstable and can easily 'slip' off an axle too, and relatively heavy. A scissors jack will extend much higher and is lighter and easier to stow securely. Hopefully it has a notch or saddle to keep it from slipping off an axle. They aren't that ruggedly built, I agree. A jack should be securely fastened down because either can make a dangerous projectile should you get into an out-of-control situation.

I stick to a scissors jack. I agree with the Salvage outfit to get one, or Harbor Freight for a bottle jack. How often do most people 'really' use a vehicle jack? I can count on zero fingers how often I've used a vehicle jack to fix an unexpected flat in the last 20 years, and that includes a fair amount of off-roading in Moab and Rocky Mountain trails. My driveway doesn't count (I have had a number of flats in my driveway, but I have floor jacks for that). I generally don't run crap tires either but I also run them low enough to say sometimes they aren't 'great' prior to being replaced with a new set. So tires generally hold up pretty well. But of course a flat could potentially be around the next corner, so you gotta be prepared!

Now that I've said that, I'm sure a whole bunch of guys will say, "Hey, I get flats all the time!!"

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I had my Jeep I used to use the factory bottle jack whenever on road to change my tires. I had 35" muds, but it was a solid axle front & rear, so it was easy to get under the axle tube to lift it.

I haven't used my ram jack, but I'll bet it is designed to lift the rear axle by the tube, and the front by lower control arm, in a fashion that is safe (under the suspension). It isn't like cars where they provide jacks that lift by the frame/body and let the suspension droop...

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only times in my life I have used the vehicle jack was a few times I had too because I was away from home so didn't have access to my floor hydraulic jack. There were a number of times I take floor jack on trips with me because I hated the thought of getting a flat in some desolate place and having to use the jack that came with the vehicle.

I have now gotten to the point in my old age that I got my wife a AAA membership so if she ended up someplace with a flat she can have someone else come to her rescue. :)

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a 6x6 piece of cribbing will take care of a short bottle jack reach also works to help factory jacks so you are not winding for days

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a HiLift and an electric scissor jack--

There ain't much I can't lift-

Whatever

JIMBO

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The original sissor jack is kind of a PITA to wrench-up a loadad RAM.
You can get cheap 20 ton bottle hydraulic jack's who are mor comfortable to jack--up your truck.
You don't need a 20 ton jack, but they are bigger and extend higher than a 5 ton one.
Backdraw is that you don't have a place to store it, maybe zip or velcro tied under the seat where the original goes?
Some thick pieces of hardwood are also always a good thing to have in your truck
Chris