Farewell Ram and hello Tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't recall if it was Toyota Canada or USA that paid for an entire box replacement on my 07 Tundra, one of them covered the costs of the whole job.

I had a Linex liner and paid the dealership crazy $ for an uncoating package when I bought it pre-enjoyed with about 8000 miles in 2008. About 2012 the box floor started rusting from the inside and there was no fuss about getting warranty approval to replace it.

I was so happy, I bought a keg of Timmy's coffee and a fleet of donuts for the body shop staff. :cool:

They invited me in during the project and I was allowed to inspect my truck frame & cab without the box attached, that was informative and pretty cool.

The Toyota body shop estimated the cost at about $12K Canadian. :)

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, if you looked and the TUNDRA works for you, then drive it, maintain and enjoy it. I looked at a 1794 2022 Tundra, which is top of the line, but it was a 2022 with the new Twin Turbo V6, and I am not a fan of that setup. But others have said they R excellent, so best of luck there. The 1794 was 68K before ne thing, and they were gonna give me 35K for my paid off RAM, yup, U guessed it, RAM out front, LOL.

NOTE: Keep an eyeball on the right side (Pax) turbos. There have been a lot of reports down here of the PAX side Turbo going bad, some with only 300 miles. Apparently, there was a supply thing where a certain group of turbo's "allegedly" had an issue, just keep an eye on it, and ENJOY your new ride.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Remember all the frames Toyota had to replace on their trucks? My point being there's always problems with any vehicles. A new Ram would be much improved over an old Ram.

I don't want to sound like I'm poo pooing on your new truck. I'm sure it's as nice as a new Ram. I think there's four good truck builders right now so it's really a matter of taste.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Thank you all for the comments.

I'm waiting for THAT GUY to show up to bash on the Tundra but it didn't happen yet haha.

I've always been very impressed with how much respect there is on this forum, thoughtful replies, and very mature crowd. Thank you all. :)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for the comments.

I'm waiting for THAT GUY to show up to bash on the Tundra but it didn't happen yet haha.

I've always been very impressed with how much respect there is on this forum, thoughtful replies, and very mature crowd. Thank you all. :)
You could always stick around, enjoy the peeps and tell us about your Toyota Adventures.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
OP, if you looked and the TUNDRA works for you, then drive it, maintain and enjoy it. I looked at a 1794 2022 Tundra, which is top of the line, but it was a 2022 with the new Twin Turbo V6, and I am not a fan of that setup. But others have said they R excellent, so best of luck there. The 1794 was 68K before ne thing, and they were gonna give me 35K for my paid off RAM, yup, U guessed it, RAM out front, LOL.

NOTE: Keep an eyeball on the right side (Pax) turbos. There have been a lot of reports down here of the PAX side Turbo going bad, some with only 300 miles. Apparently, there was a supply thing where a certain group of turbo's "allegedly" had an issue, just keep an eye on it, and ENJOY your new ride.

Yes, as I saw on Tundra forums, apparently there were a few Tundra early on in production (early this year) that had an issue with the new turbo engine. However, nobody on forum (sticky post) reported this issue for the past half year so it makes me think that Toyota resolved it quickly.

Here's another thing that I noticed about Toyota, especially with the new 2022 - a few people posted about noises in the engine or transmission, and Toyota instantly replaces the entire engine or transmission without any pushback. No repairs, no partial lifters swap of bad lifters only, they change out the entire engine. Yes this may be only because 2022 is still very new, but still, Chrysler is usually very challenged to deal with.

I had doubts about the brand new Toyota V6 twin turbo engine but apparently they've been developing and testing it for a while, and even delayed it for one extra year to test it more.

They use this exact new turbo engine in the new Land Cruiser and Sequoia now - so they went all in with this new powertrain. I can't imagine that Toyota would make such a big bet, and go all in with this engine without being fully confident in it. I'm hope that if there will be any issues with it in the future, Toyota will stand behind it and make it right. (and Toyota dealer is 15 min away from me vs 45min away for ram dealer whom I dislike)

Now, something you guys will laugh your ass off... I'm getting same mpg with Tundra v6 turbo around the city that I was getting with my v8 hemi. Around 13mpg city... Truck is still very new with only 300 miles on it, but I'm not expecting mpg to improve drastically...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now, something you guys will laugh your ass off... I'm getting same mpg with Tundra v6 turbo around the city that I was getting with my v8 hemi. Around 13mpg city... Truck is still very new with only 300 miles on it, but I'm not expecting mpg to improve drastically...

As turkeybird56 mentioned, you could hang out here once in a while and report on your Tundra experiences. I'm confident that I'm not the only one interested to know how well this V6 turbo works out.

For what it's worth and hopefully, this new engine will loosen up in time and provide better fuel economy. I've noticed a huge improvement in coasting distance as my new Ram engine matures. :cool: It sucked completely when it was new.

PS; How is the highway fuel economy compared to the Ram truck?

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
As turkeybird56 mentioned, you could hang out here once in a while and report on your Tundra experiences. I'm confident that I'm not the only one interested to know how well this V6 turbo works out.

For what it's worth and hopefully, this new engine will loosen up in time and provide better fuel economy. I've noticed a huge improvement in coasting distance as my new Ram engine matures. :cool: It sucked completely when it was new.

PS; How is the highway fuel economy compared to the Ram truck?

Thank you!

I only had truck for 3 weeks now, so don't have much data regarding fuel economy...

I'd say city is about 13-15mpg and highway is about 15-17mpg (but I do like to drive 80-85mph on highway) so I'm a bad example.

What I read on forums, Tundra mpg was a big disappointment to many former v8 owners.

Real world should be around 15-17mpg city and 17-19mpg highway. Depending on how slow or fast you drive of course

Another funny point is that the new v6 Hybrid version doesn't improve fuel economy at all. It's there to provide additional power with the additional electric motor. Apparently it makes the truck much faster and responsive...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Yep... The Tundra mustage. Definitely not a fan. That's why I got 1749 which is all chrome front, so no mustage

You can always swap the grill or get the mustage plastic wrapped..

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...Have to admit the Toyota is one ugly truck, ranks with the Ridgeline.

Yeah, I don't know what it is with Toyota styling in the last 8 years or so. Some of the ugliest front-end treatments one can imagine! I know so many people who have avoided buying Toyotas because the fronts were butt-ugly.

However, having owned a couple older Toyota trucks (not Tundra's), and worked on them extensively, I DO believe ...and have seen with my own eyes that from a mechanical point of view, they are generally made to a higher standard. One of the reasons they sell for a premium. The frames in the past were stronger, had more cross members, axles larger, bolts harder, items yellow-cad plated (the more expensive but better process), little hidden design and construction details here and there ..just about everything was either a little higher standard of build, and in some items, a LOT higher standard of build. Which is one reason they tend to last longer especially when put under a lot more stress. The only downfall (and still is on Tacomas) was the interiors were crappier than the competition. But OTOH, less do-dads meant less to fail too.

That said, I've been impressed that Ram and Ford (and maybe GM, IDK), have improved their pickups a lot. And the Tundra interiors have gotten a lot better. Nowadays, they've all added a lot more of what I consider 'nonsense' tech that eventually gets old and becomes problematic and expensive ...and often a turn-off for used truck owners ...which is kind of sad that old technology that isn't often used, has to sour people on a particular brand of truck. Turbos? I don't think Twin Turbos will be that big of a deal. A lot of vehicles have had turbos for a long time which can go over 200k miles easy. But of course anything can fail prematurely. And all vehicles have some niggling weaknesses.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Tundra a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Congrats on the new ride! I agree you should hang around. I haven’t owned a Ram in over a year myself and bought an F150 earlier this year but this is a great forum and way more engaging than any of the other forums that I belong to.
I was very close to buying f150 Laramie. It's very large and comfortable inside. But I was a tiny bit hesitant to buy another domestic truck with a turbo v6, even though Ford is on its second generation of turbo v6 and should be just fine...

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very close to buying f150 Laramie. It's very large and comfortable inside. But I was a tiny bit hesitant to buy another domestic truck with a turbo v6, even though Ford is on its second generation of turbo v6 and should be just fine...
I got to admit I have the 3.5 Ecoboost and it’s a blast to drive! I do see where you’re coming from though because I traded the wife’s JGC for a 22 Camry back in January due to past experience with Toyota.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I myself wouldn't mind getting a T-100 that is sort of a 'back-to-basics' pickup ...just a good sound pickup, that does what you want with less 'stuff' to fail. And not mega-big. Trucks seem to get larger with every generation :emotions122:

One thing that used to be true for Toyota when I owned several toyotas (over many years), ...was parts availability was AMAZING. A DIY guy could get just about any part for any Toyota pickup (at least), especially hard parts ...even if it was a rather obscure part for an old truck. I even knew a guy who purchased and received an obscure replacement (weld-in) frame cross member for a 20 year old truck ...shipped over from Japan. Pretty much when it came to parts it was Toyota ...and everybody else. I stepped away from Toyota's 15 years ago so I don't know if they're still like that. (anybody know how they are for parts these days??)

John Deere is like that. You can seemingly get replacement hard parts for extremely old tractors, and even lawn & garden equipment. But in the old days, when it came to parts Toyota would always blow me away on availability. They weren't 100% but faaaar better than the domestics.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BTW, this post (sadly) outlines the cost for Ram ...of not addressing the Hemi-tick and manifold warping issues. Yes, it costs something ..potentially a lot, to address those issues, but the intangible cost of long-term reliability and service reputation and potential future sales goes way beyond engineering "cost vs benefits" numbers on a Power Point spreadsheet.

The Ram is basically a fantastic product with about a handful of reoccurring problems that cause a stain for many owners. Problems which couldn't be THAT difficult to resolve. Had those issues been batted down one by one years ago, it would be a bullet-proof product by now with little to bad-mouth about. But instead you have a former Ram owner buying a Toyota and many others who sympathize with his plight. He's just one of who knows how many (??) who've voted with their feet.

Because Toyota (and others) deal with 'most' issues they have created a great reputation and can charge a premium for their vehicles (greater profit margin).

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t look like fun when you look at all the TSB’s. Looks like a lot of time at adventure land in the service department.

Pulling the cab to work on it, terrible when new and that’s gonna cost alot of $$$ out of warranty. No thanks… been down that road with Ford 6.0, never again.

Personally I wouldn’t buy any new vehicle for a couple years until they get the supply chain figured out. They are scrounging for parts and parts that would have failed QA are being put on vehicles to get them out the door.

If anyone is looking for the new tundras, there are many on the north east lots for MSRP or below. Dealers are trying to sell the Pro at a markup, they aren’t moving. Can’t get a HD Ford or Ram though, they move quick even with a markup.

Attachments

• 30614582-E542-4423-9A92-B984799D4E2B.jpeg
    30614582-E542-4423-9A92-B984799D4E2B.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
BTW, this post (sadly) outlines the cost for Ram ...of not addressing the Hemi-tick and manifold warping issues. Yes, it costs something ..potentially a lot, to address those issues, but the intangible cost of long-term reliability and service reputation and potential future sales goes way beyond engineering "cost vs benefits" numbers on a Power Point spreadsheet.

The Ram is basically a fantastic product with about a handful of reoccurring problems that cause a stain for many owners. Problems which couldn't be THAT difficult to resolve. Had those issues been batted down one by one years ago, it would be a bullet-proof product by now with little to bad-mouth about. But instead you have a former Ram owner buying a Toyota and many others who sympathize with his plight. He's just one of who knows how many (??) who've voted with their feet.

Because Toyota (and others) deal with 'most' issues they have created a great reputation and can charge a premium for their vehicles (greater profit margin).
You hit the nail on the head here.

I still like Ram, I've been driving one for 9 years!

I wish I could keep my old ram truck for 10 more years - it was comfortable, had my ARE DCU commercial camper shell for my business and tools (commercial camper shell costs $6-7k now that I have to buy new again!), the truck was secure and did everything I needed it to do. My wife just bought a new suv which we were supposed to use for family trips, I only needed my old ram truck last for work and driving around short trips around the city... Nothing special.

But because it all just started falling apart at once, I wasn't about to start throwing money at it without end in sight. I was ready to do the lifters, but when transmission started acting up, and brake system pulsating, I knew that this wasn't a battle worth fighting.

I would have GLADLY bought another ram, but because of unresolved issues with lifters and manifold bolts, I couldn't do it.

I can't be in this same situation 10 years later, with 120k miles on the new ram, and having to get rid of it once again because my lifter sized up and is chewing through the cam.

I want to buy a new truck, pay it off in 5 years, and drive it for another 10 years without having to make payments. All I'm asking for is a reliable truck... I don't care if it has a mustage or if the grill looks ugly, these are minor secondary "wants" to me, which I'll get used to after a few days.

Crawgator59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck! If I had to buy a new truck right now, wouldn’t have a clue which one I would pick. 2017 Rebel with 101,000 miles. Air suspension went out twice and had it deleted the second time. Back up camera works when it wants to. Hopefully I won’t have to make that decision anytime soon.