FCA emissions recall 67A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxibrobro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked a friend about this and he told me since he lives in a Northern County of CA that is not a Smog County, that they won't hold his registration pending proof of recall being performed. He has a 2018 3500 DRW Laramie.

I checked CA website.
If you live in one of these counties, you need a smog inspection when you renew your vehicle registration.

Alameda
Butte
Colusa
Contra Costa
Fresno
Glenn
Kern
Kings
Los Angeles
Madera
Marin
Merced
Monterey
Napa
Nevada
Orange
Sacramento
San Benito
San Francisco
San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo
San Mateo
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara
Santa Cruz
Shasta
Solano
Stanislaus
Sutter
Tehama
Tulare
Ventura
Yolo
Yuba
Since being notified of this recall, has your friend had to renew his registration yet and firsthand experienced not needing proof of recall update? I am asking because I live in a nonsmog county in CA, but my registration is due in May of this year. Would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you sir!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Since being notified of this recall, has your friend had to renew his registration yet and firsthand experienced not needing proof of recall update? I am asking because I live in a nonsmog county in CA, but my registration is due in May of this year. Would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you sir!
I'll have to check with him. Since it's all pretty recent I doubt he has but based his answer off past experiences. I'll see when his is due.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm in a non-smog zip code in CA with two Ram trucks. So far they have not required any registration proof of compliance on any emissions recall.

nfd0800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Deisel
Does anyone have an information as to what FCA Emissions recall 67A is and what is involved? Even all my dealer can tell me is that its something with the PCM and would need at least a half day with it. Something doesn't seem right to me.

This received today. Don't know impact on fuel mileage, etc. Called dealership svc department and they said it just involved reprogramming (no hardware changes, etc)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 185828.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 185828.png
    133.8 KB · Views: 10

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This received today. Don't know impact on fuel mileage, etc. Called dealership svc department and they said it just involved reprogramming (no hardware changes, etc)
I got one too. The last time I received one was for my wife's ecodiesel. After the reflash of the PCM that thing was a dog. Turbo lag, already a problem on that truck, became worse and fuel mileage went down by 2 mpg. I'm playing "wait and see."

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I had an appointment for the re-programming to comply with 67A this morning (Jan-5-2024 @ 7:45 A.M.), but was greeted by several Service Advisors that they had just received a message from a Regional Service Advisor that the current software was prone to "brick" systems randomly, and that RAM Dealer says they will wait for programming updates, with the caveat promise that I can have it accomplished when I come in for my next oil change. (I always use the express lane)

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I had an appointment for the re-programming to comply with 67A this morning (Jan-5-2024 @ 7:45 A.M.), but was greeted by several Service Advisors that they had just received a message from a Regional Service Advisor that the current software was prone to "brick" systems randomly, and that RAM Dealer says they will wait for programming updates, with the caveat promise that I can have it accomplished when I come in for my next oil change. (I always use the express lane)
Odd as I have read of trucks in CA that had it done already without any problems....

Bighorn18

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L turbo
Got the 67A recall letter couple days ago. Here's my concern. Cummins 1.6 billion fine alleges Cummins installed "types of devices to cheat federal environmental laws". Defeat devices are designed to "bypass, defeat, or render inoperative emissions controls such as emission sensors and onboard computers. So what does the 67A emission recall have to do with the alleged types of installation of defeat devices? It may just be the timing of the 67A emissions "PCM" update that people are thinking it's related to the Cummins 1.6 billion fine. If not, then the next question is what is coming later as far as mandates to removing said defeat devices? I saw on YouTube video of the guy that test drove and pulling his tractor on trailer after he had the 67A emissions recall done which only updated the PCM software and he had no change in truck performance of any kind. California residence must comply or will not be able to re-register their trucks. It's the only state so far I am aware of that has implemented such mandate. I suspect in order keep any vehicle warrantee good, one must comply with the 67A recall for emission update in order to show proper maintenance. My warrantee is over anyways so right now I'm on the fence about doing it, especially if there seems to be no change or effect on performance, until I hear more on how it affects others and what other mandates and or recalls may be coming. Besides, DEQ testing for registration in my town is exempt for all Heavy Duty Diesel trucks or GVWR > 8,500, so there is really no need for me to comply with the 67A emissions recall.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Got the 67A recall letter couple days ago. Here's my concern. Cummins 1.6 billion fine alleges Cummins installed "types of devices to cheat federal environmental laws". Defeat devices are designed to "bypass, defeat, or render inoperative emissions controls such as emission sensors and onboard computers. So what does the 67A emission recall have to do with the alleged types of installation of defeat devices? It may just be the timing of the 67A emissions "PCM" update that people are thinking it's related to the Cummins 1.6 billion fine. If not, then the next question is what is coming later as far as mandates to removing said defeat devices? I saw on YouTube video of the guy that test drove and pulling his tractor on trailer after he had the 67A emissions recall done which only updated the PCM software and he had no change in truck performance of any kind. California residence must comply or will not be able to re-register their trucks. It's the only state so far I am aware of that has implemented such mandate. I suspect in order keep any vehicle warrantee good, one must comply with the 67A recall for emission update in order to show proper maintenance. My warrantee is over anyways so right now I'm on the fence about doing it, especially if there seems to be no change or effect on performance, until I hear more on how it affects others and what other mandates and or recalls may be coming. Besides, DEQ testing for registration in my town is exempt for all Heavy Duty Diesel trucks or GVWR > 8,500, so there is really no need for me to comply with the 67A emissions recall.

Why do so many people take it as gospel almost every word spoken on YouTube, Cummins has stated many times now that they did not install any emission defeat devices, from what I read this recall has already caused cold engine driving problem's aka engine stumble when cold, is it all due to the recall update computer software, at this time who knows, more info is needed from more owners after having it performed...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm wondering why both Cummins and the EPA are so closed mouth about the actual issue with the "emissions". First reported as a "defeat device" but the fix is a software reflash. I'm starting to think, call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, that there isn't a real issue but nothing more than money laundering. Follow the money, where in our government is the money going, how many times is it divided up, which departments are getting the funds and what will they do with the money.

Something is going on here, whether it is legitimate or not is the question.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm wondering why both Cummins and the EPA are so closed mouth about the actual issue with the "emissions".
I've read it's because some court has to approve the settlement before the detailed docs can be made public. Suppose to happen in a month or so.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
We are from the government and we are here to help you. Anyone still falling for that line has not been paying attention. If no one will or can explain exactly what the update does, there is no way I would have it done.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
We are from the government and we are here to help you. Anyone still falling for that line has not been paying attention. If no one will or can explain exactly what the update does, there is no way I would have it done.
This!

They're not touching my truck and wouldn't touch it even if I had a warranty. I would have to see a print out explaining everything that is being changed and an explanation of what specifically the change will accomplish.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This!

They're not touching my truck and wouldn't touch it even if I had a warranty. I would have to see a print out explaining everything that is being changed and an explanation of what specifically the change will accomplish.
They have already mentioned some or all of it is about Nox emissions, as I understood it more or less the state of CA was not happy to find out that a cold diesel engine an at start up will put out more Nox then a warm/hot engine, the best I can put together based on limited info, the state of CA & EPA (claims) they did not know about and or don't get the paperwork about Nox emissions, so CA ( who we know dislikes all ICE) along with EPA started the war against Cummins and I would not be at surprised if they also did a deep dive on other diesel manufactures emissions...

Bighorn18

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L turbo
Why do so many people take it as gospel almost every word spoken on YouTube, Cummins has stated many times now that they did not install any emission defeat devices, from what I read this recall has already caused cold engine driving problem's aka engine stumble when cold, is it all due to the recall update computer software, at this time who knows, more info is needed from more owners after having it performed...
I agree! However in a statement, Cummins said it did not "admit" any wrongdoing and that it had no evidence its employees acted in bad faith. So then why agree to settle with California's Air Resources Board? I can't imagine it would cost them anything near the 1.6 billion penalty paid to settle rather than fight the allegations. Secondly, how in the world would so many employees it would take to achieve installing defeat devices (what ever that may be) in 100's of thousands 2500 and 3500 trucks over 5 years (2013-2018) without corporate acknowledgement?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I agree! However in a statement, Cummins said it did not "admit" any wrongdoing and that it had no evidence its employees acted in bad faith. So then why agree to settle with California's Air Resources Board? I can't imagine it would cost them anything near the 1.6 billion penalty paid to settle rather than fight the allegations. Secondly, how in the world would so many employees it would take to achieve installing defeat devices (what ever that may be) in 100's of thousands 2500 and 3500 trucks over 5 years (2013-2018) without corporate acknowledgement?

I think part of it is about $$$$$, yes they could fight it for many, many years in court and they could most likely win, but all of those attorneys & paperwork, fees cost one heck of a lot of $$$, I think the bean counters would say we think its cheaper to pay the fine an move on, also if they fight in court they may pay the price of the state of CA, the EPA along with all of the we hate ICE greenies, crack pots posting BS & telling lies about diesel engines along with lots of other bad press coverage about Cummins their engines etc, etc, etc, thus the board most likely said its best to work out an agreement, one that said Cummins did nothing wrong. I also wonder if this BS is why Cummins is breaking off and renaming some of its brands/products? BTW this is just my WAG.....