FCA & ****'s Dodge - no accountability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In July 2020 had passenger bank lifters replaced by ***** Dodge in Hillsboro, Or. I live in AZ and my service manager told me parts/labor had 2 year warranty. They also informed me I could have any ASE certified shop perform warranty work.

Now 2021 the passenger side lifters failed along w cam shaft and drivers lifters. I called the original dealership who once again confirmed I could go to any ASE certified shop. Dealers here were quoting 2 weeks to get to the truck, that was not doable as my truck is a work truck.

Now that the work has been completed FCA is denying my claim because they are stating the parts do not have ANY warranty, along w the truck being outside of manufacturer warranty. Along w the fact I did not go to a dealer which would have cost 2x as much to get the same parts replaced.

What are next steps for this?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Do you have any of the warranty stuff in writing from the dealer that did the repair? I don't know of any manufacturer that pays for warranty work performed by third parties unless the manufacturer approves it in advance or it is a sub-let by a dealer performing an in-warranty repair.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I provided the Service manager's name to them that told me to have the shop performing the repairs contact if they had any questions

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately without anything in writing you may be screwed. I've never heard of a dealer saying it was okay to go outside for warranty work so that alone is suspicious.

Same here. I never heard of that and I highly doubt that service manager would send a customer elsewhere for "warranty" work.
That's terrible.
Something's screwy here.
Good luck OP. I hope it all works out for you.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I know I had just three months left on manufacture warranty when I needed a new engine. Yes they replaced it under warranty BUT……was told very clearly that the new lump was only covered for the remainder of warranty, not the 12 months it would have been if I had paid for it??????
I questioned this with RAM and was told that the dealership service department was quite correct.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know I had just three months left on manufacture warranty when I needed a new engine. Yes they replaced it under warranty BUT……was told very clearly that the new lump was only covered for the remainder of warranty, not the 12 months it would have been if I had paid for it??????
I questioned this with RAM and was told that the dealership service department was quite correct.
That sure doesn't seem right, but is not surprising. I think battery warranties are done the same way.

So much for standing behind your product.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
yes thats true with any mfr. i had a new motor under put in my pwc and they did not reset the warranty for the motor.

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unfortunately without anything in writing you may be screwed. I've never heard of a dealer saying it was okay to go outside for warranty work so that alone is suspicious.

Ya I questioned it when it was said. That's what happens I guess when I got the work done in Oregon and live in Arizona

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It might be worthwhile to talk to an attorney that specializes in auto warranty cases, but without anything in writing, I think you may have an uphill battle. I imagine that FCA has a whole room full of attorneys that deal with nothing else but unhappy customers. Good luck!
Jay

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In July 2020 had passenger bank lifters replaced by ***** Dodge in Hillsboro, Or. I live in AZ and my service manager told me parts/labor had 2 year warranty. They also informed me I could have any ASE certified shop perform warranty work.

Now 2021 the passenger side lifters failed along w cam shaft and drivers lifters. I called the original dealership who once again confirmed I could go to any ASE certified shop. Dealers here were quoting 2 weeks to get to the truck, that was not doable as my truck is a work truck.

Now that the work has been completed FCA is denying my claim because they are stating the parts do not have ANY warranty, along w the truck being outside of manufacturer warranty. Along w the fact I did not go to a dealer which would have cost 2x as much to get the same parts replaced.

What are next steps for this?

Were the original repairs done under the FCA warranty (or an extended FCA warranty), or an aftermarket warranty, or customer-pay?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Do some Google-Fu on the Magnuson Moss Warranty act.

There are probably better sources, but this has some good info.
That article isn't really a very good guide to Magnuson-Moss IMHO. It seems to confuse routine maintenance with warranty repairs. The article is correct that one can have routine maintenance done by third parties and not affect the warranty. The owner will need to keep records showing maintenance materials meet the manufactures specifications.

The implication that one can have say the transmission repaired under warranty by a third party and the manufacturer will pay for it not entirely true. The act gives manufacturers the choice to make warranty repairs themselves or designate authorized third party warranty repair facilities. Most vehicle warranties require that the manufacturer approve third party warranty repairs at non-manufacturer facilities in advance which is perfectly legal. In either case the act does not allow consumers to simply select any random repair place for warranty repairs and send the manufacturer the bill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Were the original repairs done under the FCA warranty (or an extended FCA warranty), or an aftermarket warranty, or customer-pay?

The original repairs [lifters] were done customer pay by me, truck has been out of warranty for a while. I was told the Mopar parts came with a 2 year warranty. A year later I'm having to get the same parts replaced because they failed

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The original repairs [lifters] were done customer pay by me, truck has been out of warranty for a while. I was told the Mopar parts came with a 2 year warranty. A year later I'm having to get the same parts replaced because they failed

Oh, you are talking about warranty on parts you purchased, not repair done under the truck warranty. Gotcha.

PaulK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shows how much confidence they have in there own design. Are the newer versions of this engine any more reliable? I replaced mine at 129k. The dealer didn't even ask if I wanted to pay the $12k for a new engine from RAM. I went for a rebuild. It's funny how I only leaned about the lifter problem once I experienced it and asked questions. You should see the look on other owners faces when they hear about the time bomb under their hood.