Fence panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F5Chaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone hauled complete 6x8 wooden fence panels flat on the bed of a bone stock Hemi 2wd crew cab? I need to replace a section of fence and need about 7 panels and don't really want to rent a trailer. Total weight, per stated figures of each panel is well within payload capacity. It's under 1000 lbs total. Distance traveling is 5ish miles on city streets(45mph) max. Thanks!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Support the panels at an angle and step them down. You'll be fine.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
6 ft wide won't fit flat, it is just over 4ft between the wheel wells.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put in on an angle, and secure properly, lean to right, stay in right lane U be fine. If bed not treated, side against bed put a cover or something on it. If U talking just laying on the side rails, U best really secure em, so none get caught and turn into a flying missile, all IMHO...

OP
OP
F

F5Chaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. Just brainstorming out loud and thought the bed rails and make a couple trips would work, but why work harder than necessary. Trailer it is.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Borrow a trailer from someone.
^^^^^^^^^^THIS!! ^^^^^^^^^^

I did lean them on my '84 Ram for a 3 mi.
trip. I hit a pot hole and the weight caused the side wall of the bed to tear away from the truck! Granted, I had a few more than you and mine were 4x8x5/8 stockade fence but, where is the line? I didn't know. HomoDepo rents trailers for 20 bucks. Do that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It is NEVER a good idea to put panels laying on top of the bed rails. It is REALLY hard to secure them properly in that orientation, because they want to slide off.

Angling them in the truck bed is the best way to put them in the truck, plain and simple. If you have enough you can band them together, stand them upright, and strap that down, but it's a lot more work.

I have to admit, though, that now that I have a trailer, I find I use it for a lot of things I used to force into the truck, even if it wasn't the best idea. A trailer just makes things go so much more smoothly, and it's much lower to the ground too, so I don't have to lift things as high.