Fender Flare suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kendall Hunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just picked up a 2008 Ram Laramie edition. This truck is nice aside from the onset of rust starting to bubble on the rear wheel well's.
My thought is to put on flares but since the truck is black i am considering a painted color matched set. What are some suggestions on a good brand that will not look to overwhelming on this truck?
Thanks in advance.

g17jimmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Tyger rivet style flares on my '07.

I bought a 2007 Laramie Mega Cab from a friend that had extensive rust over the rear wheel wells and a 2"x2" rusted hole in the front right fender. I decided to replace the bed instead of just bolting on the flares. I picked up a bed and tailgate from a local salvage yard for about $700 and paid a shop to paint it to match. Left the flares bare, no paint. Didn't replace the front fender, just bolted the flare over the hole. The Hemi badges had to be removed to allow the flares to fit on front.

Pic of the truck-
https://imgur.com/4Vwa8K5
4Vwa8K5

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this problem too on the driver side rear wheel well. Ended up buying a patch panel and cutting the rust out then welding in the patch. When I cut it open about a pound of salt, cinders and road grime poured out. Just keep in mind all kinds of crap collects in there and the rust is going to keep spreading until it is cut out.

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500
IMHO, don't just throw flares on to cover the rust. It will just keep spreading.
Get the rust sanded and treated first, with some good primer, rust protect.

As for the type of flares, that depends on the look you want. Just comparing what you like best.

Congrats on your new 08 Laramie. Is it the 1500 or 2500?

Wreck0ning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Depending on how bad the rust is I would cut out and patch/ sand down and treat with POR15 before you do anything. The flares will cover it for a while, but they trap water which speeds up the process. As for flares I have a set of bushwhacker rivets and they look pretty good. I wouldnt worry too much about paint matching them, unless it's a must have for you.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another thing that might help is putting on wheel well liners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500