Finally decided on an Oil for doing my own oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carterdcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The research I did indicated that Mobil 1 did not go to the trouble/$ to get certified by FCA. There may be politics involved also.

Mobil 1 web site recommends their oil for FCA vehicles but does not indicate the MS-6395.

So after warranty use what you like.
I tried mobil 1. Before I got 3000 miles my computer said wrong oil. So 2018 and up. Will let you know. I put Pennzoil ow40. It does fine.

OP
OP
Davidloveshishemi

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Soooooooooooo, there is no way your computer said wrong oil. I cant believe there is a Pennzoil sensing device on our trucks. That one was kinda out there.

Octane

Reaction score
Soooooooooooo, there is no way your computer said wrong oil. I cant believe there is a Pennzoil sensing device on our trucks. That one was kinda out there.
I use Havoline,and when those little deposit shields they say the oil has,when they get beat up too bad in the engine the oil change message comes on indicating the need for more deposit shields. Lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people have said they got an incorrect oil viscosity warning, not nothing about incorrect brand [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Octane

Reaction score
Some people have said they got an incorrect oil viscosity warning, not nothing about incorrect brand [emoji3]
What does it do? Flash a code 5w20 or something? Lol
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
whatever the dealer puts in and I sleep perfect. Too many Important things going on to worry about **** howdy oil. Kids go to bed without any food to eat—Think about that then worry about 5-30 or 0-40. JMO

Thank you.
whatever the dealer puts in and I sleep perfect. Too many Important things going on to worry about **** howdy oil. Kids go to bed without any food to eat—Think about that then worry about 5-30 or 0-40. JMO

Lucy Girl says thank you!!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

P1521-INCORRECT ENGINE OIL TYPE

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored:

- With the engine running

Set Conditions:

- The engine oil pressure never reaches the calibrated specification to allow the VCT activation.

Default Actions:

- MIL is illuminated on the second consecutive trip that the diagnostic fails.

- The MIL will be turned off on the third consecutive trip that the diagnostic passes.

The following conditions must be checked.

- OEM recommended oil viscosity is being used.

- Customer is following the oil change schedule.

- Check the engine oil for contamination. (i.e., fuel and/or engine coolant)

- Internal engine condition that may effect oil pressure.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
My ( so far excellent) mechanic recommended NAPA 15w-40453f66afe75d86812d0279758e2809bc.jpg
diesel oil for my 320.7k mile 1997 1500 5.9L Magnum engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk