Finally decided on an Oil for doing my own oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm old school so it is always between 3,000-5,000 miles without fail.

Lol, I'm pretty old school myself. With conventional oil I stick to 3000 mile oci. 1 mile over that and I have nightmares of my father yelling at me to change your oil. With a synthetic oil, I can't bring myself to go over 6000 miles.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm old school so it is always between 3,000-5,000 miles without fail.
Lol, I'm pretty old school myself. With conventional oil I stick to 3000 mile oci. 1 mile over that and I have nightmares of my father yelling at me to change your oil. With a synthetic oil, I can't bring myself to go over 6000 miles.
Main thing to think about is not so much the oil, but the filter. Most standard filters are designed to go into bypass after 3-4k miles. Higher end filters like RP, Mobile1 and Fram Ultra will filter 10k plus depending on how that brand has it set up. If you are running synthetic oil and standard filters then you should stick with the 3-4k interval anyway. If you want to go longer, you have to get the better filters...............

FYI - not saying you two don't, just used your posts to make the point [emoji869]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Main thing to think about is not so much the oil, but the filter. Most standard filters are designed to go into bypass after 3-4k miles. Higher end filters like RP, Mobile1 and Fram Ultra will filter 10k plus depending on how that brand has it set up. If you are running synthetic oil and standard filters then you should stick with the 3-4k interval anyway. If you want to go longer, you have to get the better filters...............

FYI - not saying you two don't, just used your posts to make the point [emoji869]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Been using the fram ultra, easily found at walmart.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But the hemi doesn't have a turbo.

I find it very hard to believe that a cheap conventional group 2 oil does anything better than full synthetic group 4 oil. Did farm projects provide some oil analysis to back up their findings ?
Yes from BlackLabs (same one everyone here uses). Amazon oil is full synthetic. Being rated for turbos just means it will hold better under pressure and heat

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm? In my '97 gasser that is now over 300k miles, I never used anything but plain old Fram filters and whatever dino oil was cheapest. Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, doesn't matter. I believe what really does matter is keeping whatever oil you do use clean as per service recommendations.
Exactly
what oil change interval did you use ?
I use 9-10K on my 2nd gens I use 14K

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last oil change I switched to the Purolator BOSS Filter Part No. PBL12222. My local Advance auto parts store keeps them in stock.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the hemi doesn't have a turbo.

I find it very hard to believe that a cheap conventional group 2 oil does anything better than full synthetic group 4 oil. Did farm projects provide some oil analysis to back up their findings ?

That is actually not what Project Farm found. Amsoil was the best oil. Redline was a close second. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was also a close 3rd beating all your other traditional big brand oils. The rest didn't seem to be super close. Mobil 1 didn't do well. If I remember right the test involved cold flow, high heat, the ball wear test, and new/used analysis.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I managed a fleet of vehicles at a company for 12 years. We did our own oil changes and ran nothing but Mobil1. I had one oil change done at the dealership, wont ever do that again, and about to come up on my next oil change. The dealership and manual push Pennzoil, but in the 12 years we used Mobil1 in vehicles that were in excess of 200,000 miles we NEVER, EVER HAD AN ISSUE. I am convinced this Pennzoil thing is marketing and a better cost savings for the dealership. I am going to go with what I know is proven and works. I will continue using the Mopar 339 oil filter but as far as oil goes, Its Mobil1 Full Synthetic.

I only mention this because I know alot of people are new to Dodge and new to Hemi's and have alot of the same questions I have had.

I asked one of the parts guys at the dealership why they use pennzoil synthetic blend, his response was, its more economical for us, meaning its cheaper. That leads me to believe Pennzoil gives them a much better deal than say a Mobi1 would, so thats who they went with.

That is my two cents and what I have decided. I hope my decision helps someone who is on the fence about what to use. I know someone is going to say its not ms-6395 certified. Neither are a thousand other oils that a thousand other people use and never have issues. I noticed today while watching a ton of Hemi oil changes on youtube that almost everyone used Mobil1. Talking brand new trucks, old truck, all Hemi's, all mobil1, nobody was afraid of warranty issues. They use what they believe in.

Again, my two cents, I would be interested in what others new to or that have had Hemi's for years think and decide.

Keep in mind that the Mobil1 oil typically has very little to no ZDDP. (Zinc Phosphate). I have a customer that bought a new 2006 Wrangler with the venerable 4.0L inline 6 that has graced so many vehicles of yesteryear. From the very first oil change, he did his own using Mobil1. At 60 thousand miles, the engine had a flat camshaft lobe. This was due to very low zinc present in the oil. Although the newer vehicles sport roller lifters, there is still high scuff friction on the piston skirts. You might consider researching this and maybe adding zinc with your oil changes. The caveate is that zinc shortens the life of the catalytic converters by a small margin. I've added zinc to my 4.7L Toyota since it was 100,000 miles. At 220K miles the converters had to be replaced. I'll take the trade off. Converters are way cheaper than an engine!

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use Mobil 1 but I don’t have a hemi or even a Dodge/Ram gasser. Fram Ultra filters on gassers also. 148k miles and zero problems. By it at Walmart.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I don't drive that much so I only change my oil once a year. I just changed it with Shell Rotella Gas truck full synthetave a long time to ponder what to use next.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I say just use a major brand. Personally I don't use synthetic due to the price. I have never had a repair based on the type of oil I used. In fact I have owned over 30 vehicles and never had any repair based on oil supply or brand. I also say unless you are a petroleum engineer and have lab testing qualifications you should not be putting one oil over another oil. That's my 2 cent opinion.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder why Mobil 1 doesn't meet the required Chrysler MS 6395 spec

The research I did indicated that Mobil 1 did not go to the trouble/$ to get certified by FCA. There may be politics involved also.

Mobil 1 web site recommends their oil for FCA vehicles but does not indicate the MS-6395.

So after warranty use what you like.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I managed a fleet of vehicles at a company for 12 years. We did our own oil changes and ran nothing but Mobil1. I had one oil change done at the dealership, wont ever do that again, and about to come up on my next oil change. The dealership and manual push Pennzoil, but in the 12 years we used Mobil1 in vehicles that were in excess of 200,000 miles we NEVER, EVER HAD AN ISSUE. I am convinced this Pennzoil thing is marketing and a better cost savings for the dealership. I am going to go with what I know is proven and works. I will continue using the Mopar 339 oil filter but as far as oil goes, Its Mobil1 Full Synthetic.

I only mention this because I know alot of people are new to Dodge and new to Hemi's and have alot of the same questions I have had.

I asked one of the parts guys at the dealership why they use pennzoil synthetic blend, his response was, its more economical for us, meaning its cheaper. That leads me to believe Pennzoil gives them a much better deal than say a Mobi1 would, so thats who they went with.

That is my two cents and what I have decided. I hope my decision helps someone who is on the fence about what to use. I know someone is going to say its not ms-6395 certified. Neither are a thousand other oils that a thousand other people use and never have issues. I noticed today while watching a ton of Hemi oil changes on youtube that almost everyone used Mobil1. Talking brand new trucks, old truck, all Hemi's, all mobil1, nobody was afraid of warranty issues. They use what they believe in.

Again, my two cents, I would be interested in what others new to or that have had Hemi's for years think and decide.
Oil is oil as long as it's the recommend viscosity and meets API standards. I drove Ram 1500 Hemi trucks at the company I worked at from 2009 when they switched from Ford to Ram. Put well over 100 k on five trucks before I retired with zero issues and they were Hemi's. Oil was changed at different quick oil changes and Dodge dealers depending on were the truck was when oil change time came. I have a new 2019 Ram 1500 personal Truck now and have free oil changes for Two years at the dealer and have and will continue using them. So if you feel better doing your on oil change with an oil you think is better then fine. I'll tell you though it's a waste of your time and money.

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
When I went to work for the Chrysler dealership in '61, I learned real quick to never get into a "discussion" with customers about oil brand. It always started with the customer smiling and asking "What oil do you like?"
Have a great day !

muggles

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't matter how many of these oil threads I read I walk away unsure of which way to go. 3K miles and gotta make my mind up soon but want to thank all who provide their insight.

Pweld19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regarding oil changes, we have a different question.

We bought an oil change package from the dealer. We were told that it is for 4 oil changes. It was bought in 2019. When we bought the package we were not told of an expiration on the changes

Now, we recently were sent an email stating that the oil package we bought was good until Jan next year.

We thought that it was good as long as we met the mileage standards for a change. And, we have yet to do that since we have a different vehicle for running around in.

Has anyone else had this problem?

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn't matter how many of these oil threads I read I walk away unsure of which way to go. 3K miles and gotta make my mind up soon but want to thank all who provide their insight.

I agree with this! The best conclusion I've come to is use PUP. If you don't have significant engine noise stick with it. If you do, go to redline. Use Amsoil or RP filters. If it pops with either of those scenarios above, it was very likely not going to last regardless of what you do. Mine is silky smooth and quiet with PUP and an Amsoil filter right now.

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
Walmart Supertech synthetic in all my vehicle's with no engine trouble's ever. Walmart Dino 20-50 in the Harley with 107,000 miles and compression is still good. Most oils are good if you follow a maintenance schedule.