Finally found something I don’t like about new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Foulks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have gotten a couple of survey’s regarding my 2019 Ram Limited. They seem to be looking for problems or complaints and I really like everything. OK the mileage isn’t great. If you look at the picture below you can see my complaint. We normally get 15 to 30 feet of snow each year where I live. So far this winter we have had 11 feet of snow with just under 4 feet on the ground. We are expecting another 2 feet or so this week. The contour of the truck seems to be such a lot of the snow sticks to the side. I usually wait until we get a cold dry spell before I wash it, so at least it will good for a few days. I washed it last a week ago.

snow covered truck.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are those wheels aftermarket? Kinda hard to tell from that angle but is the offset the same as stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Steve Foulks

Steve Foulks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are those wheels aftermarket? Kinda hard to tell from that angle but is the offset the same as stock?

They are my winter tires and rims which I bought from Tire Rack. They are 18" Blizzak tires which work better in snow country. I have my stock 20" tires/rims stored in my pole building.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are my winter tires and rims which I bought from Tire Rack. They are 18" Blizzak tires which work better in snow country. I have my stock 20" tires/rims stores in my pole building.

But they’re the same offset as your stock 20’s, correct? I was just wondering if maybe those wheels stuck out a little further from the wheel wells. But I see you don’t have splash guards. Those will help tremendously. Any truck will turn into a snowball like that, you drive in that much snow and slush for that long.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
But they’re the same offset as your stock 20’s, correct? I was just wondering if maybe those wheels stuck out a little further from the wheel wells. But I see you don’t have splash guards. Those will help tremendously. Any truck will turn into a snowball like that, you drive in that much snow and slush for that long.

It looks like he does have mud flaps installed.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like he does have mud flaps installed.

On the back it’s obvious but I can’t tell on the front, there’s a lot of ice buildup. But whether he has them on the front or not, if you’re driving in powdery snow, that ****’s gonna accumulate on the sides no matter what you do. Then mix it with slush, then snow again, it’s gonna build up.

Ram19 Owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
But whether he has them on the front or not, if you’re driving in powdery snow, that ****’s gonna accumulate on the sides no matter what you do. Then mix it with slush, then snow again, it’s gonna build up.

I learned that really quick this winter. First winter with a full size (I love my ram) truck and had all kinds of buildup on the rails and lower half. I’ll be ordering mud flaps soon for next years.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Living in Iowa, I never leave a dealership without mudflaps installed. Between snow storms and gravel roads it just make sense...
And my truck looks just like that in the snow...

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have found that any snow tire flips up more water compared to a regular tire. I put snow tires on my stock runs and notice a big difference.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is the same offset and I do have mud flaps. It is a little worse that my previous truck a 2014 Chevy High Country, but it really doesn't bother me.

Another thing I see is that you don’t have running boards either- or well, maybe you do, being that that’s a 19 Limited, you probably have those power fold-out boards, don’t you? Whether you do or not, having a set of fixed running boards will help keep a lot of that off the sides of your truck, too.

I have an 18 Limited, so those fancy retractable boards weren’t an option but when it came time to replace the cab length painted boards that came on my truck new, I thought about those powered boards but for one was cost, and second, I like the gravel protection and mud deflection from a fixed board which is why I replaced those with a another set that was fixed, but wheel to wheel. And these stick out a little further too. So far I haven’t had the pleasure of driving my truck in that much snow, ice and slush but the one day we did get a snowstorm, they kept a lot of it off the sides.
5753d482a589a2f417971da4197d898b.jpg

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is the same offset and I do have mud flaps. It is a little worse that my previous truck a 2014 Chevy High Country, but it really doesn't bother me.

I asked my daughter once what colour truck to buy and she said black. It’s cool when it’s clean and sparkling and it’s cool when it’s dirty. Most colors are not cool when dirty. So she says. So I guess you can’t loose with the cool factor! You’ve got black. I’m not cool today because my red truck is dirty. Needs a good wash.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another thing I see is that you don’t have running boards either- or well, maybe you do, being that that’s a 19 Limited, you probably have those power fold-out boards, don’t you? Whether you do or not, having a set of fixed running boards will help keep a lot of that off the sides of your truck, too.

I have an 18 Limited, so those fancy retractable boards weren’t an option but when it came time to replace the cab length painted boards that came on my truck new, I thought about those powered boards but for one was cost, and second, I like the gravel protection and mud deflection from a fixed board which is why I replaced those with a another set that was fixed, but wheel to wheel. And these stick out a little further too. So far I haven’t had the pleasure of driving my truck in that much snow, ice and slush but the one day we did get a snowstorm, they kept a lot of it off the sides.

You're right about fixed running boards, my 2017 had them and that truck didn't get dirty as fast as my 2019. I also install mud flaps and not much difference

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen these before. Uglier’n hell but they’re quite effective. Seen them on oil field trucks that were out sloppin’ in the mud all day. They should work on both the front and the back.
a95f74fc7c9b24594aebfd210cbb8589.jpg

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are ugly, but no doubt effective. no thanks. I don't mind cleaning

OP
OP
Steve Foulks

Steve Foulks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I had not thought about the retractable running boards being part of the problem, but I am sure that is a big factor.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had not thought about the retractable running boards being part of the problem, but I am sure that is a big factor.

I wouldn’t necessarily go as far as to say that they’re part of the problem, it’s just that that’s the nature of the beast of having those style of running boards unless you’re just not interested in having rocker protection.

Don’t those have a manual override that keeps them retracted? I thought I read somewhere that they do, the ones that come preinstalled on those trucks. If not, I wonder how hard it would be to wire it that way. I bet those boards are a ***** to clean if the only time they retract is when a door opens. Unless of course if they’re actually set up to retract both boards irregardless of which door is open.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn’t necessarily go as far as to say that they’re part of the problem, it’s just that that’s the nature of the beast of having those style of running boards unless you’re just not interested in having rocker protection.

Don’t those have a manual override that keeps them retracted? I thought I read somewhere that they do, the ones that come preinstalled on those trucks. If not, I wonder how hard it would be to wire it that way. I bet those boards are a ***** to clean if the only time they retract is when a door opens. Unless of course if they’re actually set up to retract both boards irregardless of which door is open.

Yes I can store mine in the retracted or extended mode from the evic. I've taught about doing it but find them too convenient operating.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I can store mine in the retracted or extracted mode from the evic. I've taught about doing it but find them too convenient operating.

Just wondering how those boards do in colder and snowier climates. Have either of you had any operational issues with yours due to extreme cold or snow/ice buildup?