Finally got my 2018 last Thursday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
After waiting 12 weeks for the order, the new SLT 6.4L Hemi 3500 beast is finally in the driveway! Getting a Torklift superhitch, camper tie downs, and Carr super hoop steps installed tomorrow.

truck2.jpg

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice looking truck. Beast!
Congrats.

OP
OP
kirkcad

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks! Me and the wife are loving the truck so far. Already have over 700 miles on it. True test of it happens in 2 weeks when it will be doing its first horse camping trip. Northern Lite 10'2" camper(2360 lbs dry weight), pulling a Trails West 3 horse trailer(7-8k fully loaded), and hauling over a steep Cascade mountains pass here in Oregon.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Congrats on the upgrade!

What pass you heading over?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Congratulations on that beast of a truck, looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you come back.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That thing is LONG. Oh.. wait.. can I say that?

Congrats!

OP
OP
kirkcad

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Congrats on the upgrade!

What pass you heading over?

From west of Salem and then up over the Santiam Pass and then up to the Madras area and a horse camp.

Should be a good first test for the truck. :)

Our old 2001 V10 Dodge 2500 used to handle that sort of stuff with no trouble, so we don't anticipate any problems with this beast.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, I towed 9K over that pass in 2016 with no problem using the 6.4L powered Bighorn CC I had.

OP
OP
kirkcad

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah, I towed 9K over that pass in 2016 with no problem using the 6.4L powered Bighorn CC I had.

Good to read! With camper and 3 horse trailer, the new truck will be hauling around 11k over that pass.

OP
OP
kirkcad

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Latest upgrades made to it this last Friday. Steps, torklift camper tiedowns and superhitch.

And yea, it's got too much dorky dealership crap on it. Will be putting some nice weathertech or husky mudflaps on it in the coming weeks.

dodge steps.jpg super hitch.jpg

OP
OP
kirkcad

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
New truck finally doing some serious work. Wife took off for the mountains today to do some horse camping with her horse buddies. She called tonight and said the truck did wonderfully. Pulled beautifully over the Santiam Pass here in Oregon. Wish I could have gone with her, but work is too busy.

Picture isn't great due to the shadows and unevenness of the ground at the barn. Almost looks like a 2wd, but its a 4x4...not near as close to the ground as it looks.dodge ready for camping.jpg

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New truck finally doing some serious work. Wife took off for the mountains today to do some horse camping with her horse buddies. She called tonight and said the truck did wonderfully. Pulled beautifully over the Santiam Pass here in Oregon. Wish I could have gone with her, but work is too busy.

Picture isn't great due to the shadows and unevenness of the ground at the barn. Almost looks like a 2wd, but its a 4x4...not near as close to the ground as it looks.View attachment 134612
The fact that your wife is willing and able to drive that long SOB with a camper on it and pulling a horse trailer is awesome. Hell I can't get my wife to drive my truck at all and its a hell of a lot shorter than yours(not that I really trust her anyway) Looks like fun and enjoy your ride!

OP
OP
kirkcad

kirkcad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The fact that your wife is willing and able to drive that long SOB with a camper on it and pulling a horse trailer is awesome. Hell I can't get my wife to drive my truck at all and its a hell of a lot shorter than yours(not that I really trust her anyway) Looks like fun and enjoy your ride!

Thanks!

My wife grew up on a farm, and has always been in love with horses. (I just view them as big, expensive pets...lol) We have both always been partial to 4x4s and trucks, and she has towed this kind of setup for a lot of years, now. (That's why we had a 2000 Dodge V10 before this new one)

If I were to go with her on the camping trips, she would still be doing the driving as she really knows what she is doing hauling live weight. I do the driving when we're just taking the camper, but she is the expert when it comes to hauling live weight.

The looks they get on their camping trips is hilarious as 4 gals pile out of two trucks pulling horse trailers and campers. Although my wife is the only one with this sort of monster setup in her horse buddy group....her other friend just pulls a horse trailer with no camper behind her Ford. (Her friend's rig is in the background on that pic)

My wife is definitely a keeper. Probably why I have been married to her for 36 years. :D

Last edited: