Firestone tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Besides the crappy tire wear from the Firestones, wait until the first trip on snow.....

I had a 2012 2500 with the same tires only it was a 4x2....could not get out of my driveway in 3 inches of snow.

I almost did not buy a ram because of the tires....but GM and Ford had Goodyears which I have always had terrrible luck with....

Oh well, back to the tire shop with my new $45,000 truck....ugh!

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Besides the crappy tire wear from the Firestones, wait until the first trip on snow.....

I had a 2012 2500 with the same tires only it was a 4x2....could not get out of my driveway in 3 inches of snow.

I almost did not buy a ram because of the tires....but GM and Ford had Goodyears which I have always had terrrible luck with....

Oh well, back to the tire shop with my new $45,000 truck....ugh!

Yeah, my Ram wasn't going anywhere in the snow unless I had several hundred pounds of sand in the bed, or 4x4 engaged. Hopefully the Michelins are better. They are definitely better in the rain.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any truck with highway tires and 2wd will struggle on snow and ice without traction aids.

These Transforce are more an mpg tire than anything. Limited capabilities offroad or snow and ice.

I have had goodyears, michelins, and Transforce in the last 10yrs. I run about 300lbs of sand in the bed over the rear axle and rarely need 4x4.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe there are 2 different Firestone here ? AT& HW
Only got 6000 on mine hiway type no problems in rain . I really got no complaints as of yet. They seem to run smooth & quiet I value those qualities. Don't plan on off roading or snow driving .

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Because visually they look like ****, so mentally they perform like ****....need to justify the new tires some how :cheers:

At least you are honest about it.

Transforce tires are crap though. I may get 25K out of them will probably change mine before the first predicted winter storm hits this year because I do not trust them either.

Last edited:

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Bought my truck in the winter of 2014-15. Drove home from the dealer and it started to snow. VERY quickly realized just how bad these Firestones were in the snow, and I turned around and went to my Tire place and bought dedicated snows for it.

I have no problem with these tires in the summer, I don't go anywhere off road and it is mostly paved driving for me so I'll wait till they wear out for replacement. Currently only have 24,000km on them and they're still fine.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Any truck with highway tires and 2wd will struggle on snow and ice without traction aids.

These Transforce are more an mpg tire than anything. Limited capabilities offroad or snow and ice.

I have had goodyears, michelins, and Transforce in the last 10yrs. I run about 300lbs of sand in the bed over the rear axle and rarely need 4x4.

Tell that to the FCA engineers that spec this tire as an upgrade when you get the SNOW CHIEF plowing pkg from the factory...It's the most comical thing I have ever seen offered on an H.D. truck specifically setup for snowplowing...SHAME ON FCA...Really, They should be ashamed they put this tire on their version of a plow truck...Look at the thread on this tire...LOL...No way is this a pattern for an H.D. snowplow truck...

Attachments

• fs_transforce_atowl_pdpcrop.jpg
    fs_transforce_atowl_pdpcrop.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell that to the FCA engineers that spec this tire as an upgrade when you get the SNOW CHIEF plowing pkg from the factory...It's the most comical thing I have ever seen offered on an H.D. truck specifically setup for snowplowing...SHAME ON FCA...Really, They should be ashamed they put this tire on their version of a plow truck...
Playing with the online builder...

In the tradesman, the snow chief adds the 275/70r18 OWL "on/off-road" replacing the smaller 245/70r17 BSW "all season"

My guess is the Firestone Transforce is probably about as aggressive as it gets from the factory without selecting the Power Wagon option.

Let's face it, no all season or on-off road tire is optimized for snow and ice. An no true off road tire is going to give satisfactory manners on road to the average buyer. If you are planning on plowing for a living, get some good studded snow tires or a set of chains.

This kind of reminds me of way back in 69. Mopar offered a stripped down Road Runner with a 440 6 barrel. Steel wheels with no covers just chrome lug nuts and pizza cutter tires. The thought was it was meant for racing, and a true racer is just going to replace the wheels and tires with slicks.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Playing with the online builder...

In the tradesman, the snow chief adds the 275/70r18 OWL "on/off-road" replacing the smaller 245/70r17 BSW "all season"

My guess is the Firestone Transforce is probably about as aggressive as it gets from the factory without selecting the Power Wagon option.

Let's face it, no all season or on-off road tire is optimized for snow and ice. An no true off road tire is going to give satisfactory manners on road to the average buyer. If you are planning on plowing for a living, get some good studded snow tires or a set of chains.

This kind of reminds me of way back in 69. Mopar offered a stripped down Road Runner with a 440 6 barrel. Steel wheels with no covers just chrome lug nuts and pizza cutter tires. The thought was it was meant for racing, and a true racer is just going to replace the wheels and tires with slicks.

We can't run chains on the city streets in MN. We have to plow with just rubber tires. When I plowed I had the BFG All-terrains in load range E. They were great, but I guess the compounds are softer now, and they do not last as long.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you look at reviews on these tires you see people who buy them in the aftermarket world like them, but when you get them from the factory they suck. I would venture a guess there are 2 different tread compounds causing the oem tires to wear very quickly. It almost seems like some people get the aftermarket tires for how slow they wear compared to others. If it were a couple people that had quick wear issues it is one thing but when most of the people do you have to blame the tires.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just did the first balance and rotate on my HT at 7400m. They still look like new. Have driven very little in the rain but didn't notice any problems. I'm going to be in Arizona until mid december and have to drive back to Colorado pulling my TT. I'm concerned about that, have some high passes to cross, will try to wait for a snow free window to make the trip. My next door neighbor liked my truck so much he just bought a 2500 Cummins. He changed out the tires as soon as he got home from the dealer. Nokian Rotiiva AT plus, great looking tread pattern and he says they are quiet on the highway. If they work out for him, that's what I will go with when it is time.

Last edited:

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe there are 2 different Firestone here ? AT& HW
Only got 6000 on mine hiway type no problems in rain . I really got no complaints as of yet. They seem to run smooth & quiet I value those qualities. Don't plan on off roading or snow driving .

AT which is supposedly on/off road and HT which is all season. Not much difference in the tread pattern.

thirstybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I replaced mine with only 600 miles on them. I put 295/65/20 Nitto terra G2s on it and the ride and look is so much better.

spencerondrums

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas hemi
can I install a plow on a power wagon if I remove the winch?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
can I install a plow on a power wagon if I remove the winch?
You revived a REALLY old thread to ask this?

I think you could. But I wouldn't. A Power Wagon isn't built for it. The suspension is FAR too soft to support the added weight of the plow. Unless you're going to be adding stiffer springs, but that negates the purpose-build of the Wagon.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You revived a REALLY old thread to ask this?
A really old thread with zero relevance to the question :) I was reading through and couldn't believe OP had a 10 year old truck with only 19K miles.