First and last time Dodge Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have/had a ‘99 Ram, ‘06 Charger, ‘14 Ram, & ‘15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, those 4 have less issues combined then the ‘05 Tahoe I traded for the Jeep.
All bought brand new, only one I still don’t have is the ‘99, had to thin the herd.

patyacht

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7; Aisin; 4:10 Gears
WOW. Not another my brand is better than your brand thread. Go back to Chevy the weakest truck of the 3 and don't come back. We don't want whiners and snivelers!!!

Last edited:

telcoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wrote off my 2007 Ram (rolled it). I had a 2004 duramax before that, changed injectors 4 times at 5k a shot. The ram i had to do the trany, but it was pretty reliable. I spend 6 months a year in Mexico and getting a 5.9 serviced there was a lot easier than a duramax.. IMO a Ford body, chev tranny & dodge engine is what you need.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Go to your local Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Nissan dealer, and take a walk around back....to that large building with all of the noise coming out of it....It's called the service center. Know why that's there? Because their **** breaks, too.

I trade-in my trucks every two years, and I've owned them all...they all have good and bad. I could go on for days about the bad, but instead focus on the good. To let a broken EM stud condemn an entire brad for you, especially on a truck that's 7 years old, seems a bit whiney to me.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I love my RAM, it’s got 60k miles, bought it used with 50k, and asides from 5 damn recalls I had to get completed, I had the little issue with broken manifold bolts, which ended up getting me a new passenger side head, new manifold gaskets and bolts. Other that that she’s been peachy, my 2010 Silverado has 100k miles, bought it used with 28k miles, and I have spent ZERO dollars in repairs, changed the trans fluid, diff fluid, coolant, spark plugs etc, by the factory maintenance schedule at 100k focking miles, and she’s running like a damn champ. I have both parked side by side outside my garage, and if we’re going to talk reliability, I have a lot more stories to tell from the Dodge side, and zero from my Chevy.

OP, good luck with your endeavors, I know exactly what you mean, this is my 1st Dodge truck as well, and hopefully I won’t regret it :)
So Tha Ram had 20K Plus more miles on it when you bought it and that is your comparison? LOL

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I got 2 brand new Dorman manifolds, clearly marked Made in China!!!

I have been threw a 2003, 2011, 2014, and now a 2019. NONE had the Tick issues...In fact the 2003 went 123000 miles was traded in for the 2011 had never been in shop for any thing other than normal routine service it still had original battery in it! It was a first year Generation truck too....The First year for the hemi 5.7.

I had a 2013 truck with 19000 miles it ,bought new it had terrible Stink issues...traded it off for the 2014

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ram, the only truck that offers a lifetime warranty. Nuff said.

geeksrustech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
been a Chevy man all my life, multiple Chevy trucks, 1970 camaro rd/ss 1970 Chevelle ss big block, 1996 Pontiac GTO 6.0 6 speed. I can honestly say I never had any issues besides wear and tear.
Last year I picked up a super mint 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie crew cab, once I drove it, I fell in love with it, and decided to give the dodge a shot.
92,000 miles on the truck, I’ve changed the front wheels baring and tie Rod ends. Last week the famous exhaust tick started, so I ordered 2 new Dorman manifolds and bolts, upon inspection, 2 broken manifold bolts on the driver side. One of my friend a 35 year seasoned mechanic hasn’t been able to extract one bolt so far, 2 days of welding nuts to the stud.
Never again will I own a dodge! Wile my dodge is in the shop I’m driving my 2004 old trusty 2004 Chevy 4x4 with 257,000 on it, and still running like a champ. Dodge ad a chance to grab a new coustomer from Chevy, but failed. Going to trade it soon, and going back to what has worked me before

LOL, I bought a 1984 Camaro with 15000 miles on it and the damn transmission blew! I'm NEVER buying Chevy again!

fishhooker2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
been a Chevy man all my life, multiple Chevy trucks, 1970 camaro rd/ss 1970 Chevelle ss big block, 1996 Pontiac GTO 6.0 6 speed. I can honestly say I never had any issues besides wear and tear.
Last year I picked up a super mint 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie crew cab, once I drove it, I fell in love with it, and decided to give the dodge a shot.
92,000 miles on the truck, I’ve changed the front wheels baring and tie Rod ends. Last week the famous exhaust tick started, so I ordered 2 new Dorman manifolds and bolts, upon inspection, 2 broken manifold bolts on the driver side. One of my friend a 35 year seasoned mechanic hasn’t been able to extract one bolt so far, 2 days of welding nuts to the stud.
Never again will I own a dodge! Wile my dodge is in the shop I’m driving my 2004 old trusty 2004 Chevy 4x4 with 257,000 on it, and still running like a champ. Dodge ad a chance to grab a new coustomer from Chevy, but failed. Going to trade it soon, and going back to what has worked me before

fishhooker2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I gave been a Ram fan for many years but this will be my last... I have owned a 1998... 2003 Cummins ... and now this 2014 Ram 2500 HD with the Hemi. I drive the crap out of my truck as it has 125,000 on the clock and is starting to rot out in the usual spots...bed and front fenders. I have always had this truck dealer serviced and am very active with the maintenance. When I brought the rot to the dealers attention they said there was nothing they could do as it was out of warranty... I called corporate and they told me I was S.O.L... they would not repair it. Why is there a mileage limit on corrosion ? I have only had this truck 4 years... So Dissatisfied !!!

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it makes NO difference what you buy or own. All the manufacture have a small set of vehicles that go bad, do not care what brand, what year or anything else. And most of us all generally have great vehicle, no matter the brand, and we enjoy them to no end. What really divides the reasonable person is what we like, or don't like about styling, or how something sits and rides, those are REAL factor which make a difference because the engineering behind them is different. For tie rods, exhaust, and whatever mechanical flip a coin it'll make NO difference, they all have their problems. Could tell you about my best friend, die hard Ford guy and his 2016..no I won't it will sound like you and your 2011.

SJGUSMC21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

I have owned 4 Dodges during my lifetime. The first three were FANTASTIC. Never a problem unless self inflicted. However my latest, a Ram LS CC V6, will probably be my last. I bought it 2 years old, with 25k on it, but like new CONDITION. The issues I have had, doesn't add up. Unless I hear REALLY GREAT REPORTS on the newer models, it certainly will be my last. With that said, I am no fan of the Bowtie, and they will never get another cent of my money. Was REALLY screwed over by them, and will never let that happen again. It will either be Ford or Nissan next.

rjs2005

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned trucks from each of the Big 3, had good and bad with all of them at one time or another. My Chevy's were older trucks, fairly reliable, and I shopped newer ones when I bought all my trucks- couldn't find one that suited my needs or a price that I was willing to pay. Every Ford truck I owned had an issue with the turn signal- the wiring harness plug would break and the plug would back out, rendering the turn signals useless. Easy fix- just wrap a tie-wrap around it, and it's hidden inside the steering column cladding, but a quality product shouldn't fail like that. My last Ford developed a leak in the cab between the front door and the rear-opening back door- the cab itself had cracked at the top. I haven't given up on Fords, but like GM's, I haven't found one that suits my needs at a price I'm willing to pay.
Enter Dodge/Ram. I'm on my 4th. I had a 1988 Dakota that was a tough lil' sumb--ch, a 2008 Bighorn QC with a 4.7L- never gave me trouble, but terrible fuel economy. I had a '15 Black Express single cab that I loved- the only problem was a passenger's front wheel bearing, replaced under warranty. I had a need for a larger truck, so I traded it for a '17 Bighorn CC 4x4. 28,000 miles so far and not one issue. I may have issues with it later, but I tend to doubt it, it seems a well-built truck.
Sorry you've soured on the Ram brand. Good luck with your Chevys.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had a 06 Ram, 05 Ram, 06 Dakota, 92 D50, and a 17 Ram. Had pretty much zero issues minus redoing the front end on the Dakota but it had 100k so it was to be expected and only cost me 300 to do myself with high end parts.

My 06 Silverado had the rear end redone twice, the seat frame broke and a metal bar constantly poked me in the back from the lumbar, the paint fell off the hood and it had like 4 inch holes in the paint of a well maintained and waxed vehicle. This was in like 1.5 years of owning it

OP
OP
ilovemyramlaremie

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
WOW. Not another my brand is better than your brand thread. Go back to Chevy the weakest truck of the 3 and don't come back. We don't want whiners and snivelers!!!
First let me say YOU Can go FU yourself. Then let me say, go back to school, put the pipe down and learn how to read and comprehend what you are reading. Show me where I said one brand is better than the other??? Waiting.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
First, as many have pointed out to buy a vehicle when most are trading out of the "new car" and have problems is ridiculous. When you buy an older vehicle it is a crap shoot, period.

Have fun with your next Chevy, I personally would never support a company that tried to cover up defects resulting in at least 124 deaths and thousands of injuries to save money on a recall and not one white collar bean counter served a day in jail, and this is just one instance in which they were caught...

As much the recalls aggravate me on the RAM at least they are stepping up to deal with issues.