First Impressions of Red Line oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wait, i like the red color on the jug. Thats why i buy it.

I gotta agree,i like the red too. Damn near fell over laughing OCD,i don't care who you are,that was funny,lol.Maybe we should start turning some of these posts around,and ask the non-believers to provide stats or info proving Redline blew up an engine,they seem to want us to prove other oils blew up an engine,maybe it's time to ask them to prove Redline hurt an engine.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotta agree,i like the red too. Damn near fell over laughing OCD,i don't care who you are,that was funny,lol.Maybe we should start turning some of these posts around,and ask the non-believers to provide stats or info proving Redline blew up an engine,they seem to want us to prove other oils blew up an engine,maybe it's time to ask them to prove Redline hurt an engine.

EXACTLY ! I'm tired of this see it over and over. They won't let us just talk about our nerd stuff, and leave us be. I made that exact comment not long ago, somewhere about them always wanting proof, its there go look for it, many blackstone reports. I'm not and don't expect any one else to prove our beliefs every time one of them want it. You know how busy we would be. If i want to believe in aliens then i will, i don't need proof. Just gonna believe. And to boot hes CTD. Were talking GAS engines here. More " PROOF " of trolliness. Don't know if your supposed to run redline in diesel, don't know if they have a diesel oil, again were talking gas here. If i had a diesel thats where i would be looking. Not here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just switched to Schaeffer's as its sold locally to me. Curious to see how it performs. What viscosity Redline are you guys running?

5w30 in the 5.7, or 5w40 in the 6.4.

In the cold sometimes guys will get cold piston slap and move over to 0w30.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok guys I'm curious as to whether anybody has any actual firsthand knowledge of engine failure directly caused buy the oil? Because $20 a quart for Redline oil is crazy if there is no REAL advantage.
How many people just buy it because they have been told by others who simply bought in to the marketing hype that it is better?

Nick at gotexhaust sells it like 11 bucks a qrt.

I encourage you to look at the bottom link in my sig. 90% of reported Redline users that had hemi tick report that it made their engine nice and smooth, 60% said it completely killed hemi tick. Can you even imagine that? How can an oil change kill hemi tick by so many random long term ram forum members?

So there are a couple scientific reasons why this is happening, nobody can tell you which is more important, but... Redline has polar base oils like esters, stable branched lubrication molecules such as PAO's, and super high moly that can create a plate in high pressure areas, which undoubtedly hemi tick is one. There is a synthetic oil thread, much more there for you if you are interested. We tear down oil formulas as much as we can and discuss it. This has led to massive forum testing and interesting results, both in the uoa thread and in the redline kill hemi tick thread.

If you are rained in some weekend, check out syn oil thread.

To answer your question, there is widespread engine failures with the hemi's and cams, how can we say lubrication is not part of the reason? Interesting results when you consider everything that is going on with the testing, long term wear numbers suggest it cures hemi tick as opposed to just quieting it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Gr8bawana had a legitimate question guys, let's not be so sensitive about it. I get it some guys are flaming the issue, but sometimes we should discuss as opposed to judging so quick.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I can't answer your question in regards to the engine failures with other oils,but 5W-30 Redline has kept my 6600 rpm shifted nitrous fed toy alive for 70,000 and over 500 dragstrip passes and it still runs the numbers it ran a few years ago,and the compression is dead even at 215 psi across all 8 holes.Just did my yearly compression test ,sparkplug swap,and peek in the cylinders with my borescope,and everything still looks good,lol Whether that can be attributed to being on Redline from it's first oil change at 500 miles or not I can't say,but I don't think it's hurt the engine either. BTW I don't think your 6.7 Cummins uses 5W-20 does it,so kind of curious why you think you really have much to add in the way of info.Clue me into why you think you should be heard when you don't have a 5.7 equipped truck???

Because I have '97 1500 with a 5.9 gas engine that has just under 300K miles on it 100% original engine and trans. If you believe everything I have read on this forum it should have self destructed 20 years ago because it has only been fed plain old dino oil. Brand never mattered, I used Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoine, all dino oil.
Also I never used anything but regular Fram filters which from also reading on this forum are garbage.
So from real life observations over the last 40+ years with my other trucks as well I KNOW there is no reason to buy into the marketing hype.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Because I have '97 1500 with a 5.9 gas engine that has just under 300K miles on it 100% original engine and trans. If you believe everything I have read on this forum it should have self destructed 20 years ago because it has only been fed plain old dino oil. Brand never mattered, I used Penzoil, Quaker State, Valvoine, all dino oil.
Also I never used anything but regular Fram filters which from also reading on this forum are garbage.
So from real life observations over the last 40+ years with my other trucks as well I KNOW there is no reason to buy into the marketing hype.

I think Burla has figured out the percentages of Hemi ticks that have been quieted or minimumized by using Redline,and the stats are in Redlines favour.The Hemi engine is a bit different in respect to it's camshaft life,as it has a habit of eating lifters and cams,probably more from poor quality control over their jobbers hardening process's more then anything,but it does appear that redline does help the surface hardening last a little longer,which in part might have a lot to do with moly's coating abilities.It might be a little bit of marketing hype,but you can't really say it doesn't seem to have some effect with prolonging lifter/cam life. I have yet to see any instances of a redline engine eating the cam,there has to be some i'd guess,but they do seem to be in the minority.Take it for what you like,but Redline does seem to offer some benefit.Not sure why you'd give 2 ***** though as you don't run redline in your 6.7 or your 5.9,so what is your purpose in trying to discredit Redline ,if guys want to run it,and it works for them,why does it bother you.It's oil for flucks sake,why do you care what other guys are using,are they hurting your engines with their choice of oil,lol. Must be slow on the diesal forums these days,lol

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
So since I'm a newby at least to the Hemi, do any of the chain automotive parts stores sell Redline?
I like to buy my oil locally since I can take the waste oil to them for disposal.
I know I can buy Mobil 1 locally, how does that perform?
Since I only have 9 k miles on my 17 I think I should make the switch now.
Thanks in advance

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
So since I'm a newby at least to the Hemi, do any of the chain automotive parts stores sell Redline?
I like to buy my oil locally since I can take the waste oil to them for disposal.
Thanks in advance

Just fyi, local stores will take it for free. My local VIP will take used oil for free.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks in advance

dealer locator , you would have to call to verify they sell the oil, sometimes their dealers wont carry all products. I would suggest pricing Nick@gotexhaust to compare, he sells the stuff cheaper then redine on redline's website, a few bucks per qrt cheaper then my local napa.

Greif

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know what truely causes the lifters to tick? Do they start sticking a bit or bleed down when engine is off or something else? If sticking does redline help buy cleaning better or is it thicker or thinner so doesn't bleed down?
Thanks

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know what truely causes the lifters to tick? Do they start sticking a bit or bleed down when engine is off or something else? If sticking does redline help buy cleaning better or is it thicker or thinner so doesn't bleed down?
Thanks

My opinion is the oil is draining out of the lifters after sitting, i run 5w-30 now, no startup tick, i can MAKE it do it by cranking COLD running a minute or two and shutting down. Come back next day, tick tick tick. So the cool (thin) oil got in the lifters on startup, and didn't have time to thicken up (warm) so that THIN oil ran out over night.

When the 30wt (warm oil from driving) is in the lifters, overnight or even a week it will not drain out of the lifters. My pea brain theory.

Me and others think the 20wt is little too thin.